LG OLED65C1LA arc connection problem Samsung Sound Bar

mwilson1977

Novice Member
Hi. I can see there are already discussions on arc problems and have spent hours researching and testing different set ups on my system.. all having no luck. I have the above Tv and an older generation Samsung soundbar ‘curve’ (HW J6501) that is supposed to support arc connectivity. i can connect the sound bar via bluetooth or optical but when I try the arc connection option I get no sound. I am ensuring the soundbar is on the correct setting, and using the arc enabled hdmi on the Tv and soundbar. I’ve also ensured the arc setting is being used on the Tv sound setting. i don’t think it’s the spec of the hdmi lead as I am using an older one now, but have tried a 2.1 (from Xbox) and still no luck. Ultimately I am looking to replace the soundbar with a sonos arc but am worried that arc within the tv is faulty or is just a temperamental thing and want to try and fix it before I invest any further and potentially have the same problem. Appreciate I can connect the sonus via another setting but don’t t really want to use two remotes. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

whovous

Standard Member
Here is what worked for me after hours of failed tries. The settings took care of themselves automatically after this.
1) Unplug every cable from the C1, including power.
2) Wait five minutes.
3) Reconnect power and the ARC HDMI cable. Make sure you use the right slots.
4) Reconnect ethernet cable.
5) Open an app on the C1. I used youtube, FWIW.

When I did the above, I got sound automatically. I connected more devices that previously did not work, and got sound from them as well.

mwilson1977

Novice Member
Hi. That’s great, many thanks I’ll give that a go. One question I’m not using an Ethernet for anything, it’s all over Wi-Fi could that be part of the problem. Thanks again.

whovous

Standard Member
Wired is faster than wireless, but if you have a picture, then your connection is more than good enough to also have sound. This should not be part of the problem. Then again, it could be said that none of us should have ever had this problem in the first place.

blunden

Standard Member
Wired is faster than wireless, but if you have a picture, then your connection is more than good enough to also have sound. This should not be part of the problem. Then again, it could be said that none of us should have ever had this problem in the first place.
On most TVs, Wi-Fi is actually faster than the built-in ethernet port since it's only 100 Mbit/s. For most other devices wired is preferred though of course. :)

whovous

Standard Member
Wow, it never occurred to me that the built-in port might be limited to such old-school speeds. None of this matters with respect to the problem posed by the original poster, but it is still an interesting rabbit hole to get lost in.

blunden

Standard Member
Wow, it never occurred to me that the built-in port might be limited to such old-school speeds. None of this matters with respect to the problem posed by the original poster, but it is still an interesting rabbit hole to get lost in.
Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I found out a few years ago while looking into upgrading to a new TV. You can use USB ethernet adapters on at least some TVs to rectify it, especially on TVs with USB 3 ports (not LG). The thinking is likely that you'll only find content with a bitrate higher than 100 Mbit/s when streaming remuxed 4K bluray rips, but the cost difference must be miniscule.

@mwilson1977 Have you made sure to update the firmware on both the TV and soundbar? Regarding HDMI cables, ARC (and eARC) uses the pins originally intended for ethernet so any cable that supports that (released at the time of HDMI 1.4) should work perfectly fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom