1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG plasma connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bobones, Jan 30, 2003.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I see www.qed-uk.com have the MZ-42PZ14 with speakers, desktop stand and tuner box available again for £2575. A fantastic price for this whole package.

Can anyone tell me the audio and video inputs and outputs that are available on the PZ14 with tuner box and the PZ17 from Richer Sounds? I really don't want to do audio switching from my a/v amp and I'd rather get everything (except digital from dvd) from fixed audio outputs at the screen.

Has anyone directly compared the PZ14 with the PZ17? Is the latter worth the extra connection hassle and cost? (av-sales.com have the stand for £183 and screen for £2570 - same as richersounds).

Is the standard warranty on the PZ17 2 years from Richer sounds and only 1 elsewhere?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm still swithering on a 36" CRT, one of these cheaper LG packages, or a Pio 433. :rolleyes:

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am in the process of exchanging my second faulty Samsung set with RS for the LG 17. Firstly I would like to say how helpul they have been (so far !) taking back the faulty sets without arguing and have gone out of their way to do everying possible to keep me happy. Highly recommended.

In answer to your questions :

(1) Not sure about the connectionson the LG 14 tunner. I am sure I have seen mentioned : rgb scart, component, composite and svideo but dont hold me to it, I am sure someone in the know will comment.

(2) I viewed LG 14 & Samsung carefully originally and opted for the Samsung. I still maintain and believe it has better quality picture. Its specs are also clearly superior. I also carefully viewed the LG 17 and Tosh when deciding which to change to. LG 17 not as good as Tosh but didnt seem enough diffference to justify the extra £500. The LG 17 has almost double the contrast ratio at 1000 over the 14 and superior brightness (About 20% more I think) Picture looked much sharper darks were better little solarisation. I personally thought the 14 looked a little washed out and lacking in detail even with quality input (Ice age DVD). Again I am not the most knowledgable just my opinion.

(3) LG 17 is £2499 at RS with two years on site warranty from LG (If registered with them one otherwise) Two year extended warranty from RS £250 and fully refundable if unused. Bargain and a must purchase surely on an expensive set. Will also need RGB to component converter to get best quality. JS model £140 and meant to be mustard, I have found one from scan does not do audio but shouldnt need it if you have a descent amp for £80 delivered. I am sure RS would throw in a descent composite cable if you asked. So you would be looking at around £2769 for the LG 17 from RS all in ready to go and another £250 if you wanted the 4 year warranty. Sorry for the extra £194 I would definately go for the newer model I think most would agree.

Finally I know two people who have the 36" Tosh CRT. I personally think this is the finest CRT set I have ever seen. I think you can get them from about £1400 (QED in fact). I was in a similar situation and If I was going down the CRT route this is what I would have got. But I had a good 32" CRT set and the 36" just did not seem that must bigger. This is also why I never considered the Panny 37" although well in my price range. Plus they are an absolute beast enourmous taking up a huge amount of space.

I personally wont be getting another CRT set. Flat panels for me from here on out I dont think I can go back having had a Plasma in the house.