LG PG3000 50" review

cobraman2008

With all the help I received from AVForums in choosing my first big-screen plasma, I thought it only right I do a review of my experience with the LG PG3000 50" which I received this Sunday gone.

After deliberating whether to go for the PG3000 or PG6000, I opted for the slightly lower-spec PG3000 which came with one less HDMI port, 2 less internal speakers and 20,000:1 instead of 30,000:1 contrast ratio. The PG3000 also has a different style cue with a small indented border whereas the PG6000 is completely flat and borderless.

Out of the box
With the brown box opened up I was pleased to see the plasma was tightly packaged with plenty of protection and the screen was wrapped in a white fabric and the border with plastic lining so as not to mark the screen/border with fingerprints. The box was lied flat and the plasma was pulled out of the box with the help of another pair of hands. It was at this stage that I realised just how heavy this plasma was - for a slim panel, it was fairly heavy and cumbersome. The plasma was then stood up on the floor on it's already pre-mounted metal stand (which is made out of metal and weighs at least 8kg on its own.

Wall mounting
Having decided to wall mount the plasma above the fireplace and mantle I had purchased a tiltable bracket for just under £40. The bracket arms took around 15 minutes to assemble and these were connected to the back of the plasma within a couple of minutes. Something to note - if you are planning on wall mounting as I did the screws at the back of the plasma are extremely small and useless as they will not screw back in with the bracket arms in place. Luckily, the bracket I ordered came with four extra screws which were used instead and were the correct size. If your bracket does not come with these extra screws you will need to purchase some yourself or you will be stuck when it comes to mounting the bracket arms on the back of the plasma.

The next job was fixing the metal plate to the wall. After careful measurements and lining up how far the plasma was to be placed on the wall (we simply used a measuring tape and measured from the bottom of the plasma to the top of the bracket arm and worked out the dimensions from that rather than picking the plasma up and moving it around) we had the plate up within 15 minutes. We decided to use all eight wall screws that the bracket came with for absolute peace of mind. It was then a case of removing the plasma stand which meant removing 5 screws at the rear of the plasma and lifting with the help of my dad (three pair of hands). Then with all three of us supporting the plasma we mounted the 50" panel onto the back plate which meant resting it onto the flat panel via the bracket arms. Very simply indeed although we realised just how heavy the plasma was at this stage. We carefully removed our hands and the panel rested comfortably on the back plate. With the weight of the plasma the tilting mechanism was made redundant as however tight we tightened the tilt mechanism the weight of the plasma countered it and we had full tilt. Using a tip I picked up on AV Forums we used a couple of blocks of wood and rested this against the wall and back of the plasma and we had a very minimal tilt which was perfect.

Connecting and switching it on
The next step was connecting our appliances to the plasma and sticking in the power cord. It is important to note that the scart/HDMI/aerial ports are on the left of the plasma. With all our appliances and plug ports on the right of the fireplace I had already thought about this and brought a longer television aerial and 3m scarts to make sure they reached beforehand (something to consider). The Sky box and DVD player were plugged in with two scarts and the Playstation 3 with a HDMI cable. This left two free HDMI ports available for further additions. Finally, the power cord was connected and the plasma switched on via the remote control on button and we had an immediate picture through the Sky box. Great stuff. A welcome menu appeared on screen where you select your country, language and the Freeview/TV channels are then automatically configured through the aerial which takes around 5 minutes. Clicking the Input button on the remote control allows you to switch between the Sky box, DVD player, aerial operated channels and Playstation 3. Very simple indeed.

Next was to play around with the settings. It was here that I noted that I had not even looked through the paper manual booklet and decided I had better have a quick look. Just 12 pages in English on how to setup and turn on the plasma with nothing on how to operate the onscreen settings. Fair enough. I pressed the Menu button on the remote control and was greeted with 6 colourful boxes which filled the centre of the plasma. These are as self-explanatory as you are going to get and there are lots of options on changing the picture and audio to your taste. I'll leave this here as you really need to play with this yourself but it is very easy and a lot of fun indeed exploring the different options available.

Sound and vision
Viewing SD through both the Freeview and Sky box literally amazed me. I was expecting a drop in form from my old 32" CRT but the picture quality is fantastic (especially on a 50" big screen). Only if you stand very close can you see pixelation and a slight blurring but sitting 4 feet and further away and the picture is of great quality and exceeded all my expectations. Considering the plasma is going to be used for viewing SD for the next few years (unless Sky HD decide to make more channels of HD nature) I was extremely pleased with the quality of the picture.

Next was trying a BlueRay disc in the Playstation 3 and I had borrowed Ghostrider from my cousin. The quality is really good and you can only notice a very slight judder when the credits appear at the end of the film (due to upscaling of course). Next up was a normal DVD in the Playstation 3 (Jurassic Park) and the upscaling really enhanced the picture and made it almost as good as the Ghostrider BlueRay disc. Amazing technology that works.

Finally, I tried ProEvo8 and looked out for image retention after 10 minutes and nothing. The quality is once again amazing with strong colours and dark blacks.

The sound is okay. On some films I had flicked into the Playstation 3 I noticed a "mosquito effect" which is a mosquito type buzz before people spoke which was more prominent in From Dusk Till Dawn where it was unbearable and the DVD was turned off. Other films faired a lot better. I tried all the audio settings available and Clear Voice was awful with an artificial tone to voices. I finally settled on Cinema (Audio) which meant the background noise took over the voice levels. This was extremely annoying. Only yesterday I watched Lord of the Rings and the volume was cranked up to 100 (full) and this was just acceptable when sitting 12 feet away from the screen. However, there was no mosquito noise this time around.

I am definitely going to have to purchase a surround sound system of some sort (something I was not planning to do straightaway) and I am looking at the Yamaha AV63 full sound package which will set me back £250. So if you want decent sound from this plasma you will have to budget for a sound system of some sort.

Screen retention. This was something I was looking out for over the past few days and I only noticed it yesterday when I turned the volume down whilst watching Lord of the Rings after 2hrs 40mins. The volume bar remained slightly visible for around 2 minutes before vanishing. Other than that - nothing at all. The whitewash has been used two times thus far; Sunday night when turning the plasma off and straight after watching Lord of the Rings.

Overall
I am delighted with the LG PG3000 50" thus far (only had it two days). The picture quality is simply amazing and blows away everything I've ever seen before (DVD and BlueRays plus gaming is mindblowing). The inbuilt speakers are not the best. It beats the Samsung plasmas but the range isn't that great and the "mosquito effect" is annoying as hell. Clear Voice is a definite no-no as it is so artificial and I won't ever use this mode again. A surround sound system (be it 2.1 or 5.1) is needed to simply do away with using the inbuilt plasma speakers (you may get away with it if you are in a small room and don't crank the sound up much).

I'll add to this review after a few weeks to report any more findings but I hope that has helped a little for potential buyers of the LG PG3000 50".

I brought my screen from Dixons Online for £680 (including delivery) although this price has dropped over the past couple of days. Delivery was ontime to the hour quoted which was excellent.

guicane

Standard Member
I have also purchased this TV last week and got it home today, but I'm at work so my wife's got it. I will test it when I get home and will take your insights in consideration. Very nice and helpful! Although I will also probably need a sound system but I will go with something simpler of something around £150 max.

I will post here after I have the opportunity to use it!

cobraman2008

Good stuff and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am probably being a bit silly with the sound but it didn't blow me away as with the picture but with surround sound you will get the full effect.

I'd recommend you stay with default settings for the first 100-200 hours to let the plasma bed-in a little. It may feel a little dull but it actually improves visually day by day. Within 24 hours I actually noticed the black lines above and below when playing a 16:9 film actually darkened (and this only within 24 hours).

By all means have a good play around with the settings and the fantastic menu but try and revert to default (there is an option to revert back to default settings) just to let the plasma settle in.

Have fun - it's a fantastic piece of kit for the money.:clap:

guicane

Standard Member
I have opened the box and took it out to test and the image was great as well. I'm very busy at the moment but I just thought I'd share some picture with you guys so maybe if there is someone with doubts they can already see the menus and image of the screen.

I will only get it out of the box once I moved to the new house which will be in about 2 weeks. After that I will write my impressions as well.

I HAD BIG PROBLEMS REMOVING FROM THE BOX HAHA!

Hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• tv0.jpg
    tv0.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 883
  • tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 830
  • tv2.jpg
    tv2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 772
  • tv3.jpg
    tv3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • tv4.jpg
    tv4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 982
  • tv5.jpg
    tv5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 977
  • tv6.jpg
    tv6.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 855
  • tv7.jpg
    tv7.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • tv8.jpg
    tv8.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 978

cobraman2008

:DLooking very good indeed. It was a pain getting it out of the box and I needed an extra pair of hands and ended up lying the box flat and pulling towards us very slowly.

I don't know how you are going to cope for 2 weeks knowing you have the plasma but not using it.

guicane

Standard Member
I don't know if you could notice the mess that I have at home at the moment, I don't even feel like setting up the new tv in there so dirty it is... And I'm also so busy that it won't make a difference now.

About the box, it was only me and my wife, she couldn't lift it up so I just tilted the box and removed it myself as I'm quite big. Problem was to put it back in the box after I tested it. BUT! If you notice the lid of the box there are instructions on how to open it up easily! It is actually like a drawer just hold by tapes around the box. If you cut the tapes at the bottom the whole box comes out living only the lower part with styrofoam around the tv. Yes, I felt very stupid when I found out.

cobraman2008

Yes - you are right. The box ends up folding flat in the end. Guess I should have read the instructions first.:lesson:

Your older TV looks so much smaller in the pictures attached - just like mine did.:clap:

guicane

Standard Member
I tried to take a picture to make a size comparison between the new and the old one. The small one is a 20" although it looks more like a 14".

cobraman2008

Just an update having had the plasma for just over a month now and having run it in over the 200 hour threshold.

Update 22 October 2008
The only thing that had disappointed me since I purchased the plasma was the sound quality. Having read about the SRS-SurroundXT system I was of the opinion that the inbuilt speakers would suffice for sound purposes. However, after just a few hours of casual watching and after watching From Dusk Till Dawn on the PS3 - I noticed a "mosquito" buzzing sound on vocals. This was most noticeable on this particular film to the point where I had to turn it off after 10 minutes of watching.

Since then, and not being able to bear the low volume levels even when notching the volume to 100, I purchased a brand new Yamaha AV32 5.1 Surround Sound System. This has literally transformed the way I now watch the plasma. The sound now means watching the plasma is an absolute joy.

I've been watching a few DVDs using the PS3 and have to say it is an incredible experience from watching on the old 32" CRT. The upscaling is absolutely brilliant and even though I was aware of potential "judder" after reading various threads I have yet to witness it myself. When I say I have watched a few DVDs I mean I have watched closed to 20 over the past four weeks and they have all been excellent (particularly the re-mastered The Shining which even my father commented on how amazing the picture looked and that it didn't seem like a 30 year film).

Image retention was another concern and to be honest, there is image retention present at times. Now the good news - it is not as bad as I was expecting it to be. All plasmas appear to suffer with it. However, LG seems to suffer more than others. Whilst gaming (ProEvo8 played for 2 hours at a time) it does appear when the screen goes black between games. However, during matchplay it is not noticeable at all. Whilst watching movies it appears more predominantly when watching in the "letterbox" format. When tampering with colours and bringing the menu up during a film the ghost of the menu remains and can be seen in the black lines at the top and bottom of the screen of the letterbox mode. This does however disappear after 5 minutes. It's not as bad as it is said to be but Pioneers and Panasonics do not suffer as much as the LG.

SD quality remains amazing for a 50" screen. I was expecting a poorer picture than my 32" CRT gave me but to be honest, sitting a fair distance from the screen, and the picture is damn good for SD programmes. DVDs played on the PS3 are fantastic and a whole new experience to watching DVDs on a normal DVD player. Upscaling is fantastic. So much so, that it was difficult to tell the difference when watching a DVD version of Spiderman 3 and a BluRay version of Spiderman 3. There is very little difference (in my opinion and view anyway). So much so, that I purchased 5 DVDs last week and don't envisage spending the extra for BluRay in the near future. Gaming is fantastic as to be expected.

Now having run the plasma in for 200 hours I have had a play with the picture settings. And for a newbie like myself, getting a nice picture takes a lot of time of tinkering. I have now settled on Cinema Mode which I use all the time. Everything is set to 50 except the contrast which is set to 70. Film mode, black level, screen noise and other modes are all turned off. Now to achieve the most powerful of black I have found that turning the Power Setting to 4 gives me a fantastic black level. I only found this out yesterday whilst watching Pulp Fiction on DVD. I normally had it at level 2 but notching it up to 4 gives an outstandingly black "black". Contrast was turned down to 45.

I am planning on getting the plasma calibrated shortly but for now and taking on advice I have managed to get skin tones of faces to a much more acceptable level and the black is much better than when I first switched the plasma on some 4 weeks ago.

I am very happy with my first ever plasma and it really does offer something extra when watching movies and football. It's been a good buy thus far.:thumbsup:

cobraman2008

It's a fantastic plasma for the money - and has exceeded all my expectations. Build quality is extremely good and the style of the plasma is amazing and very clean and uncluttered.

If money is no issue then I would have gone for the 8th Generation Pioneer Kuro which comes in at just over £1500. But then that plasma is double the price of what I paid for the LG. Having compared the two closely the Pioneer is on another level but for a budget plasma the LG punches well above its weight.:D

W

wolfie8832

hi brought an LG PG3000 50 inch today ive noticed i can only turn set off to standby the red light on power switch stays on is this correct, or can you turn set off with out unplugging from wall? also has any one got the codes for the sky tv remote to work the tv.
thanks for any help

Helly77

Standard Member
hi brought an LG PG3000 50 inch today ive noticed i can only turn set off to standby the red light on power switch stays on is this correct, or can you turn set off with out unplugging from wall? also has any one got the codes for the sky tv remote to work the tv.
thanks for any help

i am wondering exactly the same 2 things :confused:

Helly77

Standard Member
i just got my sky+ remote (rev 8) working with code 0206 :clap:

is there no way of switching off totally without unplugging though?

annie00

Standard Member
It's a fantastic plasma for the money - and has exceeded all my expectations. Build quality is extremely good and the style of the plasma is amazing and very clean and uncluttered.

If money is no issue then I would have gone for the 8th Generation Pioneer Kuro which comes in at just over £1500. But then that plasma is double the price of what I paid for the LG. Having compared the two closely the Pioneer is on another level but for a budget plasma the LG punches well above its weight.:D

Hiya, did you run break-in DVD on your LG PG3000?

k3fus

Standard Member
I bought one of these plamas in Feb and unfortunatly after a month I have found out that the left hand side speaker is not working correctly and I am now waiting for an engineer to come to look at it Tuesday to see what's wrong (speaker or amplifier).

Other than the above problem I can't fault the TV.

I have a question, what quality improvement would I see plugging my XBox 360 in by an HDMI cable over the component leads (RGB) I currently use?

chesham

Standard Member
I bought one of these plamas in Feb and unfortunatly after a month I have found out that the left hand side speaker is not working correctly and I am now waiting for an engineer to come to look at it Tuesday to see what's wrong (speaker or amplifier).

Other than the above problem I can't fault the TV.

I have a question, what quality improvement would I see plugging my XBox 360 in by an HDMI cable over the component leads (RGB) I currently use?

Lots!! :thumbsup: After my switchover, the difference in PQ was amazing. Even using my LG 32PG6000, I was amazed at the difference and then I used my 50", it's quality!!

jasonmv

Standard Member
i got the LG pg3000 60"

yehhh i thought " i will just get the mrs to help me hang it on the wall...:oops:

fortunatly neighbour was home....

also not being able to phisically turn off was issue with me... but phoned lg and they said its designed like this .....best or not ? i have no idea ..i do have the tv plugged into a curcuit protection extention ...and could turn power off via this if anyone wants to say 100% its for the better ?

but overall found the picture gr8., sound is via amp etc so never was going to b issue..

mckins

Standard Member
Hey guys,

Just a little note to add my pennies worth! I purchased one of these TVs from Richer around 5 months ago. The TV actually sat in a spare room in the house we had bought but had not fully moved into. We did plan to put it up on the wall but we were not fully living in the property so didn't see the point. Over time we started to move in, and use the house a bit more so I and my father set about mounting this to the wall. At least a two man job, but we got it sorted.

The TV itself was a brilliant all rounder, it was my first plasma. I tested the standard Xbox (component/analogue HD) and the quality of the games was just outstanding. The room it's situated in is very big and the sound I though was excellent. The acoustics of the room I would say play a great part in this, also if you have wooden floor or carpet, Curtains etc. I didn't have any curtains, and had wooden floor. We watched some freeview on this TV but only using indoor Arial which was cr*p. My plan is to hook this up with a nice Humax Freesat set.

I did not get to test out my Samsung bluray player which to this day is still sitting planked away in the house.

The big problem happened around 2 weeks ago when someone broke into my house and stole the TV. I was absolutely gutted, such a sick feeling when something like this happens. We work hard every week/month to pay the bills and look after the family etc and with the spare cash buy nice things like this for Scum to try and take that away.

So at the minute it's back to the LG 28” CRT till I get things sorted.

I think ill be getting another PG3000 50”, So that's tried and tested and going back for more.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom