1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ-42PX11 Alternatives

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mike Beds, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Mike Beds

Mike Beds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

New member & first post :hiya:

Am considering buying a LG RZ-42PX11. I can currently get it at £1350 in Comet, as girlfriend has Woolworth discount card but she is leaving on Fri so have to buy it soon (prob today!).

I have looked at it in the shop. Not great on a coaxial signal, seemed quite good on component with progressive scan from a DVD, though still some solarization, esp on face close-ups or dark scenes, though better if you sit further away.

Are there any equivalent (or better) quality units at a similar price (really £1500 or less).

They must have component in (the nearest price Phillips or Pannies don't seem to have this) as my DVD has progressive scan through component only (not scart). I will be watching TV through RGB scart from NTL box (& VHS through this link too) though may change to Sky as NTL quality poor lately (lots of pixelation). What's the quality like through RGB scart?

I will not be using RF coaxial.

Any comments or other recommendations before I purchase (my first plasma screen!).

Cheers,

Mike

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do you have surround sound? if so a Panny PW7 with media box (was £1300) would be next best bet.....will cost a bit more but does perform better!

3. Mike Beds

Mike Beds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, should have said.

Yes, only interested in picture quality as have full separate 5.1 surround sound system already.

Looked at some links in previous posts to Pannies PW6/7 - seemed similar price for screen only but by the time you added in tuners/boards for component and scart, price was up a few hundred quid at least.

Do you have any links to these to reputable retailers? (some of the vendors in the links had quite poor reviews).

Thanks.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is sound system has video switching all you need is panel and one board.....there are places doing panny for £1350 with a board!!!

5. jonny_kay

jonny_kay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy the LG too, but the picture quality put me off a bit when I saw it in the shop. It was not very clear or sharp close up. I had a look at the same plasma in another shop and it was crystal clear, even when close up. It was running off an LG tuner box or something.

You could buy some very cheap screens (saying that, they are literally screens) at richer sounds from as little as £900 (Daewoo advertised at £799 and after adding required cover of £100). It will have computer input only.

What do you do with that I hear you ask. Well, you can buy these tuner sort of boxes on ebay for around £25 and they will basically convert your Scart, RGB etc into the computer input which the plasma requires.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very cheap they are too and not very good neither are the £25 tuner boxes....for an idea of what can be done on a quite modest budget see this thread......http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292

7. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've seen the LG in two shops now alongside more expensive models and the picture was amazing ! it was just as clear as the others , I'm going for the LG !

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Quitel likely those shops have not worked out how to build margin into a decent plasma, and have connected them with composite, and spent time on the LG. Sorry all you LG fans, spent Tuesday in the company of an LG, just nasty compared to the Pioneer and panasonic screens around it, little improvement was possible with the settings. I'm told here they are hit or miss, depending on firmware. Not good enough for me, what if you got a bad one?

9. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Maybe so Maw, but as a retailer you would say that wouldn't you.

For those out there who are thinking about purchasing the LG - do not worry they are an ideal purchase.

Do not be put off by equipment snobs who sneer at equipment if it does not have a certain manufacturers badge on it.

I and many others have purchased the LG and are very much enjoying the experience of watching the excellent quality of the picture.

If you have any doubt then purchase from John Lewis as you get 5 years warranty in the price.

Now, what was her name again ? was it Hyacinth Bucket?

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own a similar model to the LG (a samsung) and the Panasonic is genuinely a much better screen. I've heard people complain of the same problems with motion and banding on the LG that I experienced on the Samsung. I saw one in Richer Sounds whilst purchasing a DVD player and it looked pretty much the same as the Sammy. I don't care about the badge on the front - if I did, then I would have bought a Sony. The Panasonic screen is not for snobs, it's bloody cheap and it's much better than all the other cheap budget models out there ony because it's a high-end screen with no extras, just a VGA port.

11. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I also have the LG and am really really happy with it, after the 200 hour run in period the picture has been getting progressively better until now the pq is better than my 32" Phillips CRT (as well as seeming massively bigger). Running Sky through RGB scart and my dvd player through the component, The number of inputs on this thing is amazing, I'm still discovering them now. I play a lot of xbox as well (connected using the composite until I can get a hi-def cable (its chipped) and have had no problems with screen burn and only minor image retention which dissapears almost immediately. I can quite honestly say that jaws drop when people come in. <edit>FWIW its a 5.13 fw.</edit>

Cheers

Dan

12. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peabo said "I used to own a similar model to the LG (a samsung)"

Could you explain what was similar about it?

You have to realise that some people just want a screen for watching and do not own a seperate sound system etc etc that connect to screen like the Panasonic.

With the LG you do not need to worry about buying any add ons - its all there.

Are you saying that I and countless others out there all made a big mistake in purchasing the PX11?

I tell you what, I am very happy with all aspects of my screen - be it the connectivity, picture or build quality.

Once again anybody thinking about purchasing a LG - don't worry what the equipment snobs say - you will love it.

However, I would not say that about any Tiny product.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your standards must be lower than mine then mate, I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, as a consumer or a retailer. The one I saw was on 5.13, still not what I'd call 1/2 way decent, and it's not really cheaper than the panasonic anyway, apart from those lovely speakers on the side. You don't need lots of inputs on the screen in a properly configured system, I can't remember the last time I connected more than 1 video source, except for picture in picture setups.

14. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw says "Your standards must be lower than mine then mate, I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole"

Do not think it is my standards that are lower but maybe my income is though. So maybe I should not be allowed to purchase a plasma screen until I get a job which pays me more cash, enough to allow me to buy a screen which you find acceptable

I can only spend what I can afford.

Can you tell me where I can purchase a Panasonic screen complete with some sort of board with a 5 years warranty for £1400?

Once again I say my PX11 is ideal for me and my wife and three kids also love it. So do my mates who come round to watch the footie - but hey what do we know? we should be embarrassed watching that screen shouldn't we Maw
    But as you say Maw - I only have low standards

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, well, the 5 year warranty would be a bit of a problem, that's JL I take it? They stopped selling PW's cos their customers were mostly too thick to connect them up. The 5 year thing is a hard one to counter for us smaller retailers, I reckon they make no money on plasma sales. Other than that, £1400 is by no means impossible to achieve. I simply choose not to own or sell LG, for various reasons. I cannot afford to sell stuff which has such a high dissatisfaction level. About 1/2 of the early screens went back, they do seem to have sorted it out a bit now. With the margins we get on a plasma, if you have to pick a screen up from an unhappy customer that's the profit gone already, let alone refunding them, or supplying another screen with no backup from the manufacturer. I then have to sell a crap 2nd hand screen for 2p, find a decent one with an even better discount for the customer to stop them spreading the word that I sell only crap, it just goes on. LG is not the only brand I won't sell, and those other brand owners hate me for saying so too, water off a ducks back to me I'm afraid. I don't hold it against you for buying it, I just like folks to know they have a higher chance of not being happy with LG than some other affordable plasmas. BTW for just a couple of hundred quid more than your LG you could have a Panasonic and surround sound. Have a look at Richer sounds offers.

Billy, I am not including you or any other forum members in the 'too thick' bracket, you are not really a 'typical' JL plasma customer, you did your research 1st.

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds. Panasonic PWD6 - £1208.99 including a 3 year warranty. Plus add another £150 for virtually any board of your choice. Comes in well under at 40 quid under the 1400...not quite the 5 year warranty you were looking for, but I guarantee in 3 years time, you'll be looking to upgrade anyway...

And yes, I brought one. and yes, I'm very happy.

17. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you are happy with your Panasonic just like I am very happy with my LG.

After 3 years I will not be looking to upgrade - why should I when I have a 5 year warranty?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This week I am mostly watching a Pioneer....

19. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    "for just a couple of hundred quid more" - yeah because its really easy to justify spending more. MAW, It makes sense that you would slate every screen that you don't specifically stock whilst 'bigging up' the models that you actually do. Also, your standards MAY be higher than the average home user, after all, you are a retailer and enthusiast. The majority of people (I'd imagine) would just like to have an 'all in one' solution that provides good PG (which, contrary to you opinion) the LG actually does, multiple inputs (yes, your professional installs rarely need more than one, but what about the people that have multiple sources they don't want to, or can't afford to replace?). As I've stated previously I'm MORE than happy with the PQ of my screen and would be happy to take pictures of it for anyone that would like to make an INFORMED decision based on whats available rather than just whats available from MAW ltd.

Cheers
    Dan

20. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw , that is a well thought out reply. I hope you did not take my piece of cheek too personally.

There is no way I am questioning your knowledge of the subject (the number of posts you have should be enough to see that)

I am only saying that some people are only interested in buying one piece of kit and putting on their sideboard or where ever. They do not add any amps or speakers. They just want to plug in their sky scart lead , swith on the leccy and away you go.

I personally bought the LG for its connectivity. I have Sky plus, Video, DVD, A Force reciever for the Scandanavian "cultural" channels, playstation 2 and a (don't laugh) dance mat for the kids.

I also have it hooked up to a Yamaha Amp with Mission speakers. I certainly get my moneys worth from it and I have no worries for at least 5 years.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm intrigued by the scandinavian 'cultural' channels, you have a 2nd feed on RF from that one to the bedroom, I take it!

Dan, I counter your argument by pointing out that as an independent I can sell whatever I like. It's possible that by going down market I could sell more screens/systems/installs. I choose not to as my clients are inclined to call me at any time to have a go if something is not to their liking. I actually went to one a while back at 11.30, thought I might as well as the b***** had woken me up, his sky box had frozen, he was as a newt, it just needed unplugging and re plugging. Funnily enough it was frozen on a 'scandinavian' channel, not one I'd describe as culture mind you. He was too P**ed to care.

22. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I accept your point of view MAW but I still think that telling everyone, no matter what their situation, that a panny is the way to go isn't correct. The majority (not everybody) are just looking for a replacement for their current tv. The LG is just such a box. The Panny, although the picture is arguably better, is a display. Along with the purchase you need to buy 5.1, various cards depending on your input devices etc. This all adds up to being more expensive AND more hastle for those of us that can't afford or justify the cost of having an installer to set it all up. I have a mate that's a complete technophobe, if I suggested the panny route to him he most probably wouldn't buy a plasma at all and then he'd miss out on the joy of owning one. Having said that thumbs up for going round to sort out your clients problem, what an A.S.S! hahaa!
    Cheers though and I'm sure everyone on these boards has benefitted from your advice at some point or another (just wish I didn't hear PANNY all the time.

Dan

23. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung (PS42V4S) was similar in terms of picture quality and price point. It's another Korean budget model like the LG. It came with attachable speakers, loads of inputs and a stand. It had a tolerable picture but no where near as good as the Panasonic. I was happy with the TV and prepared to put up with its shortcomings but it broke down on me twice so I got a refund and a PWD6 with the money. It cost me the same as the Samsung did originally. You can get a PW7 with input boards for around £1300 now which is hardly any different from the LG's price. I'd hardly call selecting input boards a 'worry', it's pretty easy stuff.

I don't think you're wrong about getting an LG. But don't think that the Panasonic is only for rich people, it's in the same price bracket as the LG. I wouldn't sacrifice the difference in picture quality for the few minutes it takes to select the right input boards for the panel.

Also, not everyone loves the LG, there are plenty of negative reports about it.

24. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I consider myself quite knowledgable when it comes to all forms of technology and when I first started looking at plasmas I contemplated the Panny. Choosing the boards along with the cables that I would need etc was confusing for me. I just imagine that it would be infinitely harder if not impossible for your average Joe on the high street.

>>I wouldn't sacrifice the difference in picture quality for the few minutes it takes to select the right input boards for the panel.

I don't believe that there is any sacrifice in picture quality except perhaps for those 'videophiles' that look out for every imperfection (and there has been comments made on numerous occasions from panny owners that they can see all the imperfections that others claim don't exist.)
    Surely this points to it being a matter of personal taste, what looks fantastic to one doesn't to another an all that?!? As HD and MAW and many more have written before me, if you can, view before buying and if you're happy with it don't let forum posts niggle away at you and buy the bloody thing :)

Dan

Dan

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry bud. Won't be answering anymore of your HT related questions...you asked a question I answered it. I hadn't read the whole thread. just saw your thread asking for a plasma for under £1400 with a warranty.

help youreself next time bud... :smashin:

And why will you be looking to upgrade...? Same reason as the rest of us. Panel wear and Hi Def...

26. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never owned an LG, but I know that there difinitely was a difference between my Samsung and the new Panasonic. My brother said "Your old plasma was s***! This looks MUCH better!" when he saw it for the first time. Even so, I liked the Samsung when I owned it, I just never knew the Panasonic would be so much better.

27. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    bummer, was watching this thread and I've missed all the fun :(

:)

28. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    you gotta be fast to beat those mods :)

29. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    LOL, faster than a speeding moderator??? No chance!!!

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Oh dear, thought we'd all agreed to differ!