1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg Rz42pX11 Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ronniedrew, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ronniedrew

ronniedrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, :hiya: :thumbsup:

i am Fairly New to this Web-Site and have a question for my fellow LG owners. I Got mine last week and i am very happy with the set, i saw a reference on a few threads that people were tweaking with the display setting to come up with the best picture, even though i am happy with mine i thought i would messs around with it to see what i could come up with.

What settings would you recommend, i checked and i have version 5.14 (thanks ross p) of the LG and am hooked up to a sky box and a surround sound dvd player.

Many Thanks in advance

2. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hi ronnie,
    go into the service menu and swich it from av mode to pc mode.

then my settings are:
    contrast: 74
    brightness: 56
    colour: 34
    sharpness 41

csm: user: red -8 green - 29 blue -3
    xd on everything else off

this is set using thx optimizer try it urself if you have a starwars disk or something like that, and it doesnt hurt to give em a whirl
    ps the panel gets better with use so it may improve by itself over time too ;)

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    What does switching from av to pc mode achieve exactly?

Cheers
    Andy

4. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    ill be honest i dont know! but! i have noticed there seems to be more detail and ul notice scrolling text and movement slightly smoother, other users may notice other effects im sure they will fill you in

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a number of experiments with the settings. I may be off the mark, but I'll post my thoughts so far. From what I've seen, I think conventional wisdom regarding plasma setup needs to be put aside with these screens.

The important point is that the contrast, etc. settings affect the digital representation of the image, not the actual driving signals. (This can be demonstrated in a couple of ways - notably the OSD is not affected by any setting except low power mode).

So, you need to keep contrast quite high (if you want to lower the overall output, start with the low power setting on - even go into the service menu and lower the brightness in panel control, which takes effect when low power is on).

Using a DVI source set to output 'Studio RGB' (slightly less range than standard PC RGB), and a calibrated brightness level (for me 55), a contrast of 80 took whites to the point just before they were crushed. A happy coincidence that it is the same contrast value used for 'standard' setting? I think it is quite likely that 80 represents a 'neutral' level, with higher or lower contrast settings causing the picture to be processed digitally to expand or contract the dynamic range.

On that basis, I wouldn't recommend any contrast setting lower than 80, unless whites are being crushed. Using higher values may not be a good idea either, although AV and component inputs can reach a 100 contrast setting with the whites only crushed just above that - but if that is a digital expansion of the dynamic range, it may introduce some artefacts.

Bear in mind, that CSM also appears to work in much the same way, albeit for independently for R, G and B, with 0 as 'neutral'. I won't say use values X, Y, or Z (there are tradeoffs between the colour balance and potential to introduce artefacts) - however, I will say that whatever CSM settings you choose to use, you should set your contrast (white level) with all three values set to the highest that you use, to ensure that you have headroom for the strongest colours.

As for colour / sharpness, you need to make your own mind up, although it would seem that the screen 'favours' the use of 50 (as used in the standard setting). But clearly you need to get your own saturation right, which can depend on the source. And my opinion is that it is best to NOT use XD on the 'multimedia' inputs (certainly not DVI, probably RGB and component?), use for AV inputs more a matter of taste.

So quick tips:

1) Favour 'low power' and service menu adjustment (brightness in 'panel control') over contrast settings below 80.

2) Calibrate black level (brightness correctly).

3) Favour contrast setting of 80, although this may need to vary depending on other settings (brightness, CSM)

4) Favour CSM levels at 0. Keep CSM adjustments as small as possible. Ensure that contrast allows headroom for your CSM settings.

5) Favour colour and sharpness values of 50, although adjust as necessary.

(NB: DVE is quite useful for checking the contrast / white levels - particularly the first screen of the 'picture resolution' reference materials.)

Regardless of the theories, it's important to get something that you are happy with. Slight adjustments that are technically / theoretically detrimental may still give results that are subjectively better.

If anyone has thoughts for more reliably testing some of these theories / observations, I would be interested to here them.

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i agree with a lot of ur theories spesh regards to the general rules people apply to how a panel should be setup, but i have my contrast set in 60's and have found the pic to be great all the detail in all the shadows etc.
    im sure my osd does change when i alter my settings thou.

anyhow i think its a great panel and u can notice a few certain more well respected senior, profesional forum members even noding their heads to how good the lg is performing recently. there might of been an issue with older panels and really making sure u had the right settings but the newer firmware seems to handle all settings well
    im glad a got this panel for £1500 (brought from c&m last aug time) rather than the likes of sony etc that were costing around £3000 and the pic quality not as good.
    and i love the fact a lot of u guys now are really testing and playing witht the panel so we can all make sure were not overlooking some thing that could make a huge difference for the best, so by all means try eachothers settings but lets keep practicing and tweaking and posting our findings,
    i love it when someone walks into my livingroom and goes wow nice tv i try ever so hard to keep my smug grim at bay lol

7. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Sukh

Sukh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting mine tomorrow but got a few questions.

What setting should I use for the first 200hr?
    What settings after?
    What are your settings now?

Tried searching, but it produced too many results.
    Thanks

9. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There is a debate on running in, I chose not to as my dealer where I got the plasma from said it isn't needed, you will only get screenburn with misuse.

My settings now are-

XD- ON
    CSM- Normal
    Fleshtone- 0 ( altering this dosen't seem to do anything to me :confused:! )
    Contrast- 85
    Brightness- 60
    Colour- 40 ( anything less makes the picture looked 'washed out' )
    Sharpness- 50 ( again altering this dosen't seem to do alot ! )

I'm still tweaking things around but skintones on these settings look good, i've also tested them on dark scenes and football and for me this is the best balance, but its all down to personal preference. :thumbsup: :)

10. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry its off topic but it is a setting sort of and may be useful for other LG owners
    Any of you got a sky code that works with the Lg Rz42pX11 ?
    forum member stewd has been looking for one for a while.

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    nobody has the sky remote code for the lg, im using a kameleon one for all to control my setup to counter react this problem