LG RZ-42PX11 - any impressions?

R

renmar

Hi,have anyone seen this plasma in the shop to compare the PQ with panny/sammy/other plasma?

Hi Renmar

I've seen it at a few shops and the picture quality seems good. I even managed them to show the demo of the XD Engine and you can really tell the different between having the XD Engine and viewing the picture without it.
I've only just ordered one yesterday and should be there later this week.

Regards
Big G

Hi anyone owning the LG plasma RZ42px11

I have bought one of these from comet for 2000 but i am not very much satisfied with the picture quality but i dont know if that is how a plasma picture should look like.

I am mainly concerned with a close up picture of a face when the face becomes two tones if you know what i mean.

If anyone can shed a light on it I shall be satisfied.

Regards

Naaz

Hi guys, i bought one of the LGs and decided after a couple of hours that it was going back! I was very dissapointed with the PQ even useing very expensive cables did'nt make much of a difference so i decided to save a bit more and now i own a Panasonic 42PE30 and the difference is like night and day.

thanks to all for your kind replies.

Naaz

I got an LG RZ-42PX11 two weeks ago.

The set physically looked very impressive in the showroom with a nice black outline around the screen to draw your eye to it. Picture quality (Finding Nemo DVD…seems to be the standard for showing the screens at their best) looked every bit as good as the Philips, Panasonics and various other brands around it. I went for the LG based on its looks, price (it was on sale) and the success of other LG products that I have.

When I got it home and hooked up all didn’t go well. The picture displayed by Sky Digital was terrible and to be honest the DVD playback was not much better. I later found out this effect was called ‘posterization’ and was normal on all plasma screens.

A trip back to the purchase shop and several other suppliers and asking them to switch on ‘tv’ confirmed that ‘normal’ viewing quality of these screens was poor.

However a visit to a small independent shop informed me that the circuitry inside plasma screens is not designed for television broadcasts or cheap to medium DVD players (they don’t you that in the high street stores) but are rather optimised for connection to a PC via VGA or DVI. They also informed me that the LG RZ-42PX11 would perform very badly with Sky and DVD when connected with Scart, as none of the three-scart sockets are RGB.

There answer was something called an ‘Up Scaler’. They explained it takes the input form Sky or a DVD player and basically doubles the number of lines the picture has and then outputs it to the 15 Pin VGA port (only port marked RGB) on the LG RZ-42PX11.

The result in store on a Samsung 42’’ was ‘night and day’. Up Scaler off – and picture was like my LG, colours mucked all over the place. Up scaler on and picture was excellent. The device was called a ‘Zinwell Brite-View Progressive Scan Scaler’. They offered to sell me one for £299.99 but I have found them cheaper online – the cheapest being £199.99 for a brand new one being offered on eBay. I have ordered one and it should arrive tomorrow. I hope it makes the same difference as it did the shops display model.

If it does or indeed makes no difference, my question to the world of Plasma/LCD sellers is that why buyers are not told of these issues and the steps that need to be taken and most importantly of all – that when purchasing a Plasma/ LCD its not really designed for ‘normal tv’.

Thanks pmccreight

Please keep me informed of the development you have as I am very much disappointed with the so called posterisation.

Regards

pmccreight,
I would have to disagree with what they told you in the store. My Panasonic looks just about as good as anything can look when displaying normal TV (Freeview).
I tested the LG via component as well as the Samsung and Panny. All 3 using the same xbox and the same 3 or 4 games. Seeing as I was staying away from the LG's ( supposedly ) non-RGB scarts I should be getting a true component signal. The xbox displaying 480i is a relativly low quality signal, so if the store man you spoke to is correct, all plasmas should display this image pretty poorly.

The Samsung and LG clearly posterized the image far worse than the Panasonic without a doubt. The shimmer and dot crawl were also alot worse.

An up-scaler may work, but dont be fooled into thinking you would need one of these for all plasmas. The electronics inside the Panny certainly dont.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom