1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Plasma Picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GeordieUser, Dec 22, 2004.

1. GeordieUser

GeordieUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I have just purchased a LG RZ42PX11 PDP. I am new to all this AV stuff however I am an electronics technician in telecommunications by trade so I can learn quickly. I purchased the PDP because it was cheap, however I am dissapointed with the picture, especially on facial close-ups or while watching football. My main input is from a SKY Digibox PACE 2300 1999 model, via a SCART connection. I have heard all about Video Scaling but does the equipment really justify thier cost. I work with Americans so I could purchase one at approx 1/2 price compared to the UK, but this would still cost arround £600. That is nearly the price I paid for the PDP. So my burning question is are they worth the money and do they really work. Are there manafacturers out there that would let you try before you by (or at least return the item if not satisfied)

Regards

GeordieUser

2. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LG plasmas are indeed rubbish. There are many people out there that are not able to tell a good plasma apart from a bad one.

3. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a Lumagen Scaler installed and it Does make a difference. Admittedly I started with a better Panel, a Pioneer 50MXE-1, but it still made a distinct improvement

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Geordie, have a chat with Joe at TMF (www.tmfsolutions.co.uk) who is a Lumagen dealer. You may be able to arrange a demo or home trial of a Lumagen scaler. I think you would be impressed at the difference it could make to your plasma.

Steve

5. GeordieUser

GeordieUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,
    Thanks for the replies. At present I am in the British Forces serving in Belgium. I am due back to the UK in April. I was hoping that I would recieve some info to see if were possible for home demonstations, and thank you Dutch you have informed me that this may be possible. When I return to the UK I will enquire.
    PS. the reason I purchased this PDP was I am entitled to tax free. They were also doing a Xmas special and in total I only paid £936. I believe this is as cheap as any PDP I have seen on the market.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Geordie it's cheap and it's cheerful bit like the price. You can get them for £1350 in the UK now which for it's performance is becoming more realistic over here, but you got it at a great price obviously.

You've picked out one of it's faults in the picture that can be as long as your arm really (comparative to other screens). With a bit of perseverance you can get the pic better and it has been said that after a period of time the image somehow miraculously improves.

If the lumagen doesn't do the trick for you, it's always a bit of kit worth having I suppose but as you say it's at a cost not a million miles off what you paid for the PDP !

Tough call but best of luck anyway whichever way you go !

7. GeordieUser

GeordieUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star
    Its funny you mentioned the picture improving over time. I have had the Display for 30 days now and initially I used the factory 'DYNAMIC' setting. The picture quality was so poor on facial close ups that I changed to user options to achieve a more usable picture setting. Yesterday I went back to the factory setting and the quality seems to have increased a great deal. Two thoughts on this one, firstly my eyes have become accustomed to the picture format on a large screen (seems to be the most obvious solution), however as I stated earlier I am an electronics Technician in Telecomunications, and although this goes against all my training I have dealt with new communications links which cause nothing but trouble. After fault finding over periods of days, even weeks, the circuit drops in. Many occasions no changes were made to the circuitary. Some MOD boffin once told me there is nothing stranger than electronics. They can sometimes do what they want, not what you expect.
    Regards.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Handling of Flesh/skin tones, solarisation ,to my eyes it was extremely poor. Having seen well run in ones as well, personally it doesn't cut the mustard for me. But then at the price what do you expect, bargain or make do ?

Interesting one about the components inside. I for one would be alarmed that after 30 days something happens inside for it to improve that dramatically. It's the only PDP that I can think of that needs to *maybe* run in like this ? In this day and age of tolerance of components I would guess that should be pretty consistent.

Your the expert on this one ? You tell me please !

9. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm surprised nobody has asked Grahame Triggs for an opinion on this. I'm sure he'd have one :D

10. GeordieUser

GeordieUser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree, you get what you pay for. This PDP will last for a couple of years and by then hopefully the technology will increase 'AND PRICES DROP'. I have see the new DLP on display while working in the USA. The image was crystal clear, saying that the picture on the LG displayed in the shop looked pretty good. As for the component 'Bedding-In', I dont belive that any modern day components telorance drifts greatly. Manafacturers still give a 5-10% variation but this is more like 1-2% in reality.
    Getting back to the picture, yes it has improved. Why, I have no idea. However the fact is that when I return to the UK I will still give Joe at TMF a call and see if things can still be improved. While I am here does anyone know if the output from my SKY Digibox (PACE BSKYB 2300, 1998 model) is fully RGB output via SCART or is it only composite output via SCART. I am guessing it is the latter.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    happyH please don't go there ! :D God forbid :eek:

GeordieUser you've done alright there for under a grand :thumbsup: I agree with you about tolerance drifts, if it's as much as that difference in the picture, then I guess it is what you are paying for the gubbins inside. Very strange phenomena indeed ?

At that sort of money and comparatively speaking with other plasma's you can view it as disposable product within 2-3years I guess. Just shows you what a disposable society we have become !