1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG.Philips LCD unveils world's largest TFT LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rct, Oct 9, 2002.

1. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well folks, it looks like it won't be that long before we say goodbye to CRT and Plasma displays... (well it'll take a while before LCDs become affordable, but hey, I can drool)

[digitimes.com] 15:07

LG.Philips LCD on October 7 unveiled a 42-inch LCD monitor panel

This makes it the world's largest TFT LCD, featuring wide XGA resolution, 500cd/m2 (nit) brightness, a 175-degree viewing angle, 12ms response time, 500:1 contrast ratio and a thickness of only 50.9mm. The product was developed using the company's super-in-plane-switching (S-IPS) technology.

The company plans to begin volume production of the panel in the second half of 2003.

Shih-wei Kao

rct. :D

2. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will LCD be better than plasma? A quick glance at the specs on this new display doesn't fill me with excitement, not least becuase they seem to be worse than first generation plasma displays let alone the most recent versions.

Regards

Rob

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I'm priveledged enough to own a precursor to the technology mentioned. I have an Eizo L565 LCD monitor. It is currently the best implementation of Super-IPS technology available, and I can honestly say, that the raw specs don't do it justice.

My panel has a 30ms reponse time and I'm yet to see ghosting or blurring when watching DVDs, black-levels are superb and colour rendition excellent; I can only imagine that the new 42" panel will improve on these aspects further.

In the long-term I do believe that LCD has more of a future than plasma, due to its low-power requirements, greater robustness, relatively simpler manufacturing process and longer life (I do realise the backlight will need changing every 5 years or so.)

This announcement should be the first step in an exciting line of developments in the display industry.

4. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do LCD TV's cost so much at the moment - you can get a 17" Iiyama LCD 1280x1024 monitor for ~ £400 street price, yet you would be charged over £1000 for the equivalent size TV model!!

The only difference is a tuner - surely prices of LCD's have a long way to fall?

- MichaelJP