1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ-42PX11 Owners, Is this Plaz any Good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neonmod, Sep 27, 2004.

1. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this screen and want to use it for my modded Xbox for displaying high res 720p 1080i.

Please can all you owners tell me the plus and negs about this Plasma' fuctions and quality, to help me decide whether this is what i need.

I visited currys over the weekend and looked at all the pana's and sony etc.. displayting the exact same video program and found this screen to be the best and cleanest,

I don't want to brush up any panny fans but the panasonics seemed to have some fuzzy patches especially when veiwing blue sky scenes and suffured from blurriness like the sony's, i think that these plasmas show up more problems because of the higher resolution screens 1024 etc...

Any help / reveiws would be very helpful. :)

Thank you.

2. MJS

MJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, first things first.
    Never, ever trust Currys or Dixons when they're demoing screens like this. When I've seen them, it's always a rolling sky demo, probably off-air (compressed mpeg) and it always looks as if they're using distributed composite feeds to the panels. This is probably one of the worst demo sources and THE worst signal connection to use. It's no wonder everything always looks fuzzy. This is a consequence of composite encoding. Look at high contrast colour graphics and you'll see they're fuzzy round the edges. A decent shop, better still, dealer would be able to connect up the panels with a good source e.g a decent DVD via component. Also remember that shops demonstrating tv's will have them all running off an aerial amplifier, so analogue reception nearly always looks lousy too.

In terms of the LG screen, a lot has been said here about it already. The current concensus is that's it's silly to buy it when perhaps the best panels i.e the Panasonics are only slightly more expensive. However you do have to weigh up the cost of getting the inputs you need, and whether you need a stand or bracket etc. The LG does come fully loaded with input options, tuner and speakers and stand. I've seen a demo of it on Tottenham Ct. Rd, and it's ok from a distance. I'd like to have seen it through component DVD, but with an s-video connection there was banding on one of the scenes I watched. One of the other shops did have an HD demo running on a new LG panel a while back although it's gone now. I have to say it looked stunning with no edge artifacts or banding. It was connected by a Korean box (no buttons in English) so I wouldn't like to say whether it was a European model.

Anyway that's my rant over. If you're going to be using this panel with your Xbox why not see if you can take it along to a dealer and try it out? Anyone serious about selling it ought to let you do that (I'd hope).

Mark.

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hi there.
    i have this tv have had it for about 3 weeks now.
    i also have an xbox its going through the rgb enabled scart (scart1)
    now at first it looked terrible! really!
    i never played it for 2 weeks to be fair. then this week i turned it on again and it looks great! i can only asume its either the settings im using or this screen needs running in a lil.
    x box has improved everything has.
    im getting mine moded for the hi def component connection soon.
    but as yours is pre modded and assuming your going for the component connection then i think youll be pleased, especially for the "all in everything included" price of around £1500.
    any other questions ill try to answer.
    the specs are quite good and so is the claimed half life of 60000 compared to other 30000 and the 3000:1 contrast

and connections galore!

4. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep I just got mine as a replacment for an old LGPZ42MZ14 which was recently knicked. The quality in comparison is staggering.
    So far I've only watched Star Wars 'A new hope' and 'Empire' and the picture in empire was better than 'a new hope' so looks like there is some settling in period required.
    Sky+ is still a problem though. In order to reduce cable clutter I'm upconverting S-VID to component on my AV-AMP (Yamaha) and then to the plasma via component (DVD is pluged into amp via component), unfortunatly I am getting quite a bit of solorisation on flesh tones (nasty green tinge).
    Next thing to do is get and RGB scart to component converter to see if this sorts things out on the sky+ question.

Some tweaking is still required to get rid of some minor solorization problems on DVD (sand in star wars seems to shimmer a little), but all in all very happy.
    It's a pity you can't get the same screen without the speakers though.

5. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    well let us know how u get on with ur settings ill post mine tomorrow.
    see if a bit of tweaking can result in excellent picture quality.

6. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does this TV handle 480P/720P etc?
    I've mailed an online store that sell this model and they've said it can't do progressive scan?

7. Panosg

Panosg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok here we go .

I Have seeing this plasma in my local comet and I have to say it does look good from a distance.Get any closer and then you can notice some bud blockines in the screen with sky broadcast.I ahd a look the way the connected the sky to the LG and it was just with a normal aerial lead,so I thourgh that's y the bad PQ.

I convinced my self and ordered the LG RZ42PX11 plasma from an online shop and that was £500.00 cheaper than my local comet store.
    And then I found this forum. After few searches about the LG ,and few other posts exchanges with other members here I found out that the great Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Plasma Screen was on offer for £1686.12 delivered from AV-Sales ,only £86.00 more expensive from what I paid for the LG .
    I canselled the LG order and then I order the PWD6 from AV-Sales,and hopefully should be here tomorrow some time.

If you are happy with the LG then go for it. I still think is a great plasma but
    I personally for £80.00 more I would go for the panasonic as it has one of the best reviews for it's PQ.

That's it. :thumbsup:

8. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've seen a couple of offers like that - the trouble as I see it though (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you don't get any kind of stand (not even a pedestal for table top use), nor do you get any scart, etc. - you have to buy those as additional terminal boards. At a minimum, I would have to add a pedestal (£100) and two terminal boards (£130 x 2), suddenly the overall cost is over £2000.

Still not a bad price mind, but the LG retains a distinct price advantage. I saw the LG in a shop, and was quite impressed with the demo they gave. I've ordered one, and have 7 days to change my mind once I get it, so shall see how it works out.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you'll be sorry!
    don't say we didn't warn you.

10. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK!

I have decided to get the LG Plasma and it will arrive this sunday :clap:

I have a lot of connections to think about as i will be connecting my Xbox that i modded myself (xboxscene user), using the high definition component output.

Anyone fed this panel with a high def signal yet?

I also will be moving my self built P4 3.6ghz base unit into a new tv stand that i am buying tonight and using the dvi output.

Does this panel come with a dvi lead as it states that it does in the manual?

Also are the two wall mount brackets included?

Does anyone know of a good cable for use with Sky+, i have seen in the forum a monster cable i think, av11 or something which is a scart to audio and component RCA, (does SKY+ output component through the scart socket and which one?)

I have read in a sister thread that ppl have discovered the service menu, which is excellent as i have DVE.

I am interested in the comms program for sending config data via the serial interface, please keep us all posted!!

It will be good to see what can be done to improve the settings via this connection.

Can't wait till sunday :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone :smashin: .

11. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hi mate,
    i too have the lg and im happy with it.

this panel gets better with use and i mean better not just you get used to it!
    iv now used panel for 146 hours and its so much more better than when i first got it so give it a chance first and go through the threads to find diff settings to try. any how;
    iv not yet used the component but iv gotto get the high def kit and mod my xbox like u have, but im using my pc through the rgb/vga cable and the picture is great!!!!!! so the xbox through the component im guessing will be of the same if not better quality so you wont be disapointed, im finding im playing old pc games i aint touched for ages again coz of the extra detail im noticing and how good it looks on large screen ;)
    medal of honour on a 42 inch!

lg kindly give you the dvi and rgb/vga (you know the one the one on your pc) and the cables are massive! im guessing around atleast 6 metres

the wall mounting brackets they say is included isnt the normal wall bracket we think of! its a lil tiny thing to prevent the panel being knocked over when its on its stand but against a wall, i havnt used mine to be honest i think its just lg thinking "just in case" there about 2 inches big!

anyhow any other questions fire them away under the thread
    "New Plasma LG RZ-42PX11 "
    that seams to be where we are most of the time