1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg Re-44sz21rd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chopper dave, Jan 9, 2004.

1. chopper dave

chopper dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any information about the LG RE-44SZ21RD regarding its pros and cons. I have hound out a bit of info about DLP tv's generally but any more help would be useful. I have been offered one as a replacement for my Panasonic tx47pt10.

Thanks

Chopper dave

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my brother in law has one not very impressed with it paid £2500 3 months ago now its £1888 naff picture naff dvd picture not that good at all id steer clear

3. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This months edition of Essential Home Cinema have it in their buyers guide saying "A great debut for DLP TV. Flaws are apparent but not fatal and should be ironed out by the next generation"

Perhaps not a good idea

4. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Has anyone any idea about the next generation of this TV? I'm sure I read somewhere that there's a version with a DVI input but I can't find the thread

5. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont forget the LG RE-44SZ21RD is the newer version of the LG DLP tv. The older LG RE-44SZ20RD had no component input and Progressive scan. Maybe other changes, but not sure.

All the versions ive seen demoed are the older SZ20, so I cant comment on PQ. I would guess jellys brother in law also has this older version.

6. chopper dave

chopper dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bongpig

It is the 21 model that i have been offered. Do you know what the improvements are on the 21 over the 20?

The lg website only refers to the 20 model at present and unfortunately the chap in a high street chain did not even know that there was a new model out and began to agrue the toss that their is not yet a 21 model out, until i pointed out that their product cards identified the 21 model as part of a package deal they were offering.

i have noticed that another thread refers to 20 model and states that shops have to put the brightness and contrast up the 98/100 to match the levels on similar sets on display. I hope that this is one of the area improved in the 21 model

Thanks

Chopper Dave

7. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep. Im the one who posted about the LG brightness & contrast levels. Its the strongest reason why I dont like the LG. Check out the Samsung LCD rptv thread.

Even tho many retailers sell the 21 on thier website, all the demos ive seen have been the 20. I havent seen the 21 to comment. I suspect, the only difference is the extra connectivity, rather than any big improvements on the actual display.

8. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I' ve just bought the 21 and as you found Curry's only had the 20 on display. However I sat and watched a range of DVD's etc... and despite the brightness issue it is an excellent TV with no probs on dark scences (with the controls turned up). And let's be honest how often to people mess about the colour/contrast etc once you have a good setting. In terms of the image quality/darkness it is designed to be viewed at eye level i.e. straight on. Quality of images/size is excellent for the cost etc... I hope of course the 21 is better than the 20 and as you say Curry's etc... could not advise on the difference. LG even got it wrong saying the 20 is 50hz and the 21 is 100hz. I'm awaiting their response to the spec on their website for the 20 with reference to this. If you compare this to a Plasma below £5000 the quality is far better and I've tested this thoroughly myself before buying, making a right pain of myself at Curry's. The only other rear pro TVs better than this is a Sony I saw in various shops, but you'd need to build and extension to house it - a ridiculous size.

Anyway, that's my view.

9. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    knarky,
    Have you actually got the tv at home, or just ordered it.
    Im very interested in hearing your opinion once you get it home and set up.

Do you play games at all?

10. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've only tested it instore. It's being delivered in a couple of weeks.

I am a bit of a gamer as it goes. I've got a PS2, but apparently you can hook a PC up to it as well.

I'll let you know how I get on.

As I said I gave it a really good test in the shop before I bought it and couldn't fault it for the price.

Cheers

Knarky

11. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool.
    Keep us posted regards how you get on.
    I'ld really like to know how fast moving games perform.

cheers

12. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yea will do, although I tested some high speed scenes on DVD and couldn't see the problem highlighted in the review when sitting a reasonable distance from the screen.

Cheers

13. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Knarky, could you tell us where you chose to order the 21 from?

14. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Of course. It was Currys. They're selling it with a DVD/5.1amp and surround speakers for £1999 (or the same without oddly enough), although the sub woofer is not active. They were also very helpful with the demo allowing me to pretty much do what I wanted. Normally I must admit that I try to buy from anywhere but the Dixons group.

As a result of the deal I've been able to sell a DVD player, AV amp and Mission surround speakers to off set some of the cost.

A lot of the so called cheaper online places didn't have it in stock or didn't get back to me to confirm and weren't as cheap as off setting the cost when you consider the deal overall.

Thought you might wish to know my reason for purchasing it from Curry's.

Also if there is a problem I've got a sales person I can shout at face to face.

Cheers

15. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sure, I'll buy a warranty direct from LG when it arrives.

17. chopper dave

chopper dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

My 21 has now been delivered. Picture quality is very good. i have not tried it yet with my PS2. I am a bit disappointed by the lack of some features such as adjustment of aspect ratio for programming that is not in widescreen format, scanning modes and strangely Teletext services. The lack of AV RGB input through me for a while untill I discovered that connecting my DVD via componant input is suppossedly a clearer picture.

I have noticed that therer appears to be some pixelation on very flat areas of colour.

On the whole though it is a much better picture than that provided by my panasonic TX47pt1 and would would say good value for the money. Aestetically it is also very nice as my wife pointed out.

Chopper dave

18. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you're happy Dave!
    Can you tell us the full connectivity of the tv?
    Also curious to see how you get on with your PS2

19. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad the aesthetic's are good, my wife has no idea how big the screen is etc... so her reaction should be interesting when it turns up.

20. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. I have to admit the LG looks better than the samsung 43 LCD rptv. All that nice black... I dont dig that 'plastic' silver that everything seems to use.

21. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try this tip Dave, might help with pixelation.

Note,however,that the sharpness level
    needs to be reduced from its default
    setting.Fail to do this and ‘ringing ’
    spoils those razor-sharp pictures.
    Reducing the sharpness also has a
    positive effect on pictures produced with
    the set ’s analogue tuner.There is less
    ‘fizz ’,especially on areas of bold colour.
    direct-view or rear-pro can offer.

22. ianfretwell

ianfretwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I also have one of these tv's (ordered from Dixons as a '20' but got a '21')...

chopper dave - the TV does support RGB scart on socket 1 - this is mentioned in the manual.

bongpig - the full connectivity is :

Rear
    2 x Component Inputs (supporting progressive formats)
    3 x Scart (1 RGB, 1 SVideo, 1 Composite)
    1 x Std Aeriel
    1 x Stereo Phono Output Pair
    1 x 9 pin D type upgrade port

Front
    1 x SVideo
    1 x Composite
    1 x Stereo Phono Input Pair

So far I've been quite impressed.

23. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine arrived yesterday.

When I first switched it on the picture was quite pixelated, but as the evening went on the quality improved - very odd like it was running itself in.

First impressions on gaming is that the picture quality isn't that good, but DVD and Sky no problems at all once warmed up - very impressive. The gaming issue maybe that I have to sort out settings on the PS2. Will let those interested know.

The TV is designed to be viewed straight on at eye level, but I found the picture quality looked better when looking down at the screen.

24. ianfretwell

ianfretwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Glad you like it Knarky.

Have you (or anybody for that matter) managed to get a Sky remote to control the TV ? (I've tried all the LG / Goldstar codes I can find with no success so far).

25. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't. I was going to look at that tonight, but if I don't have any luck I'll be in touch with LG directly to see if they can assist. and will post a note if successful

26. chopper dave

chopper dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian thanks for that. I too noticed that it improved quite a lot when i first turned it on. I also think that it takes a couple of minutes to 'warm' up to achieve best quality but as mentioned i am quite impressed.

One thing i have noted however is that the image does not seem to be centralised. does anyone have any idea how this can be adjusted??

Chopper dave

27. ianfretwell

ianfretwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you'd need to get into the service menu to alter something like that - anybody know how to do that ?

28. fredgee

fredgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Anyone got any further impressions of the Lg Re-44sz21rd ???

many thanks.

29. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

Said I'd get back about games quality.

Very good generally.

So far I've played:

Red Faction II - Excellent quality
    Need For Speed (Hot Pursuit) II - Excellent
    Colin McRae 3 - Generally good but some of the tracks were a bit poor and pixelated
    Splinter Cell - Reasonable through composite and good through composite into scart

Oddly I found that using the composite/scart connection much better than just plugging the composite directly into the sockets on the front. I've ordered a component connector and will let you lot know if it makes any further improvements.

DVD play back is excellent, but when watching TV using my Sky satellite some of the channels are really poor.

Cheers

Knarky

30. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info new owners. :)

Regards the warming up .... thats common with many electronic devices. Condensation can form when bringing kit in from the cold, causing noise and other unwanted effects. Once warmed up it would be fine.

Can you LG owners tell me how the set copes with very dark scenes? Is the detail still there?

cheers