LG RZ-42PX11 - New Deliveries From John Lewis - thumbs up or down?

S

simon33

Hi there,

I've been looking for a plasma around the £1500 mark and the LG RZ-42PX11 seems to fit the bill.

I've just read a review on homecinemachoice.com which doesn't rate it too highly at all, they seem to know their stuff.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/outputpdf.php?file=WVTV/200412/079_WV_1204.pdf

Has the plasma undergone minor modifications, as from what I've heard here it's a reasonable and impressive plasma.

Any tips?!

Many Thanks,
Si.

Yes, old report.

The software has been changed since then and the impovement is immense. I purchased mine in January and it has the 5.11 firmware. Anything before that and the report was probably correct.

My mate is expecting a delivery of one on Thurs from John Lewis who do it for £1499 which includes delivery and a 5 year warranty.

My screen is behaving perfectly, and all members of the family are happy with the picture.

Try and sum up the pros and cons.

PROS

Great price.
Great connectivity - 3 scarts, DVI socket, Component
Speakers included in price
Stand included in price
Picture quality perfectly acceptable
Probalbly going to be fine for Sky HD next year.
Picture in picture feature is great (watching the kiddies in the other room while footy is on)

CONS

Equipment snobs do not like it (not got a good enough badge on it)
Picture quality is not as good as some screens which cost up to twice as much.

CONCLUSION

If you are looking for a screen that can be used without any amp/speaker system then this is the one. Open the box, connect Sky scart, power on and that is it.
However, if you have mates who brag about spending x amount of cash on some big budget piece of kit then they will tell you they are not impressed (but secretly admire it)

go ahead and spend the cash

Billyfergus said:
Yes, old report.

The software has been changed since then and the impovement is immense. I purchased mine in January and it has the 5.11 firmware. Anything before that and the report was probably correct.

My mate is expecting a delivery of one on Thurs from John Lewis who do it for £1499 which includes delivery and a 5 year warranty.

My screen is behaving perfectly, and all members of the family are happy with the picture.

Try and sum up the pros and cons.

PROS

Great price.
Great connectivity - 3 scarts, DVI socket, Component
Speakers included in price
Stand included in price
Picture quality perfectly acceptable
Probalbly going to be fine for Sky HD next year.
Picture in picture feature is great (watching the kiddies in the other room while footy is on)

CONS

Equipment snobs do not like it (not got a good enough badge on it)
Picture quality is not as good as some screens which cost up to twice as much.

CONCLUSION

If you are looking for a screen that can be used without any amp/speaker system then this is the one. Open the box, connect Sky scart, power on and that is it.
However, if you have mates who brag about spending x amount of cash on some big budget piece of kit then they will tell you they are not impressed (but secretly admire it)

go ahead and spend the cash

well said :clap:

Ditto, took delivery of mine from John Lewis on Saturday. Hung it on the wall, plugged it in and away we go.

If you want to transfer your lounge into a mini cinema complex then maybe it's not the best bit of kit, but as a TV replacement it is perfect. :smashin:

Hi, I just called john Lewis in Bristol they do a local price match down to £1599 from £1799, Which store did you guys get a price of £1500.

Many Thanks, ;)

Scott

Aberdeen selling for £1499 (local price match)

Phone up your local store and tell them this, you might be lucky. If they are not happy with that then look for some local dealer selling the same set and JL will price match.

You also get the 5 year warranty for free.

Howdo,

I paid originally £1599 in Liverpool, however, on the internet it is up for £1799- I decided to buy at £1599 and the tv was delivered on 11/2/05.

I have today contacted them to confirm that a company in london was selling for £1439 and had it in stock and they have done a retrospective price match so pretty happy now paying £1439 with 5 yr warranty.

Apparently JL will price match upto 28 days after purchase which is pretty unique.

Hope this helps anybody out

simon33 said:
I've just read a review on homecinemachoice.com which doesn't rate it too highly at all, they seem to know their stuff.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/outputpdf.php?file=WVTV/200412/079_WV_1204.pdf

Has the plasma undergone minor modifications, as from what I've heard here it's a reasonable and impressive plasma.

Try having a look at the latest Home Cinema Choice magazine that is currently in newsagents (came out a couple of days ago).

They have a *very* favourable opinion, and given the comments in the review about a '3000:1' contrast ratio, it would appear they had an 'old' review sample.

Guys, I have tried to get JL to price match. They wont unless i can give them the details of the stores doing them cheap.
Please please please can you give the details. Espcially priced at £1439!! wow anything less the £1599 would be great!
Thanks a million.
Scott

Hi All.

Been thinking about one of these as a TV replacement, only have Sky+,possibly getting DVD later, watch mainly footy,does it give a clean sharp picture with a good quality Scart (recommendations?)Thanks for any opinions.

Billyfergus said:
Aberdeen selling for £1499 (local price match)

Phone up your local store and tell them this, you might be lucky. If they are not happy with that then look for some local dealer selling the same set and JL will price match.

You also get the 5 year warranty for free.

Billy where did you price match the Aberdeen JL too? I'm thinking od getting one of these screens. Does anyone know if its HDCP compliant?

[Lostit]Bazza could you tell me where you price matched it to £1439??? (store name and location/phone no.)

Thanks if i can secure it for that price i'll reward via paypal

Scott

Da_Rude_Baboon said:
Billy where did you price match the Aberdeen JL too? I'm thinking od getting one of these screens. Does anyone know if its HDCP compliant?

It was my mate who purchased (I already own one)

He did not need to mention another retailers price to get price match as the price was already in the system.

Maybe they do not do it over the phone but they do if you go there in person ( I was with my friend when he ordered it)

Perhaps if you tell them you know someone who purchased at £1499 then that should be enough.

If you need any other info give me a shout.

So this TV is better than Panasonic TH42-PA30E or Sammy PS-42D4S ?

Those are the three that are boggling my mind right now and I want to get one but just can't make up my mind on which of the three.

Burnin is my biggest concern.

tutin said:
So this TV is better than Panasonic TH42-PA30E or Sammy PS-42D4S ?

Those are the three that are boggling my mind right now and I want to get one but just can't make up my mind on which of the three.

Burnin is my biggest concern.

All depends on how much cash you have to splash.

But the LG is a decent enough package.

Perhaps not everones cup of tea but for the money its fine.

i got jl bluewater to price match jl aberdeen at £1499, i just rang aberdeen, got the price and then phoned bluewater and told them, they checked and all was cool, being delivered tomorrow (assuming the snow doesnt stop them!)

I ordered mine from Dixons Direct, was delivered Sunday before last and am well happy with it, :clap: £1449 from www.dixons.co.uk, tis on the fourth page of plasmas.

Hitby

Hi Mike,

Did they price match on a web price?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,
Details of Digital-Point
Open Monday To Saturday 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Email:[email protected]

Digital-Point
259 - 261 Soho Road
Handsworth
Birmingham
B21 9RY

Telephone: 0870 7547070

They show in stock & £1,379.00 inc VAT & delivery

I have so far had 2 requests turned down for price matching of thus tv. The tv has to be in stock and the shop needs to have a high street outlet. At worst, they should at least match what another JL is flogging it for. They call it "undersell". If i dont find anywhere soon that has it cheaper than 1599, then i am going to complain. I can understand thier policy but i don't see why i can only get a price match with somewhere that has stock when i had to wait for over a month for delivery from JL.

Anybody have any other success?

tags, re my previous post aberdeen nor bluewater were in stock and still got the price match

Comet are selling them for £1,449, im thinking of buying one, does anyone
know if there is an output for 5.1 speakers on it?.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom