1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Plasma vs Samsung LCD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mindvox, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again folks,

My Mum today took delivery of her Samsung 32" LCD (the one in the Samsung adverts doing the rounds in the UK right now, where the neighbour signs for the TV, etc lol).

Anyway, I set it up and plugged the DVD player, digital box, etc into it and fired it up. With the DVD player calibrated properly and the Sky box set to 16:9 and RGB and proceeded to fire up a DVD (Batman Begins).

Now, I don't want to sound like some Plasma fanboy, but this is the Samsung my mate owns (who hates Plasma and hit me with all the myths when he heard I'd bought one), only in 40", and I have to say I'm not impressed with the LCD Samsung. On fast moving scenes there is visible "blur" around the edges compared to my Plasma, and the colours (even when put on Movie mode or into User settings) look nowhere near as lifelike as on Plasma.

I turned on SkyOne on the digital box, and Stargate SG-1 was playing. It looked almost MPEG quality, and I was sitting there in a bit of shock. I ran into the room and fired up my Plasma with SkyOne and while the picture was definitely poor NTSC television programme quality, the Plasma still looked crisper, sharper, and just better quality than the LCD.

My Mum is more than happy with the picture, but to someone like myself who's been into home cinema for a good few years now, the difference IS apparant.

In a final test, I fired up Tekken 5 on PS2 on the Samsung LCD and again while impressive, it simply didn't have the fluid movement, clarity, and sharpness of the LG Plasma I own.

Suffice to say, I am one very happy Plasma owner today! :smashin: