1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG PX11 - My experiment with connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DOCTOR_d, Apr 9, 2005.

1. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just spent the day testing my LG 42px11 with lots of different connections/cables etc, so I thought I would let some people know what seems to work best (for me).

Many thanks to everybody who has helped me come up with alternative methods and ideas :hiya:

MY SETUP

LG 42px11 (5.14 firmware)
    Playstation 2
    Panasonic E55 DVD
    SKY+
    PC running XP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Connection methods

Playstation 2 (Scart non RGB) > LG = Poor and with nasty pixels
    Playstation 2 (Scart RGB) > LG = Not amazing but ok
    Playstation 2 (Cheap £5 Component) > LG = Very nice, just slight imperfections on graphics.
    Playstation 2 (IXOS Component) > LG = Very nice, best output I’ve seen from a PS2

Panasonic E55 DVD (Component) > LG = Very nice picture, sharp and well defined.
    Panasonic E55 DVD (Scart non RGB) > LG = Everything looks a bit grainy
    Panasonic E55 DVD (Scart RGB) > LG = A very nice picture, you would need to see two LG’s running next to each other to tell the difference between this and component.

SKY+ (Scart non RGB) > LG = Beyond Poor, just don’t ever bother. Lots of shadows and the picture seemed grainy.
    SKY+ (RF lead) > LG = A lot better than Non RGB Scart, but I don’t know why?
    SKY+ (Scart RGB Cheap cable) > LG = Not a bad result, but slight shadowing on graphics.
    SKY+ (Scart RGB Good quality cable) > LG = The best result I’ve had.
    SKY+ (Scart RGB Very expensive cable) > LG = No difference for the extra price.
    SKY+ (S-Video) > LG = Slightly stronger colours compared to a good RGB Scart, but can be toned down with the menu.

PC (VGA CABLE) > LG = Great quality, but seems to suffer from a slight blur. I would imagine you could get a better output if the settings where tweaked.
    PC (DVI) > LG = Wow, the best picture I’ve seen on the LG.
    PC (DVI +Dscaler) = Only just started experimenting with this software and tried with SKY+ as an input. The quality of picture was far superior to any other SKY+ method.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My final setup is as follows –

SKY+ > Panasonic E55 using a Profigold scart on RGB (no different to S-VIDEO)
    Panasonic E55 > LG using a Profigold scart on RGB
    Playstation 2 IXOS Component lead > LG
    PC > using a DVI cable LG

SKY+

Picture output set to RGB
    Contrast set to high
    Scart lead connected to bottom socket
    Optical out to AMP

Panasonic E55 DVD

Picture Comb filter = off
    Hybrid vbr auto
    Still mode auto

Connection = Tv
    Aspect ration = 16.9
    Progressive = on (although greyed out?)
    AV1 output = RGB
    Av2 input = RGB
    Av2 connection = decoder
    SKY+ scart connected to AV2
    LG scart connected to AV1
    Optical out to AMP

LG 42px11

Scart from E55 connected to AV1
    PS2 connected to component
    DVI straight from PC

Contrast 61
    brightness 59
    colour 33
    sharpness 75
    fleshtone 2
    csm user:
    red -8
    green -1
    blue -2

If anybody has any ideas on how to improve things, please let me know…. :lease:

2. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hey doctor, great write up, i really do recomend u reduce ur sharpness as ur makin the panel try and add detail that isnt there, iv just upped mine thou to 41 after running thx optimizer on star wars attack of clones, try it if u have a starwars disk around

3. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    "progressive = on (although greyed out?)"

is this not because you are using RGB Scart? surely you need to be using component for progressive scan???

4. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oops, Yup your right.....

The odd thing is, with the e55 it don't make any improvements when using the component lead..... :confused:

5. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    DOCTOR-d - I have to agree with you on the good quality scart lead for Sky. I've got a Tech + Link scart cable linking my Sky to my RGB port and the picture on Sky is awsome, better than any other plasmas I've seen ( and I looked at most before I bought the LG ).

I'm not saying the LG-PX11 is better than other plasmas for DVD but on Sky pictures it far surpasses any other plasma I've seen.