1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ-42PX11...Sky lip sync'

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bazlion, Dec 24, 2004.

1. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any owners comment on this review.I was thinking of getting one but this has put me off as I too would be mostly watching Sky, any other recommendations at a similar price?

Not compatible with Sky TV
    What are the strengths? Good picture, nice slimline design
    What are the weaknesses? Bought this TV but had to send it back due to a lip sync problem with the Sky TV signal. I spoke to LG customer service and they eventually admitted that this TV is not fully compatible with SKY TV. Very disappointing in a TV that costs £1600. The basic problem is that the tv processes the sound faster than the picture when using a sky signal resulting in a "badly dubbed" look when people talk.
    Summary Nice TV but I couldn't put up with the lip sync errors as most of my TV viewing is through SKY. I don't know if other models of plasma TV have the same problem.

2. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this TV and I do not have lip sync issues, as for not being compatible with Sky, I also watch sky on the telly and suffer from different picture quality which is not down to the TV, I am not sure which LG customer service you spoke with, I am sure it is compatible with sky now and is also compatible with sky future (i.e sky HD).
    You can choose Panasonic 7 series if you dont want the LG.

Regards.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Most plasma display will suffer a certain amount of lip sync problems which are compounded by the fact that Sky can have lip sync issues all of it own...like you say it's down to the extra processing that the plasma has to do before it can display an image on screen...you can solve the problem via a suitable amp with an audio delay feature or an external audio delay unit. Not sure what can be down if using the built-in speakers though.

Cheers, Lee

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Only the "budget" models, not most of them :)

5. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This plasma is rubbish - failure rates are high after 1 year and the screen image fades after 6-8 months.

Avoid this model.

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You are full of ****.

This model has barely been out 6 months, let alone 1 year, so it's impossible to draw such conclusions.

If you choose to avoid LG because that has been the performance of some of their previous plasmas, that's one thing - but that doesn't mean this model has those problems.

7. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The LGRX11 is a fantastic plasma TV. End of discussion. it DOES NOT have poor picture quality, and the build quiality IS NOT poor.

For the price, you won't find a better all in TV.

However

I am of the opinion that if you want to go that wee bit extra, you have a sky digibox, dvd player and your own theatre kit (sound stuff) You should really go for the panasonic PW7. the AVsales offer of £1745 delivered with wall mount/desk stand plus scart terminal is phenomenal! You would also do well to buy the quintrix scart box to go along with it.

There is no strong enough way for me to tell you how much to ignore the remarks by babycakes.

As for lip sync... not experienced any lip sync issues with either of the sets I have spoken about above.

8. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The truth hurts. I should know, I have been installing and repairing plasmas for the past 4 years.

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How can it possibly be true, when *this* model of plasma hasn't even been out long enough to collect the kind of data that you are quoting?

Truth can hurt, but what you've said about *this* model is a pack of lies.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    BabyCakes that's interesting that you say the screen fades after 6-8 months. Some of the LG owners claim it improves after running in ? Maybe the two are intrexicably linked ?

Have to agree all previous models of LG were possibly some of the worst adverts for going Plasma. Having seen the '11 I think it's a bit of fools gold really. Becoming OK for the money at circa £1350 but pants to the competition otherwise.

11. timskemp

timskemp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's better than the Hyundai, Daewoo and some of the cheaper tier 1 brands too.

Lipsync is fine as the audio inputs are delayed to match the processing - I currently have issues with 5.1 and lipsync as my amp won't delay enough but would have that with any PDP.

Picture quality is definitely better after 100-200 hrs use.

12. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What nonsense? How can the picture improve with use when it is calibrated at the factory. Calibration detiorates with age and temperature.

Doh!

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ah, right. That's why people on this forum make a living out of calibrating plasmas / displays at the installation location... plasmas leave the factory set to produce bright, eye-catching displays in shops, not to produce the perfect picture in a domestic setting.

Yes, plasmas deteriorate with age - but we are talking many thousands of years for that. In the short term, all the components are new, and can perform a little better when they have been used for a few hours.

14. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I agree you with Graham about the calibration...but you may be being a bit optomistic about the thousands of years of use :laugh:

So BabyCakes...in all your years of experience which do you recommend and why ? and which do you own...if any ?

Cheers, Lee

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oops... hours... I meant hours... :blush:

16. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mcav.
    I have considered the PW7,but have been concerned with the future HD? problems that have been mentioned on here with Sky, I really don't understand it all, I just want a unit with a good PQ from Sky+,and one that I dont have to replace in a year or two's time.I have a decent sound system. As yet I don't have a DVD,thinking of a Tosh 340, read some good reviews on it.

17. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Components do not improve over time - exactly how do they do that?

A resistor is a resistor
    A capacitor is a capacitor. In fact electrolytics dry out with age and go open circuit
    A transistor is a transistor. In fact leakage currents increase and junctions fail over time.
    A diode is a diode.
    Solder joints expand and contract and eventually fail.

So how exactly does the designer ensure that the performance improves as the components age?

Calibration is something that is done in a factory - it requires the back off the plasma so that presets can be adjusted to ensure that the appropriate performance is obtained at the test points.

18. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    everything requires calibrating if it to stay within its original spec. but with new technology components drift very little. also it depends a lot at what temperature the plasma was calibrated at!!!!! its all linked. i should know i sed to work in the calibration lab for the m.o.d

19. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BabyCakes....

You need to answer the question about your statement above, I seriously pity those that come to you for plasma repair, I think Lg should sue you for this terrible lies, it is the likes of you that give good technicians bad names because of your hatred for some brands, you allowed your hatred to cloud your judgement, you dived so low to prove your point, you hid behind the internet to post pack of lies....I honestly think you need to wake up and smell the coffee and admit it you are a pathetic lier.

20. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or perhaps some brains don't improve over time.
    An incredible amount of lost and unconnected synapse.
    Failed minds without runnin in.
    :censored:

21. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree with bigtruth.........grow up baby cackes

22. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Time will tell - I guess everyone reading this thread owns an LG plasma and therefore suffers from cognitive dissolution.

Pioneer and Panasonic sell the most advanced and reliable plasma screens. LG suffer because of the components they use and their lack of experience in this sector.

For your information, I have had a number of PMs from LG owners that are asking about faults with their screens - the silent majority know that the screens are troublesome.

23. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Maybe there are problems with older LG screens. Maybe in time the current crop of LG screens will show up faults.

But what you are presenting as fact about the current screens can *not* be true - because they have not been around long enough to say that.

24. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was originally looking at an LG screen, had heard good reports but after reading a lot of posts here I decided on the reliability of the Panasonic PW6

25. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting this lack of experience from LG as they make a majority of Plasma panels.

I don't doubt that some of the components maybe and prob are cheaper inside but the picture from a good source and a good disk can only be described as exceptional.

If you run something like Van helsing in progressive from a 575 (two cheap components, well in this market anyway) with everything setup (and know the defaults are well out as they didn’t configure the plasma for my room and prob under bright florescent lights in a lab) the picture is truly cinematic with levels of deep blues and black.

Lip sync which I don’t have a prob from Sky could be fixed by adjusting the 3ms delay in the service menu.

M

26. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    babycakes
    you never answered an earlier question,which plasma do you have?

27. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    It'll be interesting to see how the LG's pan out for reliability. Suffice to say to knock the screen out at that price Babyface may have a good point as to the quality of the gubbins inside.

28. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG sell on their design, people fall for nice designs, specially the female part.

LG look expensive, people like that feeling.

I don't like LG because i look at the inside.

29. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I own a Panasonic PW7.

30. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Given that electronics of any sort/manufacture rarely fail (unless overheated), and that a large part of the new screens are Genesis/Faroudja/Pixelworks, it puts them in fairly good stead.

Heat dissipation might be an issue, but then it appears to have a lot in common with the PW6/7 in that regard, given that Panasonic are having a public spat with LG over heat dissipation IP.

Which leaves us with the screen and PSU. Unless you physically break the screen, you should get a reasonable life out of it - which may or may not be the 60,000 hours they quote. As for the PSU - Panasonic seem to be having more problems there than anyone else.