1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by delaxm, Mar 19, 2005.

1. delaxm

delaxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been contemplating the plasma v LCD option but have decided on the former & am now looking at either a Panasonic TH42PW7 or the LG PX11 but have only been able to view them side by side at Comet where the LG's picture was terrible (had to be a bad signal) - Has anyone seen them together that could comment on the PQ, I'm looking to purshase over the easter weekend.

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG is the best budget model out there, but the Panasonic is arguably the best standard definition plasma you can buy in terms of picture quality. Go for the Panasonic!

3. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've seen the LG next to a Pioneer XDE with Sky and a DVD playing on both and the LGs picture was just as good and its half the price of the Pioneer so I'm swaying towards the LG, Looks like a right bargain.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Till you've seen a proper setup, you can't judge such things. IMHO the XDE is nothing to write home about with analogue connections, bet if it were a HDMI dvd player you'd have a different opinion

5. delaxm

delaxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic is the best picture for price that I've seen so far, but the LG seems much easier to accomodate different connections - but I'm leaning towards the Panny at the moment.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Connection wise, you should look elsewhere in your system for connections. If you have everything plugged into different connections, you'll have a bird's nest round the screen and a hard to understand system for any non techie members of the household. Use an AV amp or scaler as a video hub, and all this hassle melts away. At it's simplest, you could have a Pioneer VSX402 with 3 RGB scart inputs, switches sound and video together, and can learn to operate the panny plasma too. Get other pioneer components and you might even end up with 1 remote... DVD and freeview box for instance.

7. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG??? Nopes, never the Panny wins out every time - dealers dont set up sets properly so you cant jsudge by that.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    dilsher, You stalking me, mate? :D

9. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    roflmma @ MAW - only if you ahve legs to die for mate!!!

cheers

10. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Going off topic slightly but if you connect through amp will you loose any PQ,
    ATM I have SKY+ via AV1 RGB and DVD via component. AV Amp is a Denon 2805 and I have a Component ins and out, I also have Svideo in on amp and could conect sky through this, all going to Viera via component. Dont really know other way of connecting sky other than svideo as Amp only has svideo composite and component, unless there is a lead I could get RGB to component. Any ideas much appreciated

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not off topic at all. You need a JS RGB to component converter to maintain the highest level of signal and connect through your amp. It will of course upconvert the s-video, but there is loss of PQ with this, fairly slight in practice, but you know it's there.

12. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks MAW

13. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Does this upconvert the signal as well so Sky + looks better or is it just a signal converter.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    RGB to component is a fairly lossless conversion, maybe think of it like photographic posititve and negative. The converter does nothing to clean the signal up, you need a scaler to do that, but it enables any RGB scart device to be switched via your amp, and sent longer distances down a cable. Component video is more robust in this respect, and the plugs it uses are way better than those hideous scart jobs.