1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ42PX11 Skin Tone problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tgl, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I just purchased the LG RZ42PX11 plasma screen a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that skin tones can be a bit hit or miss. Most people on the screen look like they are suffering from either a strong sun-tan or high blood pressure. Any help with recommended picture settings would be appreciated, because I have tried reducing the Red colour, but it doesn't appear to help much.

Thanks.

Help :lease:

2. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV RGB in
    Low Power off
    Contrast 83
    Bright 54
    Colour 37 (set way to high as standard)
    Sharp 45-50
    Skin 3
    csm normal
    Sky+ Pace box set on brightness max

This is my preference but will be a good start

Component in
    Contrast 83
    Bright 50
    Colour 40
    Sharp 40
    Skin 0
    csm normal
    DVD575 gammer up +5

These setting are with the service menu options set on AV, brightness 100%, overscan 1% and gamma 0

If you use the above settings people will not look red.

Hope this helps

What software version do you have?

M

3. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks vectrasri99 ,

I'll try those settings. I have firmware 5.13 according to the service menu. I am connecting via RGB SCART (Monster cable) to a Sony DVD player. I am also connecting via SCART to a Nokia Mediamaster Freeview tuner. The images are crisp and clean, but just the colours are inconsistent (typically reds, blacks, and skin tones).

I have tried different brands of scart lead, and connected different devices direct to the TV, but still the same, so obviously something to do with the TV settings.

Anyway, I'll try your settings and feedback to this thread so others can benefit.

4. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi vectrasri99,

I tried out your settings last night, and they worked like a dream. Huge improvement on colours. It's amazing what a few tweaks will do.

Thanks for your help!

5. PSD

PSD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi vectrasri99,

When you day 575 DVD player do you mean the pioneer? Are there any other tweaks?

I am currently using Graham Trigg's initial settings as my screen only arrived yesterday and obviously I am running it in. I will have a look at your settings when the first 200 hours have passed.

Thanks

Paul

6. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs tgl, hope you enjoy your new screen as they are good.

Yeah Paul its a Pioneer 575 and the reason for the +5 brightness is that when using component the plasma puts some strange pattern on the screen when the image is very dark (night scene with almost no lit image). So by setting the brightness up on the player and then reducing it on the screen you get the same level of brightness but perfect black. This has also helped SKY+ but not to the same level. This kind of set-up I would put in the anal class as it is only visable 2 feet and closer, but now my screen doesn't have the problem at all so worth a try.

I agree with anyone who has a more expensive screen that this kinda of adjustment shouldn't be required but its done now and how cheap.

M

7. PSD

PSD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi vectrasri99,

I just had a little go with your AV settings but found that reds were extemely bright. I did not however change the service menu options. Can you clarify what these do i.e. overscan is currently 5%, why did you reduce this? Also, the brightness is only 63%, by increasing this to 100% are you not reducing the life of the panel, or as a new plasma owner am I missing the point?

Thanks

Paul

8. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Overscan is where that percent of the screen is cropped off. I like to see all of the transmission so 1% gives you almost all of it. Test this but watching a program with almost static picture (news etc.) or pause sky+. Now select 1% -> 7% and see what you are missing.

100% might decrease life but I'm sure that after 5 years I will have something else on the wall if not less. 100% can help the contrast flicker, if you've not got this problem then don't worry.

None of the above will help the over red issue. What source are you using and has that got adjustable levels? You are using RGB (AV1) aren't you?

M

9. PSD

PSD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks M for the clarification. In terms of contrast flicker I do not appear to have any issues with that at the moment. Touch wood. The settings you suggested were good and I am using AV1 RGB for a sky panasonic digibox. It just seemed to me that the reds were very red although skin tones looked good. I will try these settings again when the screen has run in for a few hundred hours. I am chuffed to bits with the screen though and the pioneer 575A is a superb player...

Thanks

Paul