1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG PX11 JUMPS 2000 units in contrast???

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by hornydragon, Jan 14, 2005.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Right guys dont want to rain on anyones parade but there is one LG PX11 it has a contrast of 3000:1 or 5000:1 depending on how you measure it, it is not a new panel. there are not different versions there is one the PX11

I dont think i have ever seen the words of the corporate marketing machine so quickly swallowed wholey without even a gestur of sceptisism...........

:lesson:

PS how many people actually demoed the plasma before they ordered???

2. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well how come my new screen is so much better and how come LG have now updated their website with the new 5000 contrast spec?
    I find it hard to believe that it is just the way they test them that has changed

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    trust me if it was a new unit they would change model number......... they would have too....How is it better? how old was old one? what happened to old one?

4. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    old one was about 1 month old and was returned as skin tones looked like waxworks, there was also significant banding in sky shots. The new screen shows none of this
    As said on the other thread it doesnt really matter anyway. The screen i now have has great picture quality an dat the end of the day that is all that matters

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    sound slike you had a faulty one (hence a working one will look better) this is an old trick and has been done a few times before by manufacturers

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you look at the spec sheets, then there is a difference in peak brightness between modules used... but the max contrast is the same.

Looks like there may be some minor changes to the module (or the way they drive it), but the main change to the contrast ratio does seem to be in the way it is measured (note the very explicit use of "1% white window" now - circumstantial evidence in the spec sheets would suggest that previous tests were done with a "4% white window").

Beside that though, there is one other difference between panels - they actually allow for one more cell defect on the new parts...

7. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone else publish how they obtain their contrast measurements? Either LG are being very risky in changing their numbers mid-model, or they have discovered that other companies are using the contrast measurement they now are, and they're trying to level the playing field.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's one of the parameters that you can easily lie about, because there is no defined way of measuring it. Some are measured in a 100% dark room, some are not. Some are measured 1 foot from the screen, some 3 feet.

To be honest, there are a lot of things that I look at in plasma specs, but contrast ratio isn't one of them, because it's pretty meaningless.

9. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion (formed it has to be said by simply reading the long LG thread) is that the panel itself is unchanged, we know that LG admit that the new contrast/brightness figures just come from a different calbculation method, but the out of the box PQ may have been improved by software/firmware changes.

I myself will be buying the LG over the Panny 6/7 for the following reasons:

1) It is HD ready (although at SD resolution)
    2) It has speakers (don't want to always have to switch the amp on)
    3) It is cheaper (much much cheaper when you consider connectivity)
    4) I believe its PQ to be "good enough" for me, I want a plasma but want to spend as little as possible to get a good panel, so will not even be demoing the Panasonic 6/7, even though I know they are probably better screens.

However your sage advice is valued highly by me Hornydragon, its just that on this occasion I will be ignoring it!

10. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that with manufacturer's electronic equipment a vender can and does change components/specification without revising the model number. This can be due to a number of things including change of supplier/hardware defect./firmware/software etc..

That LG have not been quick to draw peoples attention to it (if indeed they have made any significant change) could be due to a minor defect they have rectified which would be costly to put right if they did it across the board. Most people who have bought the PX11 since it has been in production appear to be perfectly happy with it. The fact that it has proved so popular is a testimony to that. LG are probably taking the tac that if a person dosn't think their panel is broke then why fix it.

I liked the display when I first saw them a couple of month's ago and that was probably on an older model. Being the pround owner of a nice new shiney (FW 5.10) display :D I can only say that I have no regrets.

Not sure if there will ever be a definative answer to this one. Bottom line, dont care. For the money its a good Telly :thumbsup: