Lg plasma ( 14 or 17 solved )

poly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just had an interesting couple of weeks trying to order the LG 42" plasma. I have kept reading the stuff about the 17 having improved brightness and contrast over the 14, so I made it my mission to order a 17.
After an extensive investigation and asking LG technical and Barron Mccan, (LG's service suport company), it turnes out there is no difference at all.
I have been assured and re assured that the only difference between the two is that the 14 comes with the tuner box, speakers etc and the 17 is just the basic pannel, the plasma specs are exactly the same.
If anyone wishes to put there minds at rest ring Barron Mccan and ask, the number is 0870 872 1228, happy viewing!!

Barron McCann told me the exact same thing, and when pressed, LG admitted the same as I was highly doubtful.

I guess it depends on whether you consider the speakers, tuner box and desk top stand worth £500 where you get your deal from. Remember while you may not need/want the speakers, the tuner box is handy (for me, at least!), and the desktop stand was a necessity for me - and it retails at £300 alone!

Of course, if you can get onboard a QED deal, then for £120 you get the bundle which has to be considered some sort of bargain, for sure?

Hi,
I've ordered mine from Currys on the old interest free, I decided as you did to go for the whole package, I'm thinking of the resale value etc as well. Even though I have no intensions of using the speakers I sure someone I'm selling it to in the future might.

Considering the technology and the expected uplift in popularity, I don't think you should purchase a plasma with resale value in mind.

Certainly within a year, I don't envisage plasma prices to be anywhere near that of the moment; I think this year and next will bring plasma into the main consumer market big time. If you've been pondering plasma for some time (as I had) you will have noticed how prices have dropped (in some cases considerably) over the last 12 months.

Granted, IFC is handy - I myself took up an offer of this kind through Powerhouse, amd similarily I have the speakers packed away nicely in the box they came in! Certainly on the LG, when the installation guys installed the panel and attached the speakers I considered it pretty ugly and very, very oversized; removal of the speakers and I now love it to bits! :clap:

Many thanks for this thread.
I'm now even happier with my 14 (and the IFC).
Watching 24 was fabulous on the widescreen.

Hold on a minnit!:blush:

Isn't the 17 £300-400 more expensive than the 14?
How does that work if the 17 is just the screen, and the 14 includes the tuner?
Shouldn't the 14 be more expensive?
:confused:

The 14 and 17 are different internally. It is true that the 17 has a slightly higher contrast and brightness when compared to a 10,13 or 14.
The only almost generic part of these screens is the software they run on.

Just my two pennys worth.

I do hope they are different as I have just cancelled my order at qed for the 14 package as they don't know when they will have it in stock so I planned on buying the 17 from richersounds plus a stand and some cables for just a little bit more money. If they're the same spec then I should have stuck with qed!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom