LG OLED77C8 Flickering Unwatchably, Then OK?

tony @ suffolk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, We've had this TV for about three years now, & it's been faultless. However, yesterday lunchtime, when I turned the set on, it flickered madly. I switched channels (I was watching through a BT box via HDMI through Arcam AV30 processor) & the flicker was still there, but when I switched back it disappeared. Just one of those minor things I thought, and forgot about it.

Switched the system back on last night, and the flicker was back. I switched all sources - BT box, Fire TV, Apple TV, Oppo 4K player, then tried switching directly to the TV tuner with everything else off. Still there...I switched the TV off, then on again; the flicker disappeared and didn't return for the three hours or so we were viewing.

The set's covered by a Richer Sounds six-year warranty, so I was going to give them a buzz this morning. But when I tried the system this morning, everything's working perfectly, no sign of a flicker or glitch on any source. Odd. My first thought last night was that the power supply was on the way out, but they don't usually heal themselves! I'm unsure what to do now. I guess I should get Richer Sounds to check it out, but I did wonder if there was something amiss that I could maybe sort out?

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks, Ron! I've applied for this modification - hopefully, that's the problem.

I've now applied for a new power supply board via LG, but they haven't got any...Apparently, they received boards that were "Not to standard". So I've got to wait.

Having done a bit of research on this (as you do) it appears the symptoms my TV's suffering from aren't related to the power supply board issue. I think I shall contact Richer Sounds; as they're the vendor they have the responsibility to fix faults anyway.

Good old Richer Sounds! Phoned them yesterday, engineer arrived today and gave the diagnosis of a failed panel so he took the set away. They arranged for a loaner TV, which is now up & running. OK, it's “only” a 55” one, but at least we can watch the rugby at the weekend!

If the set's uneconomic to repair, as seems likely, Richer Sounds will supply a new equivalent replacement. Best place to buy TVs...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom