Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LG RZ-42PX11 - The Plunge...

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by portal, Dec 18, 2004.

1. portal

portal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to take the plunge and order one of these beasts!

I've looked at various Plasma & LCD kit from £1000 to £3000, and the LG seems to be the best "bang for buck".

However, a couple of things concern me

1) Being unable to control basic TV functions from a SKY+ remote. Can anyone get this working?
    2) Having to cycle through all the AV ports using the "SCART/AV" or whatever button. On my existing Sony 32" wide I can assign a channel number to each AV port - ie I press 6 to get my DVD via SVideo. Is there ANY way to directly access each AV port? Someone mentioned hex codes for a Pronto - does this work for other programmable remotes?
    3) The few picture issues. Mostly these seem to get resolved by waiting and bedding in the set, plus altering some settings. However I am worried that I'll always be stuck with a crappy SKY+ image. I'm not prepared to go into scalers, PCs, boxes of tricks etc. It will be connected by RGB SCART, or SVideo. Am I going to be so dissapointed that it's not worth buying!?

Should I just bypass the LG altogether (at around £1400) and go for a higher res Hitachi Panel 5200/5300 at £1900?

This is my first post so be gentle!

Cheers
    Portal

:smoke:

2. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LG and it is now just past 100 hours and the picture on sky+ (via RGB scart)is excellent. occassional solarisation on faces and walls but only noticable sometimes or when you look for it........it was pretty bad to start with though, faces were awful on some of the low bit rate channels and I had to keep the settings low to hide it on some sky one progs. this is all in the past though......moral being, don't judge the PQ until you have racked up a good few hours on the panel.....and no I have not just gotten used to it, others have commented on the improvement also.

let it settle in properly and the picture quality is great....s-video dvds are good but component is soooooo much better!! still waiting for my HD945 DVI DVD player to try that out but it sounds like it will be good.

enjoy

MJI

PS. don't pay more than £1500 (at currys/comet) and you can do better than that online anyway (IIRC under £1400 somewhere).

3. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes there are individual codes for each AV input listed in the manual but I don't yet know how to enter these into ccf fiels etc for prontos or PPCs?

anyone know how?

MJI

4. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm approaching 300hours on my LG and the difference in PQ from when I first got it, to now its noticable, Very happy with it now, Sky has improved in my opinion, but quality of dvd's are amazing esp thru component with prog scan :thumbsup:

5. Schenk

Schenk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got mine yesterday.Sky+ via scart is v.good straight out of the box.
    Just starting to play with it now to improve the PQ further (I'm going the PC/DScaler route) but suggest you follow the main thread on this plasma for tips on changing screen settings to improve PQ.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes and no. If you've got a remote you can program with hex codes, then it could work. Or, if you can borrow such a device, then you can get it to generate the IR sequence and teach any other learning remote.

My PQ is excellent. But it's always going to be a personal decision - there isn't a plasma on the market that doesn't have detractors regarding it's picture quality.