1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG RE-44SZ21RD Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pat mc, Apr 27, 2005.

1. pat mc

pat mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a LG RE-44SZ21RD DLP rear projection TV from comet for £950.00 I first seen one in store 4 weeks ago but didn't have the money at the time. I went back to the local store last week and was told they were no longer stocking them,but another comet store 3 miles away had one in stock. I went there but it had apparently been sold by another branch whilst I was on my journey. They said that another store 10 miles away had one in stock (ex display) but I should buy it from them there and then, so it couldn't be sold whilst I was on my journey. They obviously knew I wanted the TV so only gave me £50 off for it being ex display. When I got the TV home I was deeply dissatisfied with it for the following reasons.
    1. Loud noise made by cooling fan.
    2. Faint vertical white tramlines appear down the centre of the picture.
    3. When the camera pans the image is very jerky
    (The above faults are all visible whilst playing DVDs)
    4. The image from my new Sony Freeview box is not consistent (bright colours are good but darks are dreadful.

I returned the TV to comet within a few days of purchase; they called me today telling me that there is nothing wrong with it at all. (They did not see the vertical white lines) and claim the fan noise is normal, they also could not comment about the jerky image when camera panning (I don’t think they tried it) their stock answer is that the TV is performing to manufacturers specification. I therefore cannot have a refund or have it repaired. for the few days I had the TV I did not have a remote control or instructions due to them being lost by the store.
    I would appreciate any comments that may help.

2. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Comet are well known for not wanting to give refunds or change things. I had a lot of trouble with my tv. they said nothing wrong. their engineer said nothing wrong and it wont be as good as a more expensive set. I asked if i had got a crap tv he said basically yes.
    Took about five trips to store. told them they told me tv was good but now they are telling me its rubbish. so either it is rubbish or broken either way i want different set eventually they changed it.
    Keep arhuing with them. go to store dont phone them they never return call

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    ....and threaten them with a call to Trading Standards. If that fails, write to their head office detailing your complaint, and the name of the "manager" you dealt with in the store. Insist on a full refund. Nothing else (no - not an exchange or repair).

4. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trading standards help a lot
    in 1st 6 months u can demand they prove no fault - ask them to provide an engineers report - like they do to us after 6 months :) this u can then use in court when u provide your own independant report to show they are a bunch of lying bastards

good luck

5. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    pat mc i have the same set as you and it aint noisey at all, also i cant relate to any of the symptons you describe, it does sound like a dodgy set youve got there :(

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    There are 4 LG threads complaining about the set, doesnt look good. I personally think we wil see loads more owners complaining now the set has been reduced to under a grand.

:)

Glad its not me.

7. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if my set costs me £600 to fix and LG will not do it F.O.C. then i will scrap it and buy a £600 tv 42" and learn my lesson never to buy LG products EVER again

anyone want to buy a LG fridge/freezer and a dvd surround sound system??

anyone

any takers

ok swaps accepted :)

8. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have had the LG since last June and the only issue has been the fan noise but i have got used to it now, at first though it drove me mad.
    The only other issue I have noticed is the oil painting effect on some pictures also. I have just had a month of arguing with Currys over mine as when bought they told me it could take a HD signal, they have now offered to exchange it and I have gone with the 46" Samsung. If Comet are unwilling to exchange or refund speak to trading standards over it they are very helpful. If Currys have changed mine after nearly 11 months of owning it then you have a strong case.
    Thanks Jon

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Lion My Hero :hiya: :clap:

I would like a dvd like that as I am into snorkelling/diving etc. Where did you get it from lion?

Lion have you clocked more than 60 hours yet on your LG as it hasnt broken down yet.

Nice purchase on the front pro, I really want one. I was round the my parents house at the weekend and I was messing around with his set up. Nice wasnt the word. :) 9 foot wide screen, now thats what I call a cinema in your home.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Cheers Lion for the link.

I bet you cant wait for your new toy :) Pleased for you mate. :smashin:

11. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well,

Like Lion my RE44 is still going, and also like Lion my nerves are now shot reading up on the "time-to-failure". Had it since last July. Just checked the lamp hours and this shows as 2296.

Any bets on making it to Chrimbo? :)

Jeez - it had better not fall-over, got no cash to replace it! :eek:

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

12. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Update on my LG 44" dlp...

I called Empire Direct a few weeks ago because I was concerned about the issues with my set...ages to come on sometimes, a few occassions of it coming on and the screen being a nice shade of blue, & the concave screen, and we wanted it looked at before the one-year warranty ran out.

The engineer for the company that come out (A&W Sound in Reading, I think) agreed that the set did indeed have these 3 faults, and they duly took it away to investigate/repair.

After 2 weeks or so they agreed that the set probaby required a new bulb to fix the issues with it coming on (but said that they couldn't do anything about the concave screen though) However they said that LG have told them that there are no bulbs available and it will take a month to get one!

We called Empire back and they agreed that this was unreasonable and offered a new Tosh' 46" dlp as a replacement. However I have declined this and decided to spend the extra money to get a Panny 42PV500CAB. Empire actually valued the LG at £1600 and I'm paying £695 extra to exchange it for the plasma.

So hats off to Empire for their excellent service, and goodbye to LG! :clap: