1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RE44 Picture etc

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Eallin, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Took delivery of my RE44 on Thursday gone. Altogether very happy with the set, however, I do have a few questions:

* Picture quality - connections are Sky to TV via QED P2110 scart (RGB) and DVD player (Denon DHT500) to TV via QED P-CV1 component. I've messed about with all of the settings and the picture isn't too bad, but I'm sure it could be better. Any tips?
    * Sky remote - tried all of the remote codes supplied by Sky and none will program the remote to control the TV functions. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks in advance,

Ed.

2. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Eallin,

I spent weeks adjusting the settings. In the end I set it back to the factory defaults - these do seem to give the best all round picture on this set IMHO.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

3. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply blasthand,

By factory settings, I assume Dynamic, Standard, etc? I find that Standard is sharper, but lacks brightness and Dynamic is brighter, but lacks sharpness!!!

I have tried using the Standard settings then adjusting the brightness, but doesn't seem to do the trick.

I'm still struggling with the Sky remote code; do you have Sky?

Thanks,

Ed.

4. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I to have the LG R44 and a Denon DHT500 nice to see you have the same problems as me that is "its not my eyes". I have a Mark Grant component dvd to tv and M.Grant audio from sky to dvd, Thor scart from Sky to tv.I have just had an engineer out to look at the tv, he said thats the way they are?, he has seen a worse picture on plasma's?.
    I find it worse with RGB on for Sky, I must admit I think you need to be a fair distance away from the tv, I sit about 3 meters away, but still find the picture grainy and the faces in some films have a plastic look about them which I thought they had sorted out on this model?.
    About your Sky remote, I was told that they don't work on alot of new tv's.
    If you ever get a better picture on your tv let me know, I am going to try a THX setup disc when I get a chance, I will let you know if that's any better.

5. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Guys,

No probs re earlier reply :)

Now you got me looking at mine again - aaarrgghh!! :laugh:

I've just set it to dynamic - seems a bit sharper to me, definately brighter. Kinda like it actually, I'll see how it goes - again!

Running sky through RGB scart on AV1. Can't remember lead details, had it about 3 years...but it's a fairly goodun as I recall - could be time for a refresh though :)

Running DVD (Sony DVP-NS585P) via progressive scan on component 1 with a Profigold Oxypure lead - that's a sweet picture :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the skin tones. In dark scenes they just look a bit "strange". Someone ages ago referred to them as having an "oil painting" type effect - I thought that was a pretty good call. Either of you seen any rainbowing?

As for the sky remote - I've never bothered with trying to use it to control the set.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

6. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again for the replies.

Now settled on the 'Standard' setting. Dynamic is just too bright for me! Must say I've got used to PQ now. DVD is amazing, find it difficult to complain, just some Sky channels a little 'grainy'. Will try THX set-up (have it on a Region 1 T2 disc) and post the outcome if it's any good.

No rainbowing yet thankfully.

Still getting used to the size of the thing (replaced Sony 28" wega widescreen). The Sky infobar is as big as the old telly! Still makes me smile :laugh:

If anyone manages to sort the Sky code, please let me know, it's really bugging me. Means I actually have to use the TV remote which I'm not used to. That reminds me, can channel numbers be assigned to AV/Component inputs? Will have a look.

Cheers,

Ed.

7. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Eallin,
    Why don't you feed your audio from your Sky box into your Denon, you still have to use your dvd remote but you might get a code for that.But the main thing is you get sound from all your speakers in Neo 6 mode give it a go. Sounds much better than the tv built in speakers. :thumbsup:

8. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Owey,

Already have, but use DPL II. Only connected with standard phonos at the moment until Sky+ arrives at the end of this week when it'll be optical connections.

I (and the family) have just got so used to controlling the TV with Sky remote that it's a hard habit to break at the moment.

Ed.

9. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Guys,

Well...this damn thread got me tweaking my settings yet again! :laugh:

For the last couple of days now I've had the best picture since I got the set so I thought I'd post them up just as an FYI.

Mode: User
    Contrast: 70
    Brightness: 85
    Colour: 53
    Sharpness: 74

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

10. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Me too.

I mentioned my preference for the 'Standard'...well started with that, then tweaked the brightness a bit, leaves me with:

Contrast 80;
    Brightness 63;
    Colour 50; and
    Sharpness 40.

Best picture I've managed and kept for a whole week now without messing!

On a totally different subject, couple of probs I've just noticed. First is the fan noise. Normally I don't notice it, but just recently, after it's been on for while, it starts to make a noise like there's something stuck in it...a bit spokey-dokey like if you know what I mean?! Not quite so exaggerated, but annoying nonetheless.

Secondly, notice that six inches of the right hand side of the screen seems to shape things like this ( a sort of convex shape.

I'm on the phone to LG tomorrow, but interested to know if anyone else has had either or both of these problems.

Cheers,

Ed

11. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Eallin,

I've recently noticed the same problem as yourself regards the geometry, but I have it on both sides of the screen...( ). Be interested to hear what LG say if you'd be good enough to post further details once you've spoken to them.

Cheers,
    Blast.

12. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will do.

Now noticed mine is affected boths sides but like this...) ( I'm hoping the engineer has some way of changing this like you can on a standard CRT PC monitor. Looked on my PC at work today and it's the pincussion setting.

The guy I spoke to at LG laughed his socks off when I mentioned the 'spokey-dokey' fan :laugh: They're arranging an engineer visit sometime soon :smashin:

Ed.

13. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Engineers visited a week ago...verdict...one of the fans is faulty and the panel itself is concave, hence the )(.

Engineer confirmed the problems with LG and have suggested I request an exchange...so have done.

Funny thing is I haven't even considered a refund (apart from now!) as I'm so happy with the set :thumbsup:

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Ed.

14. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Eallin,
    Thanks for letting us know what happened, so are you saying its supposed to be concaved or thats a fault as well?. I would like to know because mine is the same.

15. saxtonma

saxtonma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 17" LG LCD in the bedroom connected to SKY+, I use code 065 as listed below - works ok for me...

LG Lucky Goldstar
    065 244 405 318 037 398 191 459 245 389 080 275

I'm not sure if you've tried these codes allready, hope this helps though...

16. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The set shouldn't be concave, should be truly flat.

Re' codes - thanks, but I'd already tried those and no luck...but thanks anyway.

Ed.

17. lolmil

lolmil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the 'oil painting' on faces as well-Can someone explain rainbowing?

I use the av1 to connect NTL with a QED Squart lead and the picture at times is awful - especially when single colours are being displayed, such as a football pitch or a painted wall. There is lots of movement which I understand to be oxygen in the cable - but I don't think there are many better scart cables than this one - or are there?

Will be getting SKY+ soon instead though so will this give a better picture?

One final question - if I stand up and look down on the screen, the picture darkens but the focus is perfect with no movement - any ideas?

Its not all doom and gloom though - I bought one of these tv's to replace a 21inch Sony - so the size difference is excellent and the picture is excellent using a games console!

18. A.B.C

A.B.C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi newbie here, I had the same problem when i got my Loewe crt set - no code in the manual worked, i phoned up sky cust services and asked nicely if they had any new codes (thinking they update the hardware more often than they reprint the manuals) and hey presto they came up with a code that worked. my sky box was quite new though, so you might not be as lucky, but i reckon its worth giving them a ring.

19. murk

murk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have had the same concaved screen fault now for a couple of days and the engineer came round today and could not do anything. he said that comet gonna ring me back. What is the status with your tv Eallin?

p.s i have only had the tv for 2 weeks apart from concaved screen i love it!

20. murk

murk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had to ring comet again today becuase the engineer had lied and said he had fixed the geometry! got another engineer coming on friday! i love the tv i just want a replacement which lg said would be fine!!!!

21. lolmil

lolmil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. murk

murk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump! :devil:

23. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TV finally replaced today. Only two months!

No fan noise, but it's early days for that...still has the geometry problem. Will be speaking to LG again tomorrow, so will post an update after that.

Ed.

24. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm sure I saw a geometry adjustment setting in the service menu...

I can't be sure but I'm pretty certain I was going to mess on with it but I didn't.