LG RH266 - fast dubbing from HDD to DVD

db3

Standard Member
I am converting hundreds of VHS recordings to DVD. I have just purchased an LG RH266 recorder with a 160 GB HDD. What I had envisaged doing was recording videos onto the HDD until it fills ups, edit what's on the HDD, then fast dub the lot to DVD+Rs. I have tried it with a 3 hour tape, it recorded to the HDD OK but I am not given the option to fast dub to DVD. It does mention in the manual that the fast dubbing does not work unless there is sufficient space on the DVD but how does this work. If I have 3 hours of SP video on the HDD and wanted to copy it onto a DVD using say EP quality there would be enough room on the DVD but I still don't get the otion to fast dub if I try that.

I would not be using EP anyway- all I want to do is to record from video onto HDD at SP speed, do some editing, then fast dub to DVD with SP quality. As each DVD gets filled up I stick in a new one. It seems that I can't do this. If I don't have the option of fast dubbing it's going to take 6+ hours to transfer a 3 hour video tape to DVD via the HDD.

Am I doing something wrong? If it's a "feature" of this particular machine can anyone recommend a machine that will do what i'm looking for.
Thanks

ravingdave

Novice Member
I have got a Sony 870, rather than an LG, but am assuming they workn in the same way. On the Sony in standard recording mode there is only enough space to dub just over 2 hours of material onto a standard DVD-R disk. If I record anything longer (eg a 3 hour VHS tape), then it needs to be re-encoded at a lower quality to fit onto a single DVD, and therefore can only be dubbed in real-time. I think your options would be:
a) record from VHS initially in EP mode, in which case the 3 hours should then fast dub without having to be re-encoded. You may not notice any significant loss of quality doing this anyway as VHS recordings are not always the best!
b) record from VHS in SP mode, but only 2 hours max at a time. You could then fast dub 2 x 3 hour VHS tapes onto 3 standard DVDs
c) When editing your current VHS SP recordings, split them into chunks of approx 2 hours, to get the same result as b)

db3

Standard Member
Thanks ravingdave, I have edited the 3 hour recording down to 2 hours by deleting the last hour and now I have the option to fast dub, it is dubbing as I write this.

But lets say I wanted to split the 3 hours into a 2 hour and 1 hour part (i.e. keep the 1 hour part rather than deleting it) I don't see a way of doing that. In the manual it says how to divide one title into two however it appears this can only be done when the recording is on a +RW disc rather than the HDD. Any ideas?

ravingdave

Novice Member
The Sony certainly allows a title to be divided into 2, so I could split a 3 hr recording into 2+1 (however, this is a one way street on the Sony - there is no way of joining them again). I'd check the manual again to make sure it's not possible, or just try to do it with a test recording - I'd be surprised if the function was there to split on a DVD, but not on the HDD.

Does the LG have any kind of playlist function which lets you do non-destructive edits. So you could set up a playlist of your 3 hour title - remove the last hour, and dub the first two hours from the playlist. Then set up a new playlist, remove the first two hours, and dub the final hour?

If none of this is possible, then I think your best bet would be to just record from VHS as two titles; 1st one 2 hours, and the 2nd for 1 hour. Or alternatively record to more expensive dual layer disks (if the LG supports them) which have twice the capacity.

db3

Standard Member
Thanks again. I checked again and the titles on the HDD cannot be split. Also I've looked into the playlist idea, it only works for titles on -RW discs.

It's quite frustrating. This LG recorder is one of the cheapest HDD recorders I've seen but perhaps this is because of lack of versatility/options when it comes to HDD editing. I think I'll bring it back and exchange it for something else, does anyone have any suggestions for a recorder that will allow (relatively) quick and easy editing and transfer of VHS recordings.

ravingdave

Novice Member
db3, the Sony 770/870/970 range will let you do what you are trying to achieve. Titles on the hard disk can be permanently split into smaller chunks, or you can also set up a dubbing playlist to do the same thing without affecting the original title.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom