LG RZ42PX11 or Pana Viera 37PA30???

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by putagana, Oct 17, 2004.

1. putagana

putagana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've been thinking about this for a while and couldn't make my mind yet...
    Both these sets go for around €2900 (£2000) here in Portugal. I'd really like to have a 42' but there's so much talk about poor cable tv image quality and lip sync issues on the LG, and I don't want to end up worrying and spending more in extra hardware to fix it, I just want to plug it in and watch.
    I've seen them side by side showing DVD signals, and the viera sure has better PQ (darker blacks, sharper image)... BUT is 37' enough? I'll be sitting about 3.8m (12.5ft) away from the screen...
    Of course I've looked at the 42' viera, but it's €3550 (£2450) here, which is a bit too much... for that money I can get one of these and a nice all in one home cinema.
    Please help me make up my mind...

thanks

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Personally, I haven't seen any lip sync problems with the LG. Also, PQ is dependen on both the source and your settings - firstly, you (obivously) need to tweak the contrast / brightness and especially colours. IMHO the PQ isn't so far away from the Panasonic when that is done correctly.

The second thing is the XD engine - when turned on and with a good source, the picture is *very* sharp... more so than an unaided Panasonic can manage. However, XD engine can really highlight problems with the source - for digital satellite / cable, the PQ can be marginal in some cases - which looks OK without the XD engine, but not quite so with it enabled.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you've narrowed it down to a couple of models, the best way of deciding is to view for yourself :) preferably with both screens properly set up, side by side if possible. It sounds like you have done this, were you able to tweak with both sets when viewing them? Surely you were drawn to one over the other in terms of design/functionality etc. Or do you really want the Viera but concerned about size at 37"?

Both screens that you mention have their fans on this forum :) The Viera is a great all round TV but has niggles, the lack of 720p High Definition signal compatibility is the one that seems to generate the most heated debate. LG have not had a good history of making plasmas with good picture quality but they have made big improvements with their latest batch, especially the PX11. No prizes for guessing which camp I'm in :D :p

I don't find 37" too small at all but then I traded up from a 24" 4:3 CRT. As I mentioned before, best view for yourself to see if you think 37" would be too small for your needs. You could always cut out a carboard template too and see how that fits with your viewing at home.

S.

4. putagana

putagana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,
    when I viewed them in store I didn't play with the settings, the LG didn't seem well set-up (too much color saturation, a bit blurred image... or maybe it's really like that ;) ) but had good enough PQ anyway, the Viera looked perfect. The problem is that most stores will run demos with a DVD source but not with the cable network broadcast which is certainly not a good quality signal, and from what I read the Vieras have a better reputation when dealing with poorer signals.
    I'll have to nag the store guys for a proper demo then... :)

cheers

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    just listen to the majority of the good people on these forums to many people
    have purchased cheaper plasmas and can not return them.you are then stuck with it staring you in the face every day BE VERY CAREFULL

go with pioneer or panasonic u cant go wrong

listen to people who sell them for a living like horny dragon maw etc.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As I've already stated elsewhere, whilst the Panasonic and Pioneer screens are great, the volume of support here is skewed by people that have bought on recommendation, without looking at the other screens. There *are* other worthwhile screens out there.

Cheaper plasmas doesn't have to mean that you can't return them - my LG was purchased from a major retailer over the internet, and I have the full backup of UK law. You should certainly make sure that you are in a position to return unsatisactory items, and/or fix problems that could occur. It is foolish to spend so much money and not have that security - and that applies equally to cheap deals that you see on major names (ie. Panasonic) as it does to the less popular makes.

As for the LG setup issues, the defaults do have way too much colour saturation. If you start with the 'standard' preset, and pull the colours right back, you won't be too far from the ideal setup. As for blurry images, mine is perfectly clear/sharp, as are the three that I have seen on display in London shops - maybe it is an issue with the source / cables?

7. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG purhased on saturday.
    Your comment about PQ are true.
    I'm seeing plasma 3 m. away connected to a very cheap DVD player
    :nono: and good SCART.
    Interlaced signal better than progressive (blurred). PC signal from cheap NVIDIA TNT2 and PowerDVD software, like interlaced; less plastic faces and effects ('Gladiator' walking between his soldiers at the init of film).
    I buy this plasma to use with a HTPC in the near future (good WAF VGA, DVI, 720p compatibility).
    If you don't need those inputs, go for Panasonic.
    Size. You are in the limit. I prefer a great screen (last was a 25") and above average PQ than 32"" TV (Loewe) and good PQ. By (+-) the same price. 2600 euros.
    With bad analogue both plasmas are equal. :mad:
    I'm testing yet.

8. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have a Sony DVP-NS930 - the progressive signal is *very* sharp. IMHO, your problem is the quality of your external deinterlacer (ie. progressive output from cheap DVD player), rather than the plasma.

9. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asume that my source is not good.
    And that plasma can't give the same PQ than CRT.
    I can live with some plasma effects in some scenes if I obtain an overall good quality ('Pearl Harbour' attack, 'Gladiator' scene with tigers) and some future upgrade proof.

I was exactly at the same situation than Putagana.

Progressive.
    2:2 Pull Down. Uk LG site says no. Spain LG site says yes. 'Real Cinema' explanation talk about NTSC - 3:2 - not PAL. DCDI. I thinked the LG system could help.

Death pixel, one. :mad:
    Firmware 3.13. No operative service menu.

I don't want to say 'It's a perfect plasma' simply because it's which I've purchased. I've two weeks to decide.

10. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you guys recommend to someone who is not going to bother with external deinterlacer kit like the iscan ultra stuff.

I'm trying to decide between the LG and PW6.
    I'm leaning towards the PW6 at the moment due to people sayign it does better blacks onscreen and that Pannys seem to be better at avoiding burn-in.

The things swaying me away from the LG are the speakers that I don't need, and the fact that the universal wall mounts that av-sales etc sell seem to not fi the LG properly (they cover up the scart socket. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of sending stuff back)

11. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, i live in portugal and a lg plasma, i have lip sync prob. But phone to lg, they collect the plasma and solve the problem. The picture is amazing.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There might be a lot of panasonic owners on the board, but us retail types, especially like Horny and me who have no stake in you guys buying panasonic, you don't ever buy them from me (sniff) still recommend them. I guess I'll be even more unpopular with Graham if I say any more, but he's just as guilty of pushing his own plasma as the panasonic owners, yet strangely has no dealer who has anything good to say about his purchase. It's still a big picture on your wall though, and we are talking the finer points. If these matter less to you than price, then obviously LG has to be considered.

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Firstly, I'm not disputing that I am as guilty of pushing my own plasma as other owners, but what's good for one group is good for another ;) - I just make the point that this forum mostly consists of Panasonic owners that have never looked (in any real depth) at many of the plasmas out there, let alone the most recent ones of less talked about manufacturers.

Yes, *you* may have seen the current LG, and you may prefer the Panasonic - that's your opinion, but it doesn't invalidate the point above.

FYI, the only reason I ever knew about (and therefore looked at) the LG was from a dealer recommendation.

14. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the LG next to a Fujitsu 50" and a Panny PW6 with normal tv signal and thought it was fantastic. Especially at the price - £1800 from the Hi-Fi shop compared to £1995 yesterday in Comet. It's definitely on my short list for xmas!!

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try Comet's website - it's £400 cheaper! If you look around the web, I've seen it as low as £1500.

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'd just like to point out that I feel I don't fall into this category. I had looked at a great many plasmas including the likes of JVC, Sony, Hitachi, Techwood, Samsung, LG etc. Infact I was very taken with the Sony's before I'd even heard of or understood what an ALiS screen was. Out of all the screens that I viewed, and had a chance to play with, the Viera was the best choice for me and it wasn't something I jumped into without months of careful consideration beforehand.

First and foremost I advise people to actually view the screens that are on their shortlist that they are thinking of buying as opposed to say "Buy a Viera, I have one therefore they must be good". Of course having said that, and knowing the limitations of the Viera, as well as its strengths, people will know from my posts that I am still more than happy with my purchase but what suits me isn't necessarily going to suit 90% of the forum members here.

S.

17. putagana

putagana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good to know that LG has a good service, but you say in another thread today:
    I have a hard time following you argument... so the picture of the LG was amazing and now it's even a lot better... wow, that must be really something to behold... :)

18. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    oh dont get the LG its god damn awful go get something better save your money. the Lg's dog awful please dont. as a comet salesman and knowing how the instore setups are working. Get some demos with dvds if you want to buy, the tv signal in there isnt a true reflection of anything they dont have constant ariel pictures. if you want my advice save some more and geth the hitachi 2800 i think the cost is, but if you shop around u can get it for just over 2k.