LG Plasma issues - consumer advise

hemark

Standard Member
I am hoping that someone can advise what my next course of action might be? I understand that manufacturer's have a duty to look outside of the warranty period - perhaps up to 5 years? if the item is faulty and not due to mistreatment.
I bought 5 LG Plasma's in Feb 2008 as part of my house referbishment and the requirement for some tv's at work. My main unit I bought for the house was the 42PT85 set as this was in the guest bedroom, and I wanted a set that had freeview as well as a hard disk to record programs. The first thing I noticed with the LG sets was that you could not actually turn them off at the set? I rang LG after about 3 months (having looked through the manuals) asking if I had missed something. They confirmed that you could not turn off at the set. On the PT85 this was because it needs to be able to download software updates from time to time. The set was used from time to time (Aprx 20) hours when we had visitors. One day I noticed that the standby light had gone out. I could not get the set to come on either with the remote or set. I did notice at the back I could see red diodes through the mesh so new it must be getting power. The set was now about 16 months old so I was disapointed but as I had purchased 5 year extended warranties via the retailer thought I would ring them and sort it out. I tried several times over the weeks however when I eventually searched the internet I saw bloggs ref the retailer going into receivership. - Great!!! I rang LG several times trying to see if they would be willing to do anything as goodwill ( 5 sets and me raising the issue of leaving the set powered on). They refused and refered me to a company called Staffords in Liverpool. I eventually called them and they sent an engineer out to inspect the TV and said it needed a power Supply module.(call out fee charged) The estimate came through for aprx £110.00. This added to the call out charge meant it was going to cost around £180.00 so I left it to decide if it was worth spending this ammount to repair rather than buying a new set, but having spent around £700.00 originally it seems such a waste to put it in the bin!!

Any way I said go ahead a few weeks ago and they were due out on the 3rd December to fit. As I was getting late in the day (no engineer) I rang at about 4pm, to be told - sorry someone should have rung you but he was in Hospital. Although I had cancled a trip to London to be in I gave them the benefit of doubt and well as sympathy for the engineer. It was re arranged for the 11th. The engineer arrived but he feels the power supply is fine but there is a fault in the PCB board which is draining the power and it will be arround £200.00 for the board. I am awaiting the quote to come through as well as a refund on the Power Supply unit.

Obviously you can tell that I feel disapointed that the set with so little use failed in the first place, and threads I have read on the same set in the forum suggests that this set is prone to faults!! I am hoping that someone may understand my legal rights regarding "it being fit for purpose"

I am hoping that there is a way forward.:lease:

Sorry for the long thread but I hope it explains everthing.

hemark

Standard Member
As I have not had any comments ref my questions, could any one suggest where I might pick up a second hand PCB board to repair the set as spending £250 on top of what I have already spent does not make sense as I could buy a new set for this spend.
Alternativley does any body want the set rather than me taking to the tip? The TV has only been used for aprx 20 hours.

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
This might Help; Here :)

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Try typing the model number & "mainbaord" into google, it bought quite a few suppliers when I tried it. Also try ebay, good luck :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom