LG SJ8 Soundbar - Owners' Thread

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Unless I'm missing something, I can't find a thread for this. I've picked up an LG B7 OLED, and as part of a deal I wrangled, I got an LG SJ8 soundbar thrown in.

There aren't any reviews on it yet that I can find. Anyone know anything about it, or had any hands-on time with it?

LG LG SJ8 Soundbar | LG UK

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Unless I'm missing something, I can't find a thread for this. I've picked up an LG B7 OLED, and as part of a deal I wrangled, I got an LG SJ8 soundbar thrown in.

There aren't any reviews on it yet that I can find. Anyone know anything about it, or had any hands-on time with it?

What do you think of it ,how does the ATMOS effect sound ?

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
I haven't set it up yet - I'll be doing that in about another week or so, once I have some work completed on the electrics in my house.

I'm thinking I might keep it for a while, then sell it and get an Atmos bar. Unlikely to be the SJ9 though. More likely to be the Yamaha 5600 or the Sony.

I haven't really decided, though. If it's good enough, I might just keep it until next year, see what new Atmos models arrive (or how good this year's ones get after some firmware updates).

Last edited:

peteyoung

Standard Member
I haven't set it up yet - I'll be doing that in about another week or so, once I have some work completed on the electrics in my house.

I'm thinking I might keep it for a while, then sell it and get an Atmos bar. Unlikely to be the SJ9 though. More likely to be the Yamaha 5600 or the Sony.

I haven't really decided, though. If it's good enough, I might just keep it until next year, see what new Atmos models arrive (or how good this year's ones get after some firmware updates).

I took delivery of a B7 and SJ8 this weekend after getting the same bundle, was hoping to mount the TV on the soundbar using the 'Perfect Fit Kit' mentioned on the product page here:

Picture Perfect Audio Stand
Picture perfect audio partner. Matching select LG TVs this soundbar comes with a bespoke television mount, replacing your TV stand for the optimum audio visual partnership. Bring symphony to your home entertainment experience with a fully integrated solution.

Provides the Perfect Fit with a special TV stand bracket unifying your TV & Soundbar. *Support Model : 2017 LG 65”, 55” OLED TV (C7, B7) / 65”, 55” Super UHD (SJ95, SJ85, SJ80) & UHD (UJ75, 65)
However, after unpacking both products I'm disappointed to find no replacement stand is included. Here's a picture of what I was expecting:

01_SJ8_TV%20Matching%20Design(sub).jpg

Let me know how you get on with yours!

AmberLamps1

Novice Member
I took delivery of a B7 and SJ8 this weekend after getting the same bundle, was hoping to mount the TV on the soundbar using the 'Perfect Fit Kit' mentioned on the product page here:

Picture Perfect Audio Stand
Picture perfect audio partner. Matching select LG TVs this soundbar comes with a bespoke television mount, replacing your TV stand for the optimum audio visual partnership. Bring symphony to your home entertainment experience with a fully integrated solution.

Provides the Perfect Fit with a special TV stand bracket unifying your TV & Soundbar. *Support Model : 2017 LG 65”, 55” OLED TV (C7, B7) / 65”, 55” Super UHD (SJ95, SJ85, SJ80) & UHD (UJ75, 65)
However, after unpacking both products I'm disappointed to find no replacement stand is included. Here's a picture of what I was expecting:

01_SJ8_TV%20Matching%20Design(sub).jpg

Let me know how you get on with yours!
Wait the sj8 doesn't come with the replacement mount? This is on eof the reasons I bought it. I have an LG OLEDB6P and wanted tp integrate this with my TV. I got it for a steal ($230) from buydig.com its supposed to get here later this week.

peteyoung

Standard Member
Wait the sj8 doesn't come with the replacement mount? This is on eof the reasons I bought it. I have an LG OLEDB6P and wanted tp integrate this with my TV. I got it for a steal ($230) from buydig.com its supposed to get here later this week.

Well according to LG's own website, it should be included. I've raised a case with LG support and they just keep telling me it's a separate part due to be released 'soon' (in the UK I guess - it's for sale in the US here: LG - Sound Bar Bracket Stand for Most LG OLED TVs up to 65" - Black) and I'll need to purchase one.

Totally disappointed. I'm going to try contacting Currys (who I purchased it from using a link from the LG site) - stupidly thought LG would be able to help seeing as it's their own website that's misleading.

Fingers crossed you get one with yours!

Last edited:

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Just a quick update to say that I was honestly going to sell on my SJ8 (it was part of my B7 bundle) and get an Atmos soundbar, and that is still the longer term plan.

However, I tried to pair my B7 with a Yamaha YSP-2500 in the meantime, and it was having none of it. Just didn't want to know - real nasty handshake issues that I couldn't resolve.

In the meantime, I opted to just live with it and open the box on my SJ8, and use it until I'm ready to pull the plug on something else.

I'll give a fuller update later once I've spent a bit more time with it, but so far so good.

It's a soundbar. It's not as good as a full separates system. But the dialogue is crisp, and the subwoofer gives a good rumble to the bass (in fact, two reviews I read stated that the subwoofer was too much and they had to turn it down, although I haven't found that). It's punchy where it needs to be, and subtle where it doesn't - and best of all, I don't really notice it. The audio blends seamlessly with the video as it goes, just as it's meant to.

It's not going to change your life, and there are probably other good soundbars out there for the same price. But it's no slouch either, and it's a doddle to set up and use.

Perfect for now, and I'm pleased I got it in the bundle.

The only complaints I have are design related: like its big brother the SJ9, it only has one HDMI input. Additionally, the bar is slim, but very long - same width as the 55B7.

CrazyDelta

Standard Member
I was in John Lewis and stumbled upon the LG SJ8. It seemed to be in the right price bracket for me and had features such as Chromecast built-in which seemed very appealing. When they turned this on, I was very impressed by the sound. I held off from purchasing it and thought I'd read some reviews first. Haven't really found any online.

So if you guys have been using it, some feedback here would be much appreciated.

AmberLamps1

Novice Member
I was in John Lewis and stumbled upon the LG SJ8. It seemed to be in the right price bracket for me and had features such as Chromecast built-in which seemed very appealing. When they turned this on, I was very impressed by the sound. I held off from purchasing it and thought I'd read some reviews first. Haven't really found any online.

So if you guys have been using it, some feedback here would be much appreciated.
Only complaint it could be louder.

CrazyDelta

Standard Member
Richer Sounds have an additional FlashSale £50 off the SJ8 until 9pm tonight. So for a very slim soundbar, with Hi-Res Audio, up-conversion, chromecast support - going for £349 - would anyone recommend or compare this to something else at the same price point that I should consider?

Thanks

CrazyDelta

Standard Member
CrazyDelta, did you end up buying the soundbar?

Not yet. Got until 9pm for the £50 Flashsale discount. I may wait until 8:59pm for the decision. ;-)
But I'm very eager. I don't see any other options in the price range with the cast ability. I was originally eyeing the Sony HT-CT800 as well as the Sony HT-NT5.

But after listening to the NT5 compared to the SJ8 in John Lewis, the SJ8 just sounded so much better.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise and somehow my ears were deceiving me.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
I don't honestly use my soundbars for music very often, and I haven't got round to it yet. It's extremely simple to set up and use, though.

See above for my thoughts - my front room has terrible acoustics, but the soundbar works really well for what I want.

Frekz

Standard Member
Has anyone tried to connect wirelessly (LG TV + LG soundbar)? What quality and audio formats can you expect?

CrazyDelta

Standard Member
I don't honestly use my soundbars for music very often, and I haven't got round to it yet. It's extremely simple to set up and use, though.

See above for my thoughts - my front room has terrible acoustics, but the soundbar works really well for what I want.

Cool. Thanks for your thoughts. I ordered this yesterday. Will see how it goes.

CrazyDelta

Standard Member
It has been a few weeks since I purchased this and so I thought I'd provide a short update to my experience with this bar. I have been pleasantly impressed with the quality of this sound bar. This has been my first venture into getting a stand alone audio system and in terms of features, this was awesome. HDMI ARC, Google Cast, Bluetooth, etc etc.

The sound for movies, depending on the source of the content, is also very good. It is as loud as it needs to be without overblowing it to an extent where someone (such as neighbours) would complain. The bass is good, and I actually enjoy the standard settings. I was watching Deadpool yesterday night witha friend, and he actually said he loved the sound on my system. Not knowing anything about the fact I had just bought this soundbar.

Slight issue - which I think is not specific to this soundbar. When I turn on my TV, the connection source is always Optical (yes, I have both Optical and HDMI ARC connected), so I cannot control volume from the TV Remote. I always have to manually switch to HDMI Arc from the soundbar remote first. Not a biggie, but would be awesome, if it just remains on HDMI Arc all the time.

In terms of music, I think the only things i'd say is that it is good but not superb. I'm not an audiophile, but i do like and play a lot of music. Someone with more experience would say something along the lines of this soundbar not having enough 'detail'. I think.

I went through various ideas of what I would do if I wanted something better for music, but it all came down to a 3 things. Price, Features and Convenience. The size of the bar is just perfect for me. It is so slim and tidy in front of my 50 inch Hisense TV, it compliments it perfectly sitting on the TV cabinet. The convenience and size is not something I could find in other options. Especially not with any Audio Receiver + Speakers setup or other much larger soundbars. Nor the price. Google Cast is also awesome. Never have to worry about moving around with my phone around the house and losing bluetooth connection. Also don't have to worry about bluetooth killing away my battery. And when friends are over, they just hop onto Spotify and play what they want. Excellent stuff.

For now, I'm very happy with this purchase and maybe one day I would venture into a more advanced home cinema system with a bigger budget. For now, this will keep me content.

AVgulag

Standard Member
Any news on the stand? I have the lg 55b6 and have just ordered the sj8 from JL for £250. The stand would just make it so neat. Best Buy doesn't ship internationally, and US retailers tend to over charge for it even when they do ship.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio