• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG OLED65B6 - ARC sound output issues to Onkyo

monkey butler

Established Member
Hi all

Hoping someone out there can help me.

I've got the LG OLED65B6V connected to my Onkyo HT-R538 via HDMI 2 on the LG into the TV input on my Onkyo.

My LG sound is set to:
Audio out (optical/HDMI ARC)
Digital sound out - auto
Simplink hdmi CEC - on

Sometimes when I turn everything on I get sound to the amp, other times I get nothing, and the LG has turned itself back to internal tv speaker output. When it does so this, I can repeatedly set the LG sound back to audio out numerous times and I still get no sound to the Onkyo. I can turn off both devices. There doesn't appear to be any logic in fixing the issue, just persistence.

To add a slight layer of complexity to the issue I'm controlling everything with my Logitech Harmony Ultimate, although I don't think this is causing the issue.

The Onkyo HDMI Setup settings are:
Audio tv out - on
Lip sync - enabled
HDMI control - on
ARC - auto
Power control - off

Anyone got any ideas as it's driving me mad? It's just taken me 25 minutes to get the sound coming out of my Onkyo and I'm 99% certain that after changing every setting it's working with all the original settings above?

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
To add a slight layer of complexity to the issue I'm controlling everything with my Logitech

Most likely is causing the issue.
HDMI CEC is a universal remote feature and while turned on it will fight and contradict commands from the harmony.

The catch is that you need CEC on to get ARC.
So are you using ARC or optical?
If optical then you can turn off CEC.

monkey butler

Established Member
Turn off HDMI control.

Most likely is causing the issue.
HDMI CEC is a universal remote feature and while turned on it will fight and contradict commands from the harmony.

The catch is that you need CEC on to get ARC.
So are you using ARC or optical?
If optical then you can turn off CEC.

I'm using ARC, as I had lip sync issues that I couldn't resolve using optical.

dw89

Established Member
Id suggest it has to do with the switch on sequence. Make sure amp/sources are 'on' and 'up' before turning on tv. I have a Yammy, E6 and I have the same thing....sometimes sound thru amp, sometimes tv. Changed sequence and alls fine;)

Dave:)

monkey butler

Established Member
Temporarily stopped using the Harmony. Realised that there's now a yellow standby light on my Onkyo instead of a red one. When I turn Onkyo it automatically turns on the Onkyo now, and the sound output always works.

I'm now wondering one whether to go down one of the two routes:

1. Tell harmony to ignore the Onkyo power status, and that it is always on.

2. Dump the harmony altogether. However, this gives me the problem of how to control my Xbox as a blu Ray player, as I don't want to have to start using my controller for blu Ray remote control.

Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom