LG PC-based DVD-burners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    This isn't a question about AV hardware although it is AV-related. I'm interested in recording to DVD-RAM on my Panasonic E95 then doing the titling, menu creation and so forth on the PC. Obviously I'd rather use re-writable discs for transfer to the PC and on the Panny that means DVD-RAM.

LG's current batch of DVD-burners for the PC are RAM-compatible and get excellent reviews everywhere, but the one thing I can't find is whether you can use caddied discs with them. Does anyone here have one and know the answer? The models I'm looking at are the 4120 and the 4160.

Regards

Nelviticus

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Uncaddied disks only I'm afraid. That is the case with virtually all DVD drives that use DVD-RAMs: LG, Toshiba, Samsung, Iomega - they all only support uncaddied disks. A single Panasonic models supports caddies but I am not aware of the model number.

I included a Guide on getting a DVD-RAM compatible device in the PC Guide thread - scroll down to post #2.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    As Rasczak says, the only current burner that seems to accept RAM in caddies is the Panasonic SW-9573-C.

It's a bit more expensive than the LG 4120B and also doesn't do DVD+R9s.

See this months PC Pro magazine (issue 122) for a group test.

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit odd isn't it that you can't buy one that takes caddies as they must make them as they are in DVD recorders.

I guess there will be a Pansonic one in their E range and a Toshiba one in XS32 ( I think I read it was something like SD 3000)

As you say PC DVD drives that you can buy all seem not to except caddies.