LG SJ8 Soundbar - Owners' Thread

Any news on the stand? I have the lg 55b6 and have just ordered the sj8 from JL for £250. The stand would just make it so neat. Best Buy doesn't ship internationally, and US retailers tend to over charge for it even when they do ship.
From what I have read the stand is only compatible with the 2017 models. Worth giving LG a call tho just in case.

From what I have read the stand is only compatible with the 2017 models. Worth giving LG a call tho just in case.
On re-reading LG's site, I think you are right, 2017 models. At least the SJ8 is thin enough not to foul the IR receiver.

On re-reading LG's site, I think you are right, 2017 models. At least the SJ8 is thin enough not to foul the IR receiver.
Ya very good looking sound bar. So far I like it just wish it got a bit louder

[edit]Update on 55" OLED B6 (2016) and SJ8. The SJ8 comes with two 16mm feet that raises it perfectly to slide over the B6 stand whilst not fouling the IR. It looks exactly like the picture above. OK, they're not physically connected, but earthquakes are rare here.

Actually, you can (just) see the feet in daylight, so the bar isn't floating. But looks damn good anyway. Passes the WAF, no problem. Plus the fact it's controlled from the regular LG remote.

You need the LG Music Flow app to set the bar up for e.g. WiFi. Not entirely clear from the manual. It connected to the sub automatically.

I agree with the reviews that the bar isn't as crisp/clear as you'd like, but turning the sub down and the treble up helps. Cinema sound profile sounds the most forward in the "centre" channel.

Last edited:
Update on 55" OLED B6 (2016) and SJ8. The SJ8 comes with two 16mm feet that raises it perfectly to slide over the B6 stand whilst not fouling the IR. It looks exactly like the picture above. OK, they're not physically connected, but earthquakes are rare here.

Nice one! I didn’t know this, remember seeing the feet in the box but didn’t really look at them, thought they were part of the wall bracket! That will make it look neater until I wall mount the b6.

I have the following - LG 60LB580V-ZM, LG 42LB585V-ZM and have bought an SJ8. I have tried to connect the SJ8 to both tv's using HDMI-ARC connections on both the to and the soundbar but I cannot get them to work. When I connect using optical it works perfectly on both tv's. I have bought a new Fast HDMI with Ethernet cable (1M long) to use but this doesn't work on either tv. Am I missing something simple i.e. Is there something on either the soundbar or to tv menus that I need to change. Or is it that the soundbar will not work with these tv's using HDMI ARC connection.

Should work, your tv has HDMI ARC. Use HDMI ARC in on tv and ARC out on soundbar. I assume you have no sky box etc?? You may need to adjust sound settings on tv to elect HDMI arc sound instead of tv speakers. Also make sure the soundbar is on HDMI channel.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I have got sky + hd connected to my tv's via HDMI in.
I have completed an update to the soundbar but this has had no effect whatsoever. I have also tried to configure the speaker using the Music Flow application but this has also had no effect. Struggling here guys!!

Run your sky HDMI into your soundbar HDMI in, and then your other HDMI from the soundbar into the tv, the sky signal will pass through the soundbar. then make sure tv sound settings are set to optical/HDMI (I have LG b6 so imagine option is similar to mine).

Resolved!
As I originally suspected it was a setting in the tv menu.
Once I had turned Simplink on it worked no problem.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Set this up with my new 55" oled LG tv and it's great so far!!

As one other reviewer said - very annoying that it defaults to Optical on startup (i've searched for solutions for this - none) - just means a few seconds extra delay for sound before it switches automatically to the ARC which is what i'm using (surely developers would think of a simple option to change default startup input!!). Actually considering changing to Optical as I don't think it changes sound quality much and means i'll get sound as soon as it's turned on.

Got the deal on Currys so paid £150 for the soundbar (£2k for tv of course!)

Any owners having issues with static/hissing at low volumes? I found one archived thread where a member mentions it (can't find it on the Tapatalk app) but that is it?

At night when I have it around volume 8, it's practically useless, as the sound is so muffled and even distorted. No issues as soon as you get to 10 or above as it drowns out the hiss and the sound becomes clear.

I have an LG 55B7 with an SJ8 sound bar, at the same time I bought an LG UP970 4k blu-ray. I have tried passing the blu-ray hdmi through the sound bar and I get a 'no signal' screen if I connect the blu-ray direct to the TV I don't get hi res sound. I also have a Panasonic DMP-UB700 which does play through the sound bar but I cannot get the home screen of the blu-ray. For those interested I find the sound really good from the SJ8. I also found a perfect fit stand from Currys Ebay site for £99.

Hi just got my B7+SJ8 yesterday, mounted with the LG T8 Stand
connected ARC to ARC on TV and set up audio to go through HDMI with Simplink ON.
Used F to change to HDMI/ARC/Optical and...NO Audio at all :(
I find it weird that display stays on Optical, not ARC
So change the cable with the one that came with my PS4 (even if it was brand new cable)
Still NO audio
Went back to the Box and used Optical Cable
Set up B7 sound to Optical -> Audio !!!

So it works in Optical but not in HDMI, with is bothering me

Could someone please tell me what did I do wrong ?

Also a word on T8 Stand
It's very good and sturdy (it's metal not plastic as I thoug on pictures)
BUT
Don't buy it at curry, they are ripping UK customers off
$49@BestBuy,49€@Fnac,£99@Curry
100% more expensive !?!? :eek:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Could someone please tell me what did I do wrong ?

Not really, sounds as though you're doing everything right. Definitely plugged into HDMI2 at the TV end (think that's the ARC one)? I have a C7 + T8 + SJ8 and found it's quite hard to get the HDMI cable plugged in fully at the soundbar end so maybe check that?

I can get the sound on my SJ8 without any problems, it's the video I can't always get which is frustrating. I am going to recheck that the HDMI cables are fully in to the sound bar and report back.

Have checked the HDMI connections into the sound bar - seem fine, still can't get the home screen on either an LG UP970 or a Panasonic DMP-UB700 it doesn't get a signal at the ARC socket until the disc is played the LG Up970 doesn't send a signal at all even though only used for a week before sending back for repair. I have a B7 TV. The issues seem to be with the sound bar but having the perfect fit stand it is difficult to send back.

Solved
Silly me thought that turning Simplink ON in Audio/HDMI settings was the way to go for ARC.
Nope
You must go first to General Settings, select SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and turn it on.
THEN only you can go to sound > Sound Out > Audio Out (HDMI ARC) and turn it on.
Et voila, ARC is workinkg as a charm.

So randomly yesterday the sound stopped working (via ARC). So having done all sorts of troubleshooting - found that switching off at mains (not just standby) then on again sorts it. Grrr!
Otherwise very happy still with the sound / connectivity etc.

Now need to pack away the extra HDMI / Optical cables & old sound bar i used to troubleshoot!!! :(

Got my LG 65C7 delivered last week and looking for a nice clean soundbar. I'm very sad to read about LG's permanent display on SJ8. What were they thinking? My C7 is so clean and there aren't any led lights on it at all when it's on. I certainly don't want a soundbar below with a permanent display showing what input mode is on all the time. It's fine if it does for 3-5 seconds but why would I have the need to be reminded of the input mode all the time? God damn it LG.
Fix this with an FW update or release your 2018 soundbars with no permanent display.

I found this but for a different older LG soundbar model: Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers
So there's an app that hides the text but the soundbar forgets this setting whenever it's powered off and on again. Also a sleep button on the remote. Again, the soundbar seems to forget it. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
I found this but for a different older LG soundbar model: Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers
So there's an app that hides the text but the soundbar forgets this setting whenever it's powered off and on again. Also a sleep button on the remote. Again, the soundbar seems to forget it. Can anyone confirm this?

I just tried the Sleep button and it just dims the display to the level that it dims to anyway. In the app you can turn off the LED but not the display. Personally I find it dims enough that it doesn't bother me at all but you sound rather more sensitive!

As you are looking for a 'clean' system. I wanted to check you aware of the T8 bracket to connect the C7 and SJ8 (albeit at a cool £100);
LG T8 TV & Sound Bar Bracket

I just tried the Sleep button and it just dims the display to the level that it dims to anyway. In the app you can turn off the LED but not the display. Personally I find it dims enough that it doesn't bother me at all but you sound rather more sensitive!

As you are looking for a 'clean' system. I wanted to check you aware of the T8 bracket to connect the C7 and SJ8 (albeit at a cool £100);
LG T8 TV & Sound Bar Bracket

Yeah I'm aware of the T8 stand but I actually like the the C7 stand so not sure about the T8. I'd totally go for the T8 if I had the the B7 model though. The B7 stand is awful.

Alright so I take it you're not disturbed by the led light of SJ8 then? Have not seen it irl. Just read the reviews on amazon.com where almost everyone brought it up. That brought me worried. Will have to take a look at it in store.

Guys do any of you have Music Flow Speakers (H4s or H7s), im having issues with the rear speakers configuration, i get them to pair to the SJ8 on the surround mode but i have a constant scratching sound on them. Has anyone solved this?

Hi guys
Im looking to get the SJ8 to go with my LG OLEDB6V and was just wondering if there is a way to expand the amount of HDMI inputs as id like to be able to use if for my SKY box and my PS4 without having to keep unplugging them each time I want a different source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom