LG RPTV service menu?!

R

razorhasyou

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu on LG RE-40NZ60RB ?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

whoa, steady there dude. do you have this tv? can you tell me a bit about it please. what's the picture like, does it have 2 componant imputs and what the pip like? i'm considering this model and you are the first person on here to post about it. so if you could give me your impressions i'd be very greatful.

I've payed for it and I'll get it next week.
I can write a small review with some pictures if you want, when I get it. ;)

excellent. where did you order it from?

In Sweden. I tried to order it from UK but they didn't want to ship it to Sweden. :rolleyes:

I've got one of these arriving next week, will post my views on it but had a long look at it and very pleased for the 'money' (see my post elsewhere in TV forum).

You can search for Zenith (a US brand) service codes. This company is owned by LG and their products are very similar to the LGs.

Today I bought a RE-39NZ43RB. I think it's more or less the same as the 40 inch model. (At least they share the same chassis and user manual.)

Initial impressions are good. Very nice picture from DVD (RGB via SCART).
I would call it cinema like - a bit grainy, not razor sharp but very enjoyable.
Usable picture quality from cable TV. In this area the smaller the picture the better the perceived picture quality.

No fancy aspect ratio modes, but zoom and 14:9 is OK.
Out of the box the unit had some convergence errors, but the auto convergence process corrected the errors. Only very slight misalignment on the left edge of the screen, I can easily live with it.
Sorting the stored TV stations is pain in the back, I gave up after the 23rd station and left it as it was stored by the auto tuning process.

There are two component input sets on the back but I don't have a suitable DVD player to try them out. Probably no PAL progressive.
Viewing distance is 4 meters.
Previous set was a Sony WEGA 29 inch 4:3 set.

For the money I think it is a good set. And in my situation (watching a widescreen presentation on a 29 inch 4:3 set from 4 meters) it is a huge step forward.

are you in the US?

Thanks zzoli. Let me know if you get into the service menu. :)

...and how.

weyland_yutani:
I'm in Hungary.

razorhasyou:
If you do a google search with zenith+service+menu you'll find some pages.
I let you try those codes first...

Got my LG RE-40NZ60RB today!
Have played some xbox on it and it's really good.
It has a lot of settings to get better picture/sound.
The only bad thing I can say so far is that the remotecontrol sucks ass.

Picures will come tomorrow hopefully ;)

and for weyland-yutani: If you don't know where to order it from, check http://www.dealtime.co.uk/ or http://www.dealtime.com/

Have you seen a difference in the picture quality when switching DRPC on/off?

On a side note:
I repeated the auto convergence process in total darkness. Result: perfect convergence.

Did you tried the component inputs?

And how about the service menu :)

Originally posted by zzoli
Have you seen a difference in the picture quality when switching DRPC on/off?

On a side note:
I repeated the auto convergence process in total darkness. Result: perfect convergence.

Did you tried the component inputs?

And how about the service menu :)

DRPC: I see the diffrents when it's showing light colors.

I don't have any auto convergence. :'(

And last, I have not managed to get into the service menu :(

Originally posted by razorhasyou

And last, I have not managed to get into the service menu :(

I made the mistake to go into the service menu of my Sony.
I screwed up royally the geometry of the unit. Even though I wrote down the factory setting it took 4 hours to get back to the original state. Since then I leave this pleasure to qualified technicians.

Originally posted by razorhasyou

I don't have any auto convergence. :'(

but this model should have auto convergence as a feature:confused:

anyone got a more detailed discription of this tv, now. razorhasyou?

Originally posted by weyland-yutani
anyone got a more detailed discription of this tv, now. razorhasyou?

Let me know what you want to know...
I love this TV!
I tried the component on Lord of the Rings today. It was a wonderful and sharp picture. :)
component.jpg

Let me know if you want pictures of this luve machine ;)

hi razor,
could you let me know about the auto convergence feature? its listed as a feature on uk models, but you say your unit doesn't have this fearture, is that correct?

also could you tell me about convergence is it good, no red/blue tinting anywhere? pics would be great.

does the tv have 2 component imputs?
what is the viewing angle like. how far from center can you sit before the picture darkens?

thanks for replying.

auto convergence= No auto feature, but you can do it manually and it's really good too. 9 spots to setup, 1 in the middle and 4 in each corner and the last 4 between the corner spots. It's a damn good machine.

viewing angle= Pretty good, I can't complain about it.

2 component= Yes. Very good!

The TV is worth every penny and more, so far :D

thanks razor, any chance of some pics?

OK I've had the RE40NZ60RB a few days and here are my initial impressions.

Overall, very pleased. The pictures are VERY bright and vivid and the functionality of the set is very good.

Lots of viewing modes but I'm using primarily using a Sky box (with 16:9 mode on, RGB out via converter box to S-video in on the set, set on 16:9 mode) and it's great. Don't have anything at the moment with component outputs so can't comment on that.

To get the best out of the set you do need to play with the settings a lot. The factory defaults are a little silly and I suspect intended for showroom display.

The screen has more brightness than you need and I hope this doesn't translate into shorter tube/lamp life. It's easily viewable in a bright room and a massive step forward in that respect from my old Sony.

The sharpness settings need a little care as you can start to see some artefacts if it's too high. Can't say I really notice the difference with DRPC or VM but it's a little early yet as I haven't used a full range of content yet (sport/action etc.)

The main criticism I have is that the colours can be over vivid and the picture is very 'warm'. Reds really hit you and are far too strong.

I really don't understand why manufacturers stick to a single 'Colour' control and don't allow the user access to either 'Hue' and 'Saturation' controls or some sort of White Balance control. This is particularly true on a three tube system where you can't expect consistent performance - especially over time. Looking around n the web i note the NTSC version of this set has a 'Tint' control (hardly surprising with NTSC) but why not for PAL? I know the capability's in there but it needs an engineer to access it.

Overall I get the impression the controls have been set to give an impressive spec. whereas I would prefer more control over a usable range.

I currently have the settings at Contrast 85, Brightness 50, Colour 28-33 (which is a little low but it's needed to take the edge off the overbright reds), Sharpness 50.

Don't get me wrong, red issue aside, the set is very good but the price you pay for that is it highlights any variances in scene or studio lighting.

As far as sound goes, it certainly seems to have reasonable power but I haven't really used it as I have a separate 7.1 setup.

PIP works fine and has flexible in settings but it depends how much usage it gets.

Silliest/Most Pointless feature? 'Turbo Picture'. Unless you want ot test your sunglasses or induce a migraine, it's just a waste of time.

Oh, and I agree, the remote sucks, it's some sort of 70's throwback, overlarge, ugly and I suspect of US design.

If anyone wants any more info, I'll do my best to respond.

still want to know if the uk version has auto convergence as stated on some websites, any help ticktock?

have you viewed the tv in low light conditions as your contrast setting seems very high?

Originally posted by weyland-yutani
have you viewed the tv in low light conditions as your contrast setting seems very high?

I've my contrast on 40 and the picture is just fine in a dark room. It's even fine when the sun is shining on the tv.

Originally posted by ticktock1957
I currently have the settings at Contrast 85, Brightness 50, Colour 28-33 (which is a little low but it's needed to take the edge off the overbright reds), Sharpness 50.

Damn, Contrast: 85!?
Everything above 50 will lower the lifetime of the rptv.

Try the AVIA dvd to get the best picture...

To what extent high contrast will lower the life I'm not sure as it depends on the spec of the components. Bear in mind that 'out of the box' the picture presets of 'Standard' has a contrast of 95 and even 'Mild' uses 60.

In the absence of reference material (I must get the AVIA) i find The Weakest Link is a good test as Anne Robinson wears a black jacket against a black background under stark lighting. If you bring out the detail in her coat on that then you're on your way.

I'm still working on the settings but I find a contrast of 40 too low but then it's all down to personal preferences in the end.

As for the convergence, no the UK model doesn't have Auto Convergence. You have either a single point or 9 point option to set the red or blue against the green and you have to do it manually. It takes time (and you need to do it in the dark) but it's worth it.

Any Auto feature has to rely on feedback by whatever method from the output of the tubes and to what extent that could compare to the actual input from the viewer on the right side of the screen i don't know. I prefer to set it manually then I know it's spot on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom