1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Plasma Service - My Rights??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tgl, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I have an LG plasma RZ42PX11 which I purchased from Comet, and now that it needs servicing/repairing I am informed by LG that since Comet were selling their plasma's below the recommended retail price, servicing must be done via Comet's own technicians. My question is: "as my screen came with a "Manufacturers" warranty, don't I have the legal right to have a better qualified LG engineer than a generic engineer from Comet?"

My opinion on this is that it's not my problem that Comet sell LG screens below the RRP, and I should have been informed of this situation upon purchasing the screen.

Anyway, any help/advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

tgl
    :lease:

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Trust me comets (so called) engineers probably wouldnt have a clue how to fix your plasma anyway. So they would probably seek advise from LG or just replace it.

I'll never forget when they sent one round to my house, he asked ME what DVI stands for because he didnt know himself lol.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You hear a new one every week from these guys, and every time it comes up some LG owner crops up to say I'm a b*****d for pointing it out. I would not get hung up on who fixes the screen, most likely they will replace it or credit you, the PX11 is out of production. One other member had his replaced, comet told him they could no longer get the parts.

4. Teccy Toker

Teccy Toker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Comets engineers need help from LG's engineers....god help them !

Last time my px11 went for repair, LG sent their own engineer...and the set came back with an even worse piccy (but was within 'manufacturers specifications').

I now have my independent report witnessing interference pattern on all analogue inputs....so now I'm hitting the retailer for a full refund.
    TT

5. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should you not contact Comet first to find out what the procedure is, before
    throwing a wobbly.

One should only complain here AFTER they feel dudded or ripped off.! :lesson:

6. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, that's exactly what I feel. I have worked with Comet so called "Engineers" before, and they are frankly useless. I am peeved, because as far as I'm concerned I have an LG Manufacturers warranty, which I don't appear to be allowed to exercise.

Well that was yesterday. Today, the Comet engineer came and noted the problem, and spoke to LG direct, because his own head-office technical team couldn't help. I then mentioned that a firmware upgrade might do the trick (See other postings on this forum), and the engineer just looked at me and said, and I quote, "what is firmware". Calling LG again he got his answer, and yes I will get a firmware upgrade, but he was told by LG that the upgrade is unlikely to help the picture quality (which I call sub-standard for the cost of the Plasma).

The engineer (and I use the term lightly) then went on to say that if the firmware doesn't help, then it's just down to "the quality of current digital technology". I was half expecting the words "This is within manufacturers limits" to sprout from his mouth. Now I used to have an Hitachi screen, so I know for a fact this is not true.

Anyway, may this be a lesson to anyone reading this thread. If you buy a plasma (any brand) that is below the recommended retail price, make sure you find out where your warranty service is coming from.

I for one wont be shopping at Comet again. :mad:

7. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dont listen to this RRP stuff.

If i am not mistaken, arent RRP's an excuse for price fixing, therefore they were not allowed (only to be replaced by something similar, called something else).

A warranty is a warranty, at any price. You werent informed by comet that there is no warranty, and if it says there IS a warranty in the box or on the box, then you have the rights to one, get comet to sort it out, or do them for trades descriptions.

The only way you cant win is if they come out and say "there is nothing wrong with it"...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't get that bit either. Folks beat me down on price, and AFAIK the manufacturers have no say in this, it's my business not theirs. Even if I sold a plasma for £50, it would still be warrantied, even if I went bankrupt because of it. It's a ridiculous statement.

9. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This forum has appeared to work its magic. I let the Comet engineer know about this forum based on the other posts on firmware and picture quality improvements.

Anyway, he called a few minutes back and mentioned he had just looked at this forum (and possibly this posting), because he said he didn't want to muck me about and offered me a replacement plasma. Not only that, my model is no longer on offer at Comet, so they will get me the latest one.

That's what I call a result. :clap:

The quote: "Every cloud has a silver lining". springs to mind.

:thumbsup:

Thanks to all for your previous posts and input!

10. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The other way that always work with this kind of people is to say that you will speak with your attorney about what to do next-it works always even if you don't have one:)

11. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every adversity brings forth a seed of mutual benefit. :clap:

New for Old - New for Old - New for Old.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Comet not such bad people then, excellent. Poor performance from any 1 shop tends to rub off on all, good to see them do the right thing. Lets hope the new one is a good one. Maybe you will get a choice, try asking if you could put in a few hundred for HD ready, Colin and Stainway are pleased with theirs.