LG OLED55G1GLA and SN11RG

mattgod69

Hi everyone, i hope you are all managing to stay safe and well.

I have just purchased and set up my first LG TV (OLED55G1GLA) and new LG SN11RG Soundbar. I do apologise in advance if I am asking some daft questions. I am pleased with the TV and the Soundbar, which is very different from my Samsung TV which has now replaced. The piture is fab although i have occasionally noticed a bit of lag when the camera is fast moving... i suspect this is just me getting used to it rather than there being an issue, although others may have some comments or suggestions... it may be due to the setup..

Firstly, I not sure if anyone else had this issue but I did not get any optical lead in the box for the Soundbar. Obviously is not a problem but I just wondered if this has happened to anybody else. I think the soundbar should come with one.

Anyway, I initially connected to the Soundbar using an optical lead i already had but I am not totally sure if the subwoofer was working when doing this (I knocked my back out earlier in the week and was limiting movment and was relying on others to check, but it was not doing a great deal if it was working). Anyway, I subsequently bought a HDMIeARC cable and I'm now connected using this and the subwoofer seems to work. Presumably the subwoofer should work with an optical lead?

As you may know, the Soundbar does have some HDMI sockets on the rear (three in total) I have a set-top box, a Blu-ray recorder and a Xbox and PlayStation. This means I'm effectively one HDMI port short on the TV so I wondered if I could try and connect the HDMI from the Xbox into the Soundbar. I am not sure these HDMI sockets are for, but it didn't seem to work when I tried it although I may need change something in the settings? What are these ports for.... just inputs?

I then tried to use my HDMI splitter in one of the HDMI sockets on the television to provide me with some more HDMI ports but this does not seem to work, the television just reports that there is no signal. It is not possible to use hubs with the TV? I used the same hub with my Samsung TV without problem.

Other minor things i have found.... are you also able to get the soundabr to turn on or off anutomatically when the TV is turned on or off?

Finally, I cannot also see how to format a hard drive which is inserted into the USB.... its not a major issue but i was going to start with the drive being fresh.... i can do on a PC of course but would have thought the tv could do it...

Many thanks in anticipation for your comments and suggestions.

Matt

next010

Distinguished Member
Read the LG WebOS manual it will help you better understand how the TV works.

The SN11RG has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output (also used for ARC/eARC).

For eARC in WebOS
Sound->Advanced Settings->
eARC support = on
HDMI audio input format = bitstream
Digital Sound Output = Pass-through

When devices are connected to the SN11RG you must cycle through the inputs of the soundbar to display them e.g. TV would be the ARC connection for audio, HDMI1, HDMI2 are the name of the other inputs. Use the F button on the remote.

For 4K HDR support deep colour must be enabled on HDMI2 (eARC port) of the TV
WebOS->Devices->HDMI Settings

Also in here is the control for Simplink (HDMI-CEC) so should be set to on, this controls devices via HDMI.

You can also go to General->devices->external devices->universal control settings and in here try to add the LG soundbar as a new device if it has not properly detected it, this will give the TV remote more control over the device if it works.

HDMI multi port switches/splitter should work normally but your switch might be HDMI 1.4 or 2.0, so devices connected to the switch should be at 1080p 60hz or 4K 60hz to work. The TV has HDMI 2.1 ports and currently there are no HDMI 2.1 switches.

For USB use NTFS formatted drives, you should be able to format from Home dashboard of WebOS by selecting the USB.

As for what devices to plug into the sound bar the Blu-ray player is probably the best option as it makes the most sense as its not limited in any way by the sound bar.

The game consoles (if they are the latest) would be limited by the soundbar as it doesn't support all of the features of the TV. If you dont care about that and only ever use 4K 60hz HDR output then its fine to connect them to the soundbars HDMI inputs.

Be sure to set the picture mode of HDMI2 to game optimizer mode if so, otherwise it will lag on games.

The set top box you probably want to keep direct to the TV for ease of access, so you dont have to cycle through inputs of the sound bar.

mattgod69

Read the LG WebOS manual it will help you better understand how the TV works.

The SN11RG has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output (also used for ARC/eARC).

For eARC in WebOS
Sound->Advanced Settings->
eARC support = on
HDMI audio input format = bitstream
Digital Sound Output = Pass-through

When devices are connected to the SN11RG you must cycle through the inputs of the soundbar to display them e.g. TV would be the ARC connection for audio, HDMI1, HDMI2 are the name of the other inputs. Use the F button on the remote.

For 4K HDR support deep colour must be enabled on HDMI2 (eARC port) of the TV
WebOS->Devices->HDMI Settings

Also in here is the control for Simplink (HDMI-CEC) so should be set to on, this controls devices via HDMI.

You can also go to General->devices->external devices->universal control settings and in here try to add the LG soundbar as a new device if it has not properly detected it, this will give the TV remote more control over the device if it works.

HDMI multi port switches/splitter should work normally but your switch might be HDMI 1.4 or 2.0, so devices connected to the switch should be at 1080p 60hz or 4K 60hz to work. The TV has HDMI 2.1 ports and currently there are no HDMI 2.1 switches.

For USB use NTFS formatted drives, you should be able to format from Home dashboard of WebOS by selecting the USB.

As for what devices to plug into the sound bar the Blu-ray player is probably the best option as it makes the most sense as its not limited in any way by the sound bar.

The game consoles (if they are the latest) would be limited by the soundbar as it doesn't support all of the features of the TV. If you dont care about that and only ever use 4K 60hz HDR output then its fine to connect them to the soundbars HDMI inputs.

Be sure to set the picture mode of HDMI2 to game optimizer mode if so, otherwise it will lag on games.

The set top box you probably want to keep direct to the TV for ease of access, so you dont have to cycle through inputs of the sound bar.
Thank you for the reply.... very useful and detailed.

I have the soundbar connected using the eARC and it does appear to be turning on and off now.... it wasnt before... maybe it stops this if opt is displayed on the bar (for some reason it did this ealier). The bar has already been detected and can be controlled from the tv remote no problem at all... like all the other devices.

The xbox is working now plugged into the bar. I stupidly thought the bar would autoswitch and see that an output was being used. i have also now seen how to format the drive.... doh.... i told you mthey were silly questions! lol

My consoles are not the latest gen, they are previous gen, so the fact they are limited is fine (I assumeyou mean refesh rate... the resolution is not reduced is it?). If and when i upgrade i will probably change the bluray recorder and player to the soundar... i probably will in any event next time i pull out to change things....

If i move devices around the unputs I assume I need to change the univesal device settings. When this happened earlier (before i used one of the hdmi ports for the bar), the hdmi that the bar was connected to was still being listed as a set top box or player?

Many thanks once again for taking the time to respond.

Matt

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the reply.... very useful and detailed.

I have the soundbar connected using the eARC and it does appear to be turning on and off now.... it wasnt before... maybe it stops this if opt is displayed on the bar (for some reason it did this ealier). The bar has already been detected and can be controlled from the tv remote no problem at all... like all the other devices.

The xbox is working now plugged into the bar. I stupidly thought the bar would autoswitch and see that an output was being used. i have also now seen how to format the drive.... doh.... i told you mthey were silly questions! lol

My consoles are not the latest gen, they are previous gen, so the fact they are limited is fine (I assumeyou mean refesh rate... the resolution is not reduced is it?). If and when i upgrade i will probably change the bluray recorder and player to the soundar... i probably will in any event next time i pull out to change things....

If i move devices around the unputs I assume I need to change the univesal device settings. When this happened earlier (before i used one of the hdmi ports for the bar), the hdmi that the bar was connected to was still being listed as a set top box or player?

Many thanks once again for taking the time to respond.

Matt

opt would probably be optical, this interface is old and only used as a last resort. eARC can pass more audio formats than ARC/optical.

If consoles are last gen that yeah those are fine connected to the soundbar, Xbox One doesn't really make full use of 120hz or VRR and PS4 doesn't even support those features.

As they are connected direct to the soundbar you can set try setting their audio output to PCM 5.1 for better sound but some people simply prefer PCM 2.0 stereo. Dolby/DTS 5.1 would be lower quality but the bar may process that audio differently, its a personal preference.

You can set Xbox to Dolby Atmos output but Xbox uses a virtual upmixer on everything so non-Atmos content gets affected, again personal preference.

In WebOS game optimizer settings set prevent input delay to boost mode, this treats 60Hz input as 120hz and will lower input lag a lot, useful for older 60Hz only consoles.

You can swap devices around as much as you want, the labels you can change manually, all the universal remote process does is program the remote with IR commands to use on that device.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom