LG OTW150 OLED Mount

ukaudiophile

Hello,

Well, after the last price drop to £2500 with the 10% discount I bit the bullet and purchased an LG 55EF950V which was delivered yesterday.

A quick point to note with PC World / Currys, the one near me in Blackpool was clueless regarding the wall mount, they twice tried to sell me a generic VESA mount for the likes of a Panasonic or Sony without actually realising that required the dedicated LG mount. In the end I gave up and ordered an LG OTW150 mount from John Lewis which I also scheduled for delivery yesterday.

First off the good thing, this mount is built to a person off the wall, let alone a TV, it is incredibly solidly built and feels like it could hang a plasma screen. It is very well made and finished, and whilst it feels a bit stiff in your hands, once you have a TV hung off it it is very nicely weighted and you can position the TV very precisely without it wobbling or moving. £99 may sound a lot for a mount, but you're getting a very high quality item, and I would certainly recommend the unit from a build quality stand point.

Now the criticisms. This mount is designed for professional installers, not your average guy at home, and the first couple of pages of the manual are full of warning about the fact that this should be installed by a qualified person only. Don't know what these qualification are and I'm sure my local college would not be able to offer me course in OTW150 mounting, but apparently there is some qualification you need to handle this thing. As a result of this, the manual is a bit vague. The supplied mounting hardware is again of good quality, but the wall anchors are supposed to be put in with an 8mm dia. drill to a depth of 80mm. NO THEY ARE NOT! As I am a danger to life, limb and the surrounding area with any power tool in my hands, which usually requires the attendance of all three emergency services, I had a friend of mine to help me who is experienced in these matters, having worked as a builder for the last 15 years. He took one look at the wall anchors, one look at the manual, and laughed. If you are securing your TV in a red brick wall, use a 10mm drill, these wall anchors expand when you put a screw in them and they will not compress to less than 10mm. Using a hammer to try and squish them into an 8mm hole will result in you destroying the wall anchor. This is, in my view, a major oversight. Another quick tip, if you're dealing with a home with red brick internal walls and securing a TV to one of these, don't skimp on your drill, I started trying to drill with my 25 yr old + Hitachi cordless hammer drill, and it basically went in around 2mm and just stopped, though the motor did start to smell a bit, I think it's on it's last legs. I then tried with my friends 1000w Ryobi mains hammer drill (he wouldn't let me near his 24v pneumatic hammer drill) and it drilled a 100mm dia. hole to 80mm depth in under 1min. The difference the right hardware make cannot be underestimated.

The mount did not come with a template, which is a major issue as every wall mount speaker I've installed previously has always come with a paper template. As this mount does not mount central to the TV this is also an issue. I will scan in the manual giving the hole centers, and also give you some dimensions from the hole locations to the top and bottom edges of the TV a little later so if you're installing one of these, you can at least het an idea where the TV screen will actually be in relation to the mount, but for a £100 mount I would have expected a little more consideration.

I know that the pro installers probably do have a template from LG, but LG really needs to think of the consumer, not just bolstering the profits of PC World / Currys Know How division, and remember that without the end consumer, they are history.

All things considered, the TV did them mount onto the wall mount with ease, and could be very precisely adjusted, just don't forget to put the safety clamps on the top mounts before trying to push the connectors into the TV from below. The connectors are tight andI felt my TV move as I pushed them home, the last thing I'd want is for someone to not do this and end up with their TV on the floor.

Installation is not difficult, but hopefully these points will help you do the job quicker and more effortlessly than I.

I hope this helps.

Dave

vaktmestern

Banned
Think comon sense comes a long way. :cool: On what walls you mount a tv snd How you secure it to them.

on wall ancors it usually says on the bolt on what dim on drill you should be using.

Dave Trouser

Standard Member
I am seriously considering this TV after the disappointment of the Sony 55X8509C (awful viewing angle! They claim 88 degrees, but it's really more like 30). I think 3D has killed LCD viewing angles - every LCD TV I see has issues now. Funny how my 2008 2D KDL-40W4500 doesn't have those problems...

Do you know of any wall mounts for the LG that are longer? I need my TV to be at least 370mm off the wall, with possible potential to move even further (450-500mm). Also needs to tilt and turn, ideally but not essential and OLED viewing angle is not an issue!

What are your impressions of the picture quality? Are there plenty of image adjustment settings? That was one of the plus points of the Sony - the settings available made picture adjustment easy. It's a bit annoying that a standard VESA mount won't work with this LG :-\

kas206

Thank you for the post. I will surely help me when I'm mounting mine over the next few days. What worries me is that the mounting holes are not in the middle of the TV. I wonder why LG did this.

I'll be using snaptoggles since mine is a plasterboard wall. I just hope they're strong enough and don't find my TV on the floor the next morning

Josh Bear

I bought a vesa full motion mount for my 920 and it works brilliantly and was 10 pounds cheaper than the lg mount. Got it from PCs world

Josh

ukaudiophile

I am seriously considering this TV after the disappointment of the Sony 55X8509C (awful viewing angle! They claim 88 degrees, but it's really more like 30). I think 3D has killed LCD viewing angles - every LCD TV I see has issues now. Funny how my 2008 2D KDL-40W4500 doesn't have those problems...

Do you know of any wall mounts for the LG that are longer? I need my TV to be at least 370mm off the wall, with possible potential to move even further (450-500mm). Also needs to tilt and turn, ideally but not essential and OLED viewing angle is not an issue!

I think you're going to have a problem with this, the maximum reach is around 220mm (I'll check the exact figures) and I don't know another LG mount which will work with this TV and has that kind of extension from the wall. You're looking at going 1/2 M from the wall, that puts a lot of load on the mount, is there any way you can get your mounting arrangement to work in an alternative configuration?

What are your impressions of the picture quality? Are there plenty of image adjustment settings? That was one of the plus points of the Sony - the settings available made picture adjustment easy. It's a bit annoying that a standard VESA mount won't work with this LG :-\

Well I'm coming from an 11yr old Sony rear projection TV, so compared with what I had previously, this picture is a revelation, however I have a 3yr old 47" 1080p LG which was THX certified and had ISF settings (which I use), and in comparison with that, the picture on the 950v is vastly superior, as you'd expect. Again in ISF mode, there are no obvious motion artifacts on anything I've watched, broadcast HD is good, as is Sky HD, though the SD channels look more than a little soft, as you'd expect when a 4K set interpolates from 576i all the way to 4k, for example Motors TV on 71, where the source material is not the best, does looks rather hazy, but I'm seeing no motion artifacts on fast panning. There are a lot of setting, though many of them are greyed out in ISF modes, but they are not easy to get to, instead they're buried about 3 layers down in the advanced submenu of settings, and then you have menus for the individual items you want to change. Like I said, not obvious, but they are there. You'll want to keep the manual in easy reach when you get this set until you're used to WebOS, but it is getting more intuitive.

If asked the crunch question would I recommend one to a friend, yes I would, in fact I already have, and I think at the £2250 pricetag it does represent very good value for money.

I hope this helps.

Dave

ukaudiophile

I bought a vesa full motion mount for my 920 and it works brilliantly and was 10 pounds cheaper than the lg mount. Got it from PCs world

Josh
I'm intrigued, how did you deal with the offsets between the top and bottom screw holes? Which support did you use?

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

Josh Bear

I'm intrigued, how did you deal with the offsets between the top and bottom screw holes? Which support did you use?

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave
Hi

This was the mount. It has multiple configurations and I had three height options that worked with the screw holes. It says for curved TVs but the mount itself is not any different from what you would expect for a flat tv. It comes with all the fixings and spares along with a paper template.
Sandstrom SFMLC15 Full Motion TV Wall Mount for curved & normal TVs 32-70":Amazon.co.uk:Electronics

Hope this helps someone.

Josh

Dave Trouser

Standard Member
I think you're going to have a problem with this, the maximum reach is around 220mm (I'll check the exact figures) and I don't know another LG mount which will work with this TV and has that kind of extension from the wall. You're looking at going 1/2 M from the wall, that puts a lot of load on the mount, is there any way you can get your mounting arrangement to work in an alternative configuration?

I don't yet have a wall mount, I'm still researching. I think it may be possible to use a VESA adapter kit. How far off being a square are the locations of the screw holes? I have looked at photos of the rear of the TV and I could only see the top two... where are the lower ones?

Well I'm coming from an 11yr old Sony rear projection TV, so compared with what I had previously, this picture is a revelation, however I have a 3yr old 47" 1080p LG which was THX certified and had ISF settings (which I use), and in comparison with that, the picture on the 950v is vastly superior, as you'd expect. Again in ISF mode, there are no obvious motion artifacts on anything I've watched, broadcast HD is good, as is Sky HD, though the SD channels look more than a little soft, as you'd expect when a 4K set interpolates from 576i all the way to 4k, for example Motors TV on 71, where the source material is not the best, does looks rather hazy, but I'm seeing no motion artifacts on fast panning. There are a lot of setting, though many of them are greyed out in ISF modes, but they are not easy to get to, instead they're buried about 3 layers down in the advanced submenu of settings, and then you have menus for the individual items you want to change. Like I said, not obvious, but they are there. You'll want to keep the manual in easy reach when you get this set until you're used to WebOS, but it is getting more intuitive.

If asked the crunch question would I recommend one to a friend, yes I would, in fact I already have, and I think at the £2250 pricetag it does represent very good value for money.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Very helpful thanks - and I have seen the rather odd interface, but I can live with that as I only have to set it up once. Only need the smart functions for the Plex app, and maybe Amazon and YouTube. Even then I may well end up building or buying a separate "smart" box as I was going to do before my existing TV (Sony KDL-40W4500) started dying.

Am I right in assuming the LG isn't a Chromecast receiver? I can't see any reference to it in the specs, just screen mirroring.

bigbones

Novice Member
Hi,

Where did you guys buy the LG OTW150 mount from ?

I can't find it in stock with anyone in the UK!

Cheers

dr no

Just to add a further recommendation for this mount.
One of the easiest to mount I've come across and very sturdy. Sits quite flat but paves the option to pull out or tilt.
The price isn't bad either when you come what some of the premium brands charge.
Highly recommended by me.

dr no

So do you need the OTW150 mount or could I use my existing VESA mount?
Haven't you read the whole thread?
TV isn't a standard VESA mount. Bottom two holes closer together.
You can use a VESA adaptor or just use top two holes only or buy the LG mount

Josh Bear

babator

Haven't you read the whole thread?
TV isn't a standard VESA mount. Bottom two holes closer together.
You can use a VESA adaptor or just use top two holes only or buy the LG mount
Read the thread, but did not quite understand what was the difference to a standard mount. Thanks, I do appreciate the clarification.

bigbones

Novice Member
Good luck finding the OTW 150 in stock anywhere in the UK chaps.. seems LG havent shipped/made enough for the UK.

Literally cannot find anyone with them in stock on UK shores!

ashenfie

I have a spare OSW100 if any one wants it, never used and still in the box as shipped.

ashenfie

Well i hope i am not breaking any rules, but happy to accepts offers around £65

dr no

Well i hope i am not breaking any rules, but happy to accepts offers around £65
Please open a thread in the classifieds section

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom