1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by poly, Dec 21, 2002.

1. poly

poly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could any one tell me what the 42" LG PLASMA is like only i have just ordered one from Currys that is not arriving for five weeks. So I was wondering if it was worth taking out the extended five year warrenty for £1200. Or is this product so bloody reliable I don't have to worry??

2. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi poly, had my lg z 14 for 2 weeks now iwas also offerd ex warranty decided not to as premium is to expensive, as you already get 1 year manu warranty any skeltons in closet would usally show up in this time, the first 1000 hrs is supposed to be regarded as the running in period of plasma monitors, so if any problems were to arise it would show up, (hypertheaticaly speaking,) but if its for your own piece of mind take the warranty out , but it wasnt for me if it does go wrong you would be able to buy a newer model monitor for not much more hope this sheds some light?

3. poly

poly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info
    I'll kick the warranty firmly into touch!
    I,m still toying with the idea of waiting for the PZ17 to come out but I have not managed to contact Currys yet to see if they are intending to stock it in the not to distant.
    I've also got a number for LG to see if they can give me an idea, but thats going to have to wait till monday.
    Hows yours anyway the look of the one I've seen in Richer Sounds seems far superior to the Samsung astheticly and picture quality, did you get a stand and everything with yours?

4. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi again, yes i got stand speakers & tuner , not using supplied speakers as im using my onkyo amp & mission speakers, recevied new philips proggesive scan dvd player yesterday pic quality is superb i cannot recomend this player enough it really is that good this is my fifth player in 18 months and the last, as this hobby is becoming very exspensive sky broadcasts seem to differ alot some good some bad not the displays fault though.

5. poly

poly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi di ho
    sounds cool,
    is the stand for floor or shelf?
    I've gone for Tag processor with the ATC active speakers and Rell subs.... Blows the windows out!
    Do you think I should bother to worry about having the latest spec LG pz 17. Sounds like you are pleased with the picture on yours

6. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi there, if you wait for newer models coming out all the time we would not buy anything, i can not see there being much differance in these models just like the panny 4&5 series apart from the z 17 their is also z 22 & z 24 models to come out its just a question of how long you want to hang around? i am using pedastal stand and glass and chrome av rack which i had made to house av gear fom a factory which makes these up here in the north east called custom design

7. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poly,

The PZ17 is already out . . . Richer Sounds are selling it for £2495 on their website and in-store. Slightly improved contrast and brightness over the PZ14 . . .

Monty.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is going to be a bit of a rant so please bear with me.

I bought Samsung Plasma at the beginning of this month from RS and have been very happy with it. However at the beginning of last week the screen began to cut out as if going into stand by mode (But not).

There were no other problems with the screen and I was more than happy with the quality and performance of the set.

I rang up RS and they put me through to Stelgis their suppliers. I spoke to a very helpful engineer who explained the set had a faulty "Wire Driver" no idea what this but apparently it regulates power to the screen and needed to be replaced.

No problem the new screen was with me by the end of the week (Thursday - great service) and I installed it on Saturday. However all was not well with the replacement screen. Although it did not cut out the picture quality of the replacement was nothing like the original, the biggest problem being a very irritating "Flicker effect" with faint bands phasing down the screen (particularly evident on solid colours and at the edge of the screen)

I again spoke to RS and Stelgis and the same engineer confirmed that he believed this set to be DOA also (A loose connection inside he felt was the cause of the picture distortion).

I got talking to him and told him I was thinking of getting a different screen. Something costing even £2000 has to be two strikes and you are out surely ?

I said I was thinking of the New LG at £2500 or maybe even £2999 for the latest Toshiba. This is proposed to be the same screen basically as the new Panny and most people on this forum and in fact everywhere agree that this is the best set available but at a price.

Now I must say he seemed like a nice chap and I definitely trust what he was saying. He services and repairs these things at one of the biggest distributors in the country and he obviously knows his stuff. He said that in 4 months he had only had back 4 Samsung sets (including what will soon be two from me). This out of over 1000 that has gone through their company in this period (So he says).

He said that personally he though it was a good set picture and build quality wise especially for the money. I asked him what he thought about the Tosh and the LG. He said the Tosh is a great set but only comes with a one-year warranty. (Although I would get two-year extension for £250 from RS as I have with the Sammy).

He reckons that these sets are not that serviceable - anything goes wrong with the screen panel itself and it is for the bin.

I was really keen on the new LG model. I was not impressed with their old models having compared them with the Sammy in a number of locations (AMC cinemas / Curries etc).

However their new set seems to have good write ups, Decent Contrast of apparently 1000 on the consumer model (Brightness 750) and is proposed to be the best budget model available at the moment.

Shock. He refused to be drawn to comment much on the new LG. He said he has been "Exceptionally disappointed" with both the build and picture quality of the LG panels including the new screen.

His closing comment was "I can’t really discuss it but put it this way I would rather have a CRT set than an LG".

Oh dear. Now I know a few people on this board have these sets so for god’s sake get you opinions down quick. I am going down to RS at lunch with my mate who has a 42" Panny armed with a load of Dvds to demo this set properly in their viewing room (I always judge for myself whatever people say).

LG owners input is must appreciated as I thought this set would be an option or should I just blow the budget and get the Tosh? I thought I knew my stuff (to an extent) but have a crisis of confidence now having talked to this guy !

9. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If it helps, I got 5yrs for £925 from Comet on the LG14. It's a lot of money but for peace of mind for 1,825 days, that's nearly 44,000 thousand hours, I have just about convinced myself it's worth it. Comet are delivering just 1 week after buying (ie next Sunday).

I hope we don't regret getting one of these.

10. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of these extended warranties are so expensive . . .wouldn't it be worth simply naming the panel on your house insurance to cover accidental damage etc, and using the £1000 or so to upgrade to a better screen ? Just a suggestion . . .

Failing that, I'd certainly recommend people check with retailers such as John Lewis or Richer Sounds, who seem to offer much more reasonable warranty deals.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    RS offer two year warranty extension to Plasma warranty for £250. This is FULLY REFUNDABLE if not used.

LG and Sammy come with 2 year on site warranty if registered with Manufacturer.

Therefore 4 year warrnty on these sets from RS for £250 extra and you get you money back if it is not used. Surely this is a great deal. John Lewis no longer price match Plasma sets so the RS warranty package is now by far the best deal out there in my opinion more so taking in to account there competetive pricess on screens.

My set is covered / will be covered on my Zurich Home Poilcy at NO EXTRA COST. They cover electrical items up to £3000 on my policy unspecified.

12. j_smit

j_smit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as an aside it should be noted that the engineer from Steljes would naturally put the LG down and priase the Samsung and Toshiba as Steljes don't distribute the LG screens but, funnily enough, do distribute the Samsung and Toash ones.

Hope that makes a few people fell better about their LG purchases.

PS - Not much point waiting for the 17 model.

13. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are probably right there. But I only have to watch my LG to feel good about my LG purchase. I am more than happy with it :D

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I thought that might be the case but how do you know they dont distribute them ? Anyway I hope you are right as I will be arranging the exchange tommorow for an LG 17.

Read smal difference between 14 and 17 ?

I have viewed both these screens very carefully both when I viewed the Samsung before buying and when deciding if to change to the LG 17 or Tosh. I thought there was a significant difference in picture quality between the 14 - 17 this is also evident in the specs.

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Cant find the manual for the 17 on the net but found the one for the 14. A bit worrying they dont give any guidlines on how long still images have to stay on screen until you get burn (States 2 hours or more in the Samsung manual) Also no PIP. Functions of the set seem very basic bearing in mind it is £500.

Anyone had any problems with screen burn from this set ?

16. j_smit

j_smit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re: how do I know Steljes don't distribute the LG screens.

I had a sneeky look at their website before making my post as I am a very skeptical type person and thought that if he "refused to comment and then said they were really bad blah blah blah" that he didn't have any allegence.

Check their site out for yourself. Funnily enough they do do both the screens that he praised.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Very clever I like it. The force is strong with you j_smit....

As I have said before I never go soley of what other people say. I want to check things out for myself and did so with the LG screen and it looks good. I will be sorting out my exchange tommorow.

18. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harrisuk did you get my email

19. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks you thank you thank you. Big beaming :D

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes thanks. I have replied as well. Looks great. They are holding an LG for me at my local branch but I will go back and have another look at the tosh. I dont fancy having to transport these things myself to be honest anyway I will probably wait until monday when the the guy is back wwho handles RS mail order exchanges anyway.