1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg Or Samsung?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by barryd, Dec 15, 2002.

1. barryd

barryd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Please can you help me decide weather to buy the LG M2-42P217 or the Samsung PS42P2S???

Please can I have your comments on these. what is the difference between the LG M2-42P217 and the LG M2-42P214?
    Do you know where the cheapest place to get them from?

Thanks in advance.

BarryD:cool:

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry,

I believe the difference between the PZ14 and PZ17 is the improved contrast ratio (1000:1) and brightness (750).

I'm personally going for the LG over the Samsung because the LG has component video input without the need for a tuner, and is better specced based on the above improvements. Cheapest I've seen the PZ17 is £2495 from Richer Sounds.

Monty.

3. barryd

barryd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks MONTYUK i think my mind is made up now! sevenoaks sound and vision are doing the lg for £2,300! Best i can find!

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hang on for a bit. QED were selling the PZ14 with desktop stand, speakers and tuner for £2573 but it's no longer on the website as they are out of stock on the tuners. Mine was supposed to arrive last Wednesday and after taking a day off work I was disappointed that they failed to deliver. I have now cancelled my order but I expect there to be some bargains in the new year, with hopefully the PZ17 at around the same price as the 14 is now.

5. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends on the individual's requirements. I don't want / need the desktop stand, speakers or tuner, but for those that do the QED price was excellent. I'll just be looking for the cheapest price for the panel itself, delivered.

Personally I'm also waiting 'till January, so we'll see what kind of offers are around then. £2300 for the LG is an excellent price though, but Sevenoaks Sound & Vision only list the PZ14 on their web site at the moment . . . do you know whether they are stocking the PZ17 yet Barry, and is it the same price ??

Monty.

6. barryd

barryd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Monty i have just found out that they are only doing the pz14 after they told me it was the pz17! they are not getting any pz17 in! is the pz17 alot better than the pz14?

7. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry,

My local RS are only supplying the PZ17, and that is now what's specified on their website . . . should be fine.

Monty.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is going to be a bit of a rant so please bear with me.

I bought Samsung Plasma at the beginning of this month from RS and have been very happy with it. However at the beginning of last week the screen began to cut out as if going into stand by mode (But not).

There were no other problems with the screen and I was more than happy with the quality and performance of the set.

I rang up RS and they put me through to Stelgis their suppliers. I spoke to a very helpful engineer who explained the set had a faulty "Wire Driver" no idea what this but apparently it regulates power to the screen and needed to be replaced.

No problem the new screen was with me by the end of the week (Thursday - great service) and I installed it on Saturday. However all was not well with the replacement screen. Although it did not cut out the picture quality of the replacement was nothing like the original, the biggest problem being a very irritating "Flicker effect" with faint bands phasing down the screen (particularly evident on solid colours and at the edge of the screen)

I again spoke to RS and Stelgis and the same engineer confirmed that he believed this set to be DOA also (A loose connection inside he felt was the cause of the picture distortion).

I got talking to him and told him I was thinking of getting a different screen. Something costing even £2000 has to be two strikes and you are out surely ?

I said I was thinking of the New LG at £2500 or maybe even £2999 for the latest Toshiba. This is proposed to be the same screen basically as the new Panny and most people on this forum and in fact everywhere agree that this is the best set available but at a price.

Now I must say he seemed like a nice chap and I definitely trust what he was saying. He services and repairs these things at one of the biggest distributors in the country and he obviously knows his stuff. He said that in 4 months he had only had back 4 Samsung sets (including what will soon be two from me). This out of over 1000 that has gone through their company in this period (So he says).

He said that personally he though it was a good set picture and build quality wise especially for the money. I asked him what he thought about the Tosh and the LG. He said the Tosh is a great set but only comes with a one-year warranty. (Although I would get two-year extension for £250 from RS as I have with the Sammy).

He reckons that these sets are not that serviceable - anything goes wrong with the screen panel itself and it is for the bin.

I was really keen on the new LG model. I was not impressed with their old models having compared them with the Sammy in a number of locations (AMC cinemas / Curries etc).

However their new set seems to have good write ups, Decent Contrast of apparently 1000 on the consumer model (Brightness 750) and is proposed to be the best budget model available at the moment.

Shock. He refused to be drawn to comment much on the new LG. He said he has been "Exceptionally disappointed" with both the build and picture quality of the LG panels including the new screen.

His closing comment was "I can’t really discuss it but put it this way I would rather have a CRT set than an LG".

Oh dear. Now I know a few people on this board have these sets so for god’s sake get you opinions down quick. I am going down to RS at lunch with my mate who has a 42" Panny armed with a load of Dvds to demo this set properly in their viewing room (I always judge for myself whatever people say).

LG owners input is must appreciated as I thought this set would be an option or should I just blow the budget and get the Tosh? I thought I knew my stuff (to an extent) but have a crisis of confidence now having talked to this guy !