LG Scarlet

Janji

Standard Member
Anyone got this lcd yet?. I'm curious about how good it is. I'm waiting for the led one, but i find this one really interesting and might get it.

Winspiration

LED one?

When that's coming out?

I'm very interested in this set, too. There's got to be someone who owns this set on this site! :eek:

Winspiration

Found another review, but it was on a Swedish website. I managed to translate some, but not all, of it. It got 80% and the only bad point it had really was the price, but it's an excellent price over here, given the size and spec.

Janji

Standard Member
LED one?

When that's coming out?

I'm very interested in this set, too. There's got to be someone who owns this set on this site! :eek:

No idea when the led will be out but it's sometime this year. It might be around August/September but that's just a wild guess.

DaveJN

Standard Member
Working for a UK electronics retailer (who shall remain nameless) I've seen the new LG Scarlet TVs.

I'm not really impressed. I haven't had time to really play with the units but the using-your-finger-to-turn-it(her!?)-on thing is a gimmick. I don't like the look of the units - the bottom is too chunky and the sound quality on the invisible speakers is very poor in my opinion.

Picture quality is good however, I've seen them hooked up to both the HD feed and on the analogue/freeview feeds and the picture looks pretty good.

Given the choice I'd much rather get a series 6 samsung. Much nicer looking with picture quality as good or better IMO.

dbeevers

Well having waited and waited the local C***ys has one in so went and had a look. Can't say anything about the picture as it wasn't hooked up, but I can say the back is better looking than the front. When you see it against the Sharp, Samsung, Sony range why the hell would you want that on your wall its terrible.

AcademicBarzo

Not much is being said about this TV. Do people here not like it? Or is everybody in favor of the samsung over it?

Depends. I had such a bad experience with Samsung (M8 series) that I decided "never again" - bad clouding, bad backlight hum, humbars with 24hz material and on SCART (none of them fixed by service intervention or firmware). Bad quality control and poor customer service, imho. Plus, I find any level of clouding unacceptable (feature of S-PVA panels used/manufactured by Samsung (and Sony, and now used by Tosh in their ZF series). From the threads, some people do get a good Sammy, and seem very pleased. Others are not. I am one of the others.

Chose the LG as an alternative, as I know it uses different panel tech. Was very sceptical (and not sure I like the design either, although it is growing on me), but am pleased overall. Black level response is ok rather than great - clearly behind the Samsung (and other SPVA panel) models. Does not suffer from clouding or obvious backlight bleed, however (although that could simply be me being lucky with the particular set I own). However, I have not found any issues as yet, has excellent user control systems (fast and also allow tweaking to nth degree - all settings are per input for each mode), so am happy with my purchase.

Think PQ is overall pretty good, and scaling of SD sources is fine. Would say that it lacks the 'pop' of the Samsung/Sony panels (due to weaker black level response), and is perhaps not as hyper-real in terms of detail as those panels/sets. At the end of the day, you pays your money and makes your choice. I had hoped to have calibrated my set by now, but have been so busy at work that I have not had a chance. Hopefully this weekend - am sure that will improve black level, but doubt it will get it to Samsung levels. On plus side, no black crush that I notice.

tigermanuk69

Standard Member
I have its predecessor the 37lg5010 & I prefer the look of mine, the bottom of the scarlet is too chunky & the silly on/off thing seeps light & distracts from the image.
42" & above have 100Hz which mine doesn't as its a 37" but otherwise very similar screens I believe. I compared mine directly to a samsung 6 right next to it on the same High Def feed & the LG won hands down imo & i'm a bit wary of all these issues on the sammys.

The speakers are ok, take some setting up (but thats personal choice on my part). the intelligent sensor feature is useless! the pic quality is truly awesome on 1080p60 from my PS3 for gaming & HD stuff looks fab, no bluray discs played yet but the image of my upscaled standard dvds from the PS3's bluray to 1080p60 has made this tv worth its money alone! SDTV pics are average but i haven't really played with the settings properly yet. I know it's not quite the same tv but I hope this helps as they are very similar.

NoDad

When calibrated the PQ is very good (very natural). Good SD pictures from both built in freeview and Sky via RGB scart. 100Hz is excellent on the low setting and makes a BIG difference to all material especially fast moving subjects. Sound is pretty good for a flat panel LCD, much better than the Sammys IMHO.

Requires very little tweeking of the "standard" setting to get to D65 over HDMI. Black is very good (providing you are sensible with the back light level). This set has no real issues as far as I'm aware.

Finally, I think it's very good value for money at £200 less than the Sony W4000 and latest Sammy A656 (and 2" bigger). There is a review here.

dave_e_field

Standard Member
Got the 47" delivered on Sunday, and no complaints so far.

Using with Virgin cable SD box, 360 w/ HD-DVD drive, and cheap Samsung DVD recorder that also upscales to 720p/1080i.

Not had a chance to tweak the settings (think I'll wait for suggestions), but as mentioned HD feeds look superb. Sound is also excellent.

A couple of things though:

1) Blacks could be a bit better, but after coming from a 3.5 year old Sony 32" M1, it's a massive improvement. Pretty sure the setting can improve this to Sony/Samsung standards.
2) The 100hz 'Truemotion' setting. Even on Low, I still see some 'wobbling', especially on fast pans, and around the actors' heads. HD-DVDs and 360 games definitely look better with it off completely. Watching Peep Show on Replay yesterday looked a bit weird too. Suppose it's an acquired taste.
3) Some of the picture options aren't available for all inputs.

That's pretty much it though.

Oh, and I paid £999 delivered from Pixmania. Ordered Thursday morning, and delivered (by Curry's?!?!?) on Sunday. Great service. They had a £200 off discount code running, and I think for that price, it's something of a bargain.

E

edhe

I just purchased the 42lg60fd, Need help calibrating it anyone have one so i can copy some settings? lol

Hi i just got a scarlet too, does anyone have any calibrations?

I'm so busy playing with the features i can't settle..

mcbunny

Novice Member
i have calibrated my 37lg6000 scarlet only on composite so far but it looks stunning

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom