1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ-42PX11 V's Panasonic TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hughesy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know there is information already discussing these televisions but the LG post has over 1000 threads.

i have a straight question and would love a straight answer. :lease:

Why is the Panasonic €4500, and the LG €2500 when the the LG has a higher contrast ratio? What makes the panasonic worth its price tag?

Cheers :smashin:

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Contrast Ratio figures are debateable as there is no standard agreed method for measuring this figure between the manufacturers. I wouldn't trust quoted CR's from either LG or Panny for that matter, best view both screens and make your own judgement. The PX11 recently had it's CR figure requoted from 3000:1 to 5000:1 :rolleyes: from what I've read it's because they (LG) changed their method for measuring although alot of LG owners claim there is a difference because of revised firmware. Having said that I wouldn't trust Panny's CR figure either although they have a reputation for producing PDP's with rich deep blacks.

As for the price differential... Panny & Pioneer are seen as the prestige premium brands of the plasma market, a bit like Mercedes and BMW in the car market. LG as a brand doesn't command that type of respect yet, though they are improving from what I read.

That's a bit like asking why buy a Mercedes-Benz E Class/BMW 5 series when I could get a Vauxhall Omega/Ford Mondeo.

S.

3. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Steve,

1st, thanks 4 the reply,

I'm just going on the specifications that i see. The Panny reportedly has a contrast ratio of 4000:1 and the LG 5000:1, as far as i know the resolution is the same, but the brightness issues i'm not sure off. Are there other things i need to look 4 when buying a plasma?

So it looks to me that the Vauxall/Ford has a better engine than the Merc/BMW??? :confused:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LG actually use older generation panny technology,the panny contrast has been 4000:1 for 18months LG recently bumped theres upto 5000:1 ...........so make of that what you will. May i suggest you stop comapring specs and start comparing pictures. also panny price (assume you are in Ireland?) is way over the top! LG price is approx £1400 and Panny £2000. Panny has DVB tuner LG Doesnt LG has more connections......Panny is quite different styling.....

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Totally agree with HD, your best course of action is to try and demo both sets with your own eyes, your heart and head will then tell you whether the Panny is worth the extra money, or not.

If you compare specs, then I would pay most attention to what inputs each set has and what signals they can handle. I wouldn't place too much faith in quoted contrast ratio and brightness figures.

S.

6. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks guys!!! :clap: :hiya: :thumbsup: :smashin:

7. n_s_simpson

n_s_simpson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Steve, I've heard that Panny are bringing out a new generation of Plasma within the next few months. Do you know anything more?

Also I think Panny displays are sooo much better than others on the market including the LG. I am a bit worried about the lack of connections, especially HDMI compatibility. Should I wait until they do support it?

I was originally going for DLP technology but I'm really worried about the rainbow effect. Do you recon plasma is a safer bet? People say plasmas have rubbish picture quality, do you recon that's true even of hidef sets (when running hidef material).

8. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm aware that panny are releasing a new 42" plasma that supports HDTV (not sure about hdmi though, but i presume it will do either hdmi or dvi. It' will replace the current Viera range. I read it in the latest T3 magazine

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142