LG OLED77W9 Weird Darkening of Pixels?

toontoonizer

Novice Member
Had an LG OLED77W9 since May 2020 and today this was visible when turned on:

IMG20220211124228.jpg

Yeah this is not an image, this is the screen. I ran pixel refresher 4 times and this has mostly resolved it. There is a very faint darkening of the pixels in this area, but this is not visible in normal use only when darker mid tone are displayed or a uniform grey. Here is a shot post pixel refershes (it actually looks more prominent in the picture - contrast is much less with my eyes):
IMG20220211190053.jpg

I got this from John Lewis so has a 5 year guarantee and also has the LG extended warranty they were offering at the time i bought this.

Given that pixel refresh has mostly resolved it - should I call up John Lewis and get it addressed or see how it goes?

Last edited:

Paul D

Looks like the pixel refresher ran when the TV was subject to sunlight on part of the screen.
It should clear. Just make sure the sun doesn't directly hit the screen etc.
The refresher works on pixel voltages that are affected if the screen is warmer in certain parts.
Same can happen if you watch a letterbox movie and instantly turn the TV off. If the short refresher is due to run (in standby), it can have letterbox bands the next time it switches on.

Last edited:

toontoonizer

Novice Member
Looks like the pixel refresher ran when the TV was subject to sunlight on part of the screen.
It should clear. Just make sure the sun doesn't directly hit the screen etc.
The refresher works on pixel voltages that are affected if the screen is warmer in certain parts.
Same can happen if you watch a letterbox movie and instantly turn the TV off. If the short refresher is due to run (in standby), it can have letterbox bands the next time it switches on.
Ah, damn that's some great insight and it makes sense why it's in such a weird position and shape. Unfortunately I can't do much about stopping the sun hitting the TV directly. Just gotta be wary of it from now on, thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom