1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RZ-42PX11 1 dead pixel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hugetv, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hugetv

hugetv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all....sorry if this subject has come up a number of time, i have read extensively through forums but need my own answers.

I recently purchased a LG RZ-42PX11, had it 4 days and noticed one dead pixel (black) its not that bad and i realise manufacturers can cover themselves by saying you can have a small number. Its so vague though and i like all others want perfection. I rang LG and they said if its within 7 days of purchase they would replace it if i contacted the retailer. I did this through a 'help' line, which basically told me they would do nothing. I went back to the store and they are going to swap it. basically I have a few questions.

1) does anybody else with this screen have dead pixels or has the manuf processed improved so much that they are now rare?
    2) Is one dead one not that bad, should i have bothered, and could the new one be worse?
    3) when the guys bring the new screen (im paying for install) am i within my rights to test it with the whitewash function/and plug a laptop in and test all pixels, and if its worse than the old one can i just keep the old one?

thanks in advance.

2. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if you spend more than 1200 pounds on a telly it should be perfect! I have traded my GBA SP because it had dead pixels for a new one.

Good luck!

3. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would have thought the best bet would be to test it as you see fit. If it is faulty then refuse delivery and ask for another.

I'm not sure if it could be classed as not fit for purpose for a dead pixel, but as rightly mentioned it is a lot if money for a deffective product.

Try to test it before you sign for it, or sign 'unchecked' if they refuse to let you test it first.

Don't ask for the old one as you have already rejected it.

If the replacement is duff, then ask for your money back or try another brand imo.

Adam

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As your search revealed, it's not a common problem. It's actually very good of LG to allow the dealer to replace it, I wonder if they then credit the dealer? 1 dead pixel is well within spec, so to speak. Just to show how rare it is though, of the plasmas I've sold and installed, I have seen 1 dead pixel, that's about 400 screens.

5. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i'm not being funny but what does a dead pixel look like?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A black speck on the screen. If it's red, blue or green it's stuck. It happens that they can unstick, but not come back to life.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thank you

8. hugetv

hugetv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the advice guys

MAW - I love the Marvin pic (brain the size of a planet.....), and cheers for giving me some useful stats and info, how many stuck pixels have you seen in your time?

Can you tell me the best way to check for stuck pixel. I have a laptop and free 'deadpix' software.

Is it just a case of checking for dead with white wash, then cycling through colours red/green/blue/black with 'deadpix' software and checking at each stage.

any help would be good, any alternative software recommendations would be gratefully received.

thanks

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dead pixels make me feel very depressed. I have seem 7 or 8 of the little perishers, about 4 on the same screen though. I don't use special software, just a full screen .ppt presentation with white, followed by cyan, magenta and yellow, that seems to show them up.

10. hugetv

hugetv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the advice guys.

My plasma was swapped out and installed (free of charge...normally £60), and I tested it thoroughly.

The helpdesk were going to do nothing, but the local store allowed the TV to be swapped. Brilliant service in my view.

I know lots of people knock Currys in these forums, but they couldnt do enough for me.

IMHO The TV is also amazing for the price.

I've had a wireless laptop connected to it via the vga and can browse and work pretty clearly, and am now going to check this out via a newly aquired dvi cable.

all fun and games!

11. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Do you have a URL for the free 'deadpix' software or is it not easy to use?

I suppose some solid colour pictures, red, green, blue, white, black and a slideshow program on a laptop would work too or is deadpix more than that?

12. hugetv

hugetv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have on red pixel on my lg doesnt bother me from th distance i sit only when up close can i even see it