1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ23LZ20 23" OR Philips 23PF9945 23" LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RoyB, Jul 24, 2004.

1. RoyB

RoyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking at both of these models, priced at £700 and £850 respectively. I've not heard much back on the LG, but the Philips sounds good, both as TV and for PC input. Has anyone got a view?

Thanks

2. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ok, nonononono to the Philips for PC input. It supports a resolution of 1024x768 which you can either view in 4:3 mode or stretched 16:9. It does NOT support a pc input with the natural resolution of 1280x768. I know it sounds stupid but that's just how it is. Sounds even more stupid when the US spec model DOES support 1280x768.

3. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LG arrived on Saturday and I must say that it's a great TV. Had it set up in the bedroom and not had any problems at all. I don't think you can go wrong with the LG for the money....

It has teletext and PIP
    Only think I've not figured out yet is PIP - On my main Sony TV with PIP you can view regular analog channels in PIP whilst watching an analog channel. On the LG it seems that you can only PIP between different input sources.

4. RoyB

RoyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, have just bought the LG, it looks great though haven't managed to try attaching everything just yet. PC running through it is good though, and need to play around with it a bit, but for the money it seems pretty good value. If there are any 'discoveries' about things like the PnP I'd really like to hear about them.

Cheers

5. RoyB

RoyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LG RZ23LZ20 arrived from Richer Sounds. I want to check with anyone if they have different connections from mine, the LG website for UK models says a contrast ratio of 200:1. others say 450:1, also the number of SCART conenctions from LG is 2, mine has 1 only.

Does anyone know how to reset to factory settings if playing around with the sound and picture?

The sound quality, can this be improved in any way?

Thanks

6. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked my set and it has the following:

1x Scart
    2x Composite
    1x S Video
    1x PC Input (VGA)
    1x RF

I thought that the contrast ratio was 400:1 - thats what it said on the Empire web site.

7. nugetto2003

nugetto2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also interested in the LG, but just noticed a poor review of it by "Essential Hifi..." which can be found on this website. The pciture got 3/5 and sound 2/5. Do you agree with it?

8. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the web site? Just did a quick google and couldn't find anything...

From my point of view I don't think that the LG is a bad TV at all for the money. OK I didn't have great expectations of it for £700 and I do have it as a bedroom TV replacing a ten year old Sony 14" CRT

I'd agree with comments about sound quality, it's something I've noticed, but can live with - it can sound a little "tinny" when first switched on, but either I get used to it pretty quickly or it goes away.

Picture wise - It has a 14:1 viewing option which I thought was a little strange, as I thought most TV's were 16:1, but from reading here note that 15:1 is pretty common. But this hasn't really affected me - to me the picture looks bright and clear - I've not noticed much out of order in terms of jerkyness, darkness, brightness. I've used it mostly in widescreen mode which seems good to me.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I found the review and think that it's being a little harsh. Like I said I agree with the sound problem they've outlined, but I've got used to it quickly.

Picture wise I think they are being un-fair, initially I thought that whites were too bright and darks not bright enough, but after a little playing around things look fine to me.

They have it priced as a £1300 TV and it is easily found for £700 and less, so maybe are judging it based on that.

For me it's worked out as a decent buy - for a bedroom tele - Even the girlfriend commented last night that she was very happy with my choice...

Then again we may just be one of those "Ikea lovers" that the article talks about...

10. ManMalikMachine

ManMalikMachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting the LG RZ23LZ20 for the bedroom. However the only connection I have available at the moment is an RF (coax) cable running from the back of the NTL STB that is doonstairs.

Does the LG RZ23LZ20 have an input for a bog standard coax cable?

If not any ideas how I can get up and running quickly?

11. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has a normal RF cable that can be used. That's what I 'm running mine from - just a standard TV ariel point.

12. ManMalikMachine

ManMalikMachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool thanks.

13. mt50

mt50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    i'm thinking about getting the LG for my bedromm now that it is only £700, it would replace my 21inch sony 4:3 TV and my 15inch TFT monitor, has anybody got it set up as i pc monitor and TV? if so what is it like for a PC monitor? do games look ok on it?

also i'd be hooking my xbox upto it via RGB would this look ok and is screen burn an issue with LCD tv's?

thanks.

also if anyone could reccomend me a better tv for upto about £700(or £1000 ish if i can take a finance option) that would be good :) would have to be bigger than 20inch though, and be compatible with pc's oh and if i could get a componant input that would be ace :)