LG OLEDG1 - no DTS

Bliffington

Standard Member
Hi there, first post on here so be gentle with me ;)
I’m looking to upgrade from a Sony KD-49XD8088 to a 65” LGOLEDG1 as it seems to have everything I want from a TV except the lack of DTS support.
I love my tech but am also a bit bit clueless as to the hows & whys of how it all works.
I love films and have an extensive Blu-ray collection of which the majority have DTS soundtracks.
I’m looking at pairing the LG with the Sony HT-A7000 and the Panasonic DP-UB820EB, both of which support DTS.
Does this mean that my Blu-ray back catalogue will play in DTS? (Don’t all groan at once)!

chenks

Suspended
the LG G1 does not support DTS in any way, so if your bluray is connected direct to the TV then you won't be able to use DTS audio.

if you connect the bluray direct to the soundbar, then you'll get DTS.

Bliffington

Standard Member
the LG G1 does not support DTS in any way, so if your bluray is connected direct to the TV then you won't be able to use DTS audio.

if you connect the bluray direct to the soundbar, then you'll get DTS.
Thanks for that.
May need to rethink the soundbar now as both it and the tv are going to be wall mounted and as I have a Sky Q box and a PS5 to connect I won’t have room for the Blu-ray player.
Although, I guess I could connect Sky directly to the tv!? Not too bothered about the sound from there as long as it’s passable, mainly want the good sound via the dedicated Blu-ray player, PS5 and streaming services.

chenks

Suspended
you would need to connect the PS5 direct to the TV anyway (for [email protected]), and there is no harm connecting the sky box direct to the TV either. sky wouldn't be DTS anyway.

Bliffington

Standard Member
Thanks so much, you’ve really helped me out here. I was also considering the Sony A90J as it has DTS support but that obviously over £1k more. Last stupid question, connecting the dedicated Blu-ray player to the soundbar rather than the tv wouldn’t have any impact on the picture, right?

chenks

Suspended
it shouldn't have any impact assuming the soundbar is capable of passing thru 4k HDR/DV video. if it's a current model then i'd be surprised if it didn't support that.

ideally you want eARC enabled on both the TV and sounbdar.

Bliffington

Standard Member
it shouldn't have any impact assuming the soundbar is capable of passing thru 4k HDR/DV video. if it's a current model then i'd be surprised if it didn't support that.

ideally you want eARC enabled on both the TV and sounbdar.
You’ve done me proud here mate, really appreciate the replies. Thanks

chenks

Suspended
and, of course, for the PS5 connected direct to the TV, make sure you have a suitable spec HDMI cable.

you'll want an "Ultra High Speed HDMI cable". capable of up to 48Gbps

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom