1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ17-LZ10 Help Please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Juzminator, May 20, 2003.

1. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

After viewing a number of LCD's in Comet (cheaper than my preferred e-tailers by some margin...incredible), I plumped for the above named model.

To put it mildly, I'm disappointed. In the shop they were all being fed with Sky via standard RF flyleads so the piccies were all much of a muchness, with the LG holding its own against Pannys and Sonys. However, on getting the blimmin thing home, I'm just in a world of not-very-impressed...ness.

The PC input is fine (despite me not being able to find any widescreen options in Windows ME or my gfx card utils [Geforce 2 GTS]), and the PQ from the extended Sky RF lead isn't too bad either (bit blurry), but the real kicker is this:

It's only got a single Scart input, and me being a complete moron assumed that it would be RGB (all my tellys have at least one RGB scart, including our crappy old Nokia 14"), but it's not - it's just composite RGB - my XBox (using advanced scart lead) looks an absolute pig. I haven't got an XB S-video lead so I tried the PS2 with S-video and, while an improvement, wasn't exactly razor-sharp. What can I do? The main thing is to get the XB running at best PQ possible and I do not wanna go down the running XB via 15-pin D-sub cable as I coulda just done that with my original monitor (I don't wanna do it cos of the problems with how I extract sound from the XB - I want the sound to come thru montitor speakers as space is at a premium, plus I'll be wearing the Live headset so headphones are a no-no).

Any hidden menus that may sharpen things up? I assume that there's absolutely no way of converting a composite scart socket to full RGB also?

Heeeeeeeelp!

2. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I recently bought the 15 inch 4:3 model RZ15LA31 and whilst it has no info in the manual about rgb via scart, toggling the sky rgb option on and off clearly demonstrates that it does display rgb.

Does such test with Sky and a fully wired lead reveal no difference for you as it would be odd to put rgb scart on the smaller cheaper model in the same range?

Regards Peter

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I could try that, but it'd mean lugging around the house. Odd thing is that XB does output in full RGB (all my other tellys recognise this), but this monitor is defo NOT recognising it, and TBH, the telly instructions don't mention the scart being full RGB (d'oh) - the only input that actually says RGB on the screen is the 15 pin PC one.

Thanks for the reply BTW ;)

4. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juzminator,

I purchased a RZ15LA31 (presumably not as advanced as the RZ17), and whilst my initial impression was disappointing picture quality, I managed to vastly improve the quality by lots of tweaking.

After some experimentation, I found that the initial picture mode (called 'dynamic') is fine for PC displays, but not for TV. This 'dynamic' mode is the factory default. I have since adjusted the picture parameters to a 'user' mode, and found that for TV displays, reducing the 'sharpness' function to 0 has a big effect.

Also, setting the 'contrast' to 100, the 'brightness' to 80 and 'colour' to 50 all help.

I'm assuming that the RZ17 has similar menus.

I'm not sure whether the RZ15LA31 is RGB scart capable, in that as peter350 mentioned, there is no mention of this in the manual. But playing around with my Sony 725 DVD player, there does seem to be some effect when switching the RGB function on and off. Ironically though, whilst the RGB signal seems slightly 'duller', I somehow prefer the s-video signal, which I find surprising!

Hope this helps,

Ice :cool: