Question LG OLED65E7V

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Staedtler, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Staedtler

Staedtler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just taken delivery of my 65E7V which has twin Sat and Freeview tuners. One of my buying choices was the twin Sat tuner as I record a lot of stuff and am moving away from SKY.
    The problem is that I can't get "true" Freeview Play (as advertised) on the Sat channels. The EPG header shows FreeSat but has no Freeview Play.
    Freeview Play works OK when Freeview input is selected but using the Sat input when you open the EPG you can't see a thumbnail picture of the selected channel and if you click on the channel it does not open to watch on the tv. To do this you have to click again on a small box on the right of the EPG channel selection then select / click again on "Watch"
    I contacted LG support and they said that all their Sat TV's were like this, but do not offer any other help.

I have found a bit of a work around, but it is tedious. I noticed that if you are recording on a second channel ( to the USB) then the thumbnail image appears and the Satellite EPG works as it should with Freeview Play. So it looks like a software problem where the second input is not switching correctly for the EPG.

If I load the satellite channels manually selecting the normal Astra group I get 365 odd channels downloaded but now the EPG uses Freeview Play OK and instead of 'Freesat" being displayed in the header I get "Freeview Play" as expected.

So it looks like its an LG / Freesat software issue, but that does not help me having to sort through 365 channels when I only want the same as is available on the Freesat normal ( regional) set up.

Anybody else had this experience or am I the only one who thinks its a bit off paying a lot of money for a Freeview Play twin sat tuner TV only to find that it comes with 365 channels which you don't want / need?

2. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Freeview (DVB-T/T2) and Freesat (DVB-S/S2) are different/competing UK television service providers offering different feature-sets.

Freeview's catch-up service is called Freeview Play. And Freesat's catch-up service was (on some products) called Freetime - I dunno what they officially call it now.

Does the E7 actually offer a 'Freesat' tuning option?

3. Staedtler

Staedtler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does, on the auto tune satellite set up you get the option to choose Freesat or Other, if you choose Freesat it takes the postcode entered in initial set up and loads all the regional Freesat channels (115?)

4. Staedtler

Staedtler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that Freetime is now Freesat+ but I’m not certain

5. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Freesat+ refers to their PVR devices...

6. Staedtler

Staedtler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, I did not realise that They were different platforms by different companies, I just thought that Freesat was the sat version, you learn something new every day......

7. Staedtler

Staedtler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I guess that by choosing Other in the set up and downloading all the channels from the satellite cluster I’m using the Freeview Play embedded in the LG, which would make sense of what is happening.

All I need to do now is work out which actual channels I want and try to download just those. I think......