LG or Samsung 55inch

sydeccles

Standard Member
I need some help. I would like a 55inch TV

My existing TV is Samsung UE46ES6300

I do not want to spend mega money, cira £800 or £900. (cira €1k)

Main use is streaming movies from a Synology Nas, Amazon fire Stick, and Sky via Sky HD Box.

I have narrowed it down to 4 TV’s “but am willing to change”

2 LG TV’s LG 55NANO906NA & LG 55NANO916

Plus 2 Samsung models QE55Q75TATXXC & QE55LS03T.

ANY help advice would be appreciated

Syd

tvdavid

prob go with the QE55Q75TATXXC as its me and a VA screen would be better blacks. but don't be put of the LG if other people post.

Dodgexander

Philips OLED754 is less than 1k now and much, much better value for money than any 2020 model, including all the models you suggested.

Try to find a 2019 model, don't overpay on 2020 stock right now, its too expensive.

sydeccles

Standard Member
Thankyou for your input. If I up my budget a tad then I have one more TV that I am considering. I can buy a 55inch Samsung Q80T in Spain for circa €1156 (circa £1000)
Opinions please,
thanks in advance
Syd

Dodgexander

Thankyou for your input. If I up my budget a tad then I have one more TV that I am considering. I can buy a 55inch Samsung Q80T in Spain for circa €1156 (circa £1000)
that is a 2020 model as mentioned above in the thread, and therefore is poor value for money compared to 2019 models it replaces.

To come close to a TV like the Sony XG9505 mentioned you'd be looking at the Samsung Q90T, or at very least Q85T.

If there's no longer any availability of 2019 models in the best buy guide local to you, you'd be best buying a TV at a later time unless you're happy to get worse value for money now for the luxury of having a TV sooner.

sydeccles

Standard Member
Well I am still looking. I have located a 2019 Samsung 55inch Q80R for circa £1k This set seems to get very good reviews (I am so tempted)

However I have also been reading a LOT of other posts on this forum, and now thinking do I wait until I can get an LG OLED in the pre Christmas sales. Basically would i notice the difference ?

silent ninja

Dodgexander has a great guide for LCD Vs OLED. I can't link on my phone, it's in his link. Room brightness, angles etc are factors.

It's likely the LG BX will be £1000 between now and January. That's not 100% but likely based on previous years.

Will you notice the difference? You need to look for yourself.
I went into retailers, and like 5 years ago with plasma, I can tell which ones are OLED and which LCD. It's a more natural, more cinematic picture on OLED - it's the blacks, it's the colours (like skin tone). LED/LCD can look overlit and saturated because of backlighting, so to me always have that "computery" image from a monitor. That is purely my personal opinion.

I do think LCDs are very good, so it becomes a choice of preference - apples vs oranges.

Dodgexander

Well I am still looking. I have located a 2019 Samsung 55inch Q80R for circa £1k This set seems to get very good reviews (I am so tempted)
Its comparable to the new Q85T so you can compare its price to that model.
However I have also been reading a LOT of other posts on this forum, and now thinking do I wait until I can get an LG OLED in the pre Christmas sales. Basically would i notice the difference ?
Aforementioned link: LCD versus OLED

They are different display technologies, so yes there's a big difference. You should choose based on your preferences and proposed viewing conditions.

sydeccles

Standard Member
I have taken advice from Dodgexander and bought myself a 2019 model. I now have a Samsung 55 inch Q80R.
However it has not taken long for the 1st problem to show its head. The TV will not pair to the Smart remote. However my old Samsung remote works fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom