lg plasma advice ?

roofer

Established Member
Reaction score
looking at getting in to the plasma scene been looking at the lg 42 incher at comet, looks mint , but bit concerned about contrast ratio 500:1 panasonic 3000:1 is it that important? would be grateful for advice.

Hi

I am also interested in the LG model. I went and had a look at it in Richer Sounds and compared it to the Samsung model selling at a cheaper price.

According to the spec the contrast ratio is better on the Samsung. Hoever when I viewed them in comparison the LG seemed better. The Samsung picture was a bit grainy no matter how much I changed the settings.

I think contrast ratio figure is similiar to Watts on a Hifi speaker. Nominal watts maybe 10 and peak maybe 4000 doesnt mean its better then a speaker that has a lower peak and higher nominal.....

I am no expert but just my humble opinion....

Good Luck....

You need to be careful in taking on face value, manufacturers contrast ratio figures. There is no set standard for measuring it so your not necessarily comparing like for like. I doubt whether the Panansonic does achieve a 3000:1 contrast ratio, however there's no doubt its bloody good and thats all you need to worry about. Let your eyes decide not the facts and figures sheets. If you like the picture go for it. As a bit of advice see how the screen performs with low lit material, Seven or The Matrix for example. This is where the contrast ratio will really be exposed, poor colour rendition and detail retrival will indicate a below par contrast, also picture grain may be more noticable. Hope this helps

I stand corrected..... the pixel res is the same however the contrast ratio is different with both the Samsung and LG.

But even though the Samsung has a 'better' contrast ratio I found the LG slightly better. This might be explained by the different contrast ratio standards....

Hope to demo Matrix today on both screens....

cheers for your opinions,will be going back for another viewing soon,will also take the matrix with me to dem, to be honest will buy it if wife also likes it, for 3k seems good value to me .even though q.e.d are doing it for £2600

Originally posted by roofer
cheers for your opinions,will be going back for another viewing soon,will also take the matrix with me to dem, to be honest will buy it if wife also likes it, for 3k seems good value to me .even though q.e.d are doing it for £2600

Have you checked the Richer Sounds prices on plasmas?

Could be some serious cash saved...
They've got the Panny TH42PW5B listed for £3300. Every review I've read rates the Panny 42" plasmas as being the one to beat in the price bracket.

Same model listed on Empiredirect for £3353.

Richer sounds were doing the LG for £2500 but it doesn't include the speakers or the AV connection box that you get with the comet deal.

Granted, most people don't use the speakers but you will need the av box for connecting in a scart. I think its about £400 on its own.

It also comes with a stand which you might have to pay extra for with other models, however comet aren't including the wall mounting brackets in their price.

I'm tempted by the comet deal as they're doing a 24month credit option.

The only thing that puts me off is a poor review I read once in one of the magazines about it. It said that it lacked detail.

Is there anyone out there who can comment on its picture quality ?

d field2000, i like yourself was concerned about reviews on this display, in the end went to several shops which i viewed sky & dvd and thougt the picture was superb with both i like youself read to maney reviews, its just like jeremy clarkson slags off the vauxhall vectra/ if the car is so bad why is there so many of them on the road. go and have a look for your self?

roofer - of course you right. I know you should be skeptical about the reviews in the magazines - I'd much prefer to hear the opinions of 'real' people on this forum.

I'm a bit confused now about which model is which. I couldn't see any model number on the LG screen in Comet and it wasn't even mentioned in the promotional brochure thingy the salesman gave me. After searching through the forum people seem to refer to it as the LG 42 inch plasma, so I've presumed that this is the first and only release of a 42 plasma by LG. However, I've spotted a few threads that mention a LG-MZ42PZ10 and a LG-42PZ14. Can anyone shed any light on this ?

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom