LG OLED55G16LAG1 vs Sony XR55A80JU

redz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have lost the weekend trying to weigh up which is better suited.I have a B7 that has suffered the colour burn in the middle of the screen so Richer Sounds are offering a PX against a new TV. I think i have broken it down to these two after a few demos. The misses likes the LG, prefers the Sony and thinks any Samsungs have an ugly bezel so we are down to 2 with similar price points

• I have an extensive Plex library which is DTS, on an old Mac mini server. Im not sure how it will hold up to transcoding. Ideally i want this as a native app so its easier for the family to know how to use! 😅
  • I have a xbox series x and ideally want to take advantage of the graphical capabilities for gaming. this would need to be direct to the Tv with audio passing through to the amp (Denon AVR6400h)
  • Catch up apps are important to the family but Virgin has those i believe?
  • The usage is probably 50/50 between tv/films and gaming

So, im undecided between the two. Will the Sony really suffer on Gaming and am i going to miss much from the LG? Is the LG likely to have an 'upgrade' to DTS or is it chip based? I think the question is which one of the tow am i most likely to be most happy with.

We could stretch to a 65" but unsure if this is too big with about 2.4m viewing distance?

Thanks All!

To be honest there's not much between them. I don't think the LG has DTS or will do, but I may be mistaken on that. The Sony is meant to upscale and handle motion better, which is very important to my viewing habits, and the Sony is currently £200 cheaper (I would also need a stand for the LG as I'm not wall mounting). However, if you play a lot of gaming, particularly with an xbox, the LG may be better choice for you.
Its a tough choice. I'm waiting for Black Friday before I finally decide as any late movement on price may swing it one way or the other.

For gaming first. LG>Sony.
For movies Sony>LG

Chances are the Sony you get won't come with the latest EVO panel. So if you want a panel that's more durable, go for the LG.

As far as DTS goes if you play back using the built in Plex client on the TV, then your server will be forced to transcode audio.

Depends on the rip when you made it, if you also included a standard Dolby Digital soundtrack next to the DTS one then you can just switch soundtracks. Audio transcoding is not a huge weight on the server unlike video.

You could always just use a dedicated streamer stick or box plugged into your Denon for sound.

Chances are the Sony you get won't come with the latest EVO panel. So if you want a panel that's more durable, go for the LG.
intersting.. how would i know this? they are on pre order

intersting.. how would i know this? they are on pre order
You don't, and likely won't after you own the TV either. There may be a way to find out by accessing the service menu, but I wouldn't risk it.

You don't, and likely won't after you own the TV either. There may be a way to find out by accessing the service menu, but I wouldn't risk it.
The Sony rep said all have the new evo panel or is this just the 84j

The info I have is only the A90J has the evo panel, I had originally thought it extended to the A80J too, but it turns out they are still able to get high brightness from the older type of panel. Doesn't make a huge difference either way since the brightness on TVs with the newer panel will still be restricted.

A84J is just a variant of A80J

The info I have is only the A90J has the evo panel, I had originally thought it extended to the A80J too, but it turns out they are still able to get high brightness from the older type of panel. Doesn't make a huge difference either way since the brightness on TVs with the newer panel will still be restricted.

A84J is just a variant of A80J
hmmm, this is what happens when u listen to a rep in currys lol. he said that they both have the evo panel but the 90 has the additional heat sync. im getting the impression that either will be a step up from the b7 and the Sony will be a better straight swap.

The A80J that was reviewed by Canadian outfit rtings.com seemed it may be using the new panel but they don't know for sure. Brightness figures were in like with the LG G1 which is.

European reviews however show the A80J having no higher brightness than TVs that are using the old panel type, supposedly in Europe you are more likely to get an A80J with the newer panel at 65" and especially 77".

However much the same as with LG, they probably lock the peak brightness per region even if the TV does have the new type of panel. LG do this with their C1 TVs globally, even those that do have the new panel type.

A new advancement to the panel tech has made them more durable, which in turn allows more brightness to be pushed without consequence (too much heat).

But there are OLEDs coming out that also get bright without the new panel type like the Panasonic JZ2000 and Philips OLED936, so it seems its possible to push high brightness even if you don't use the latest panel type.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much unless you have a particular use case that you know will push an OLED to its limits in terms of longevity (excessive use of content with static elements).

The A80J that was reviewed by Canadian outfit rtings.com seemed it may be using the new panel but they don't know for sure. Brightness figures were in like with the LG G1 which is.

European reviews however show the A80J having no higher brightness than TVs that are using the old panel type, supposedly in Europe you are more likely to get an A80J with the newer panel at 65" and especially 77".

However much the same as with LG, they probably lock the peak brightness per region even if the TV does have the new type of panel. LG do this with their C1 TVs globally, even those that do have the new panel type.

A new advancement to the panel tech has made them more durable, which in turn allows more brightness to be pushed without consequence (too much heat).

But there are OLEDs coming out that also get bright without the new panel type like the Panasonic JZ2000 and Philips OLED936, so it seems its possible to push high brightness even if you don't use the latest panel type.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much unless you have a particular use case that you know will push an OLED to its limits in terms of longevity (excessive use of content with static elements).
some gaming does have this but rarely more than a few hours and no sign of this on the b7 until the colour blooming in the middle then strangely the netflix logo which isn't on for long at all normally.

any other reason why the LG is better than the sony for gaming? (im leaning towards the Sony at the moment)

HGIG support for auto calibration of games.
Certification of Gsync/Freesync
Dynamic tone mapping
Black adjustment setting to aide the gamma flicker issue with VRR.
Used by developers when testing games.
Uses in-house chip rather than mediatek, so doesn't suffer from some of the problems that plague mediatek chips like blurriness in 4k 120hz mode.

HGIG support for auto calibration of games.
Certification of Gsync/Freesync
Dynamic tone mapping
Black adjustment setting to aide the gamma flicker issue with VRR.
Used by developers when testing games.
Uses in-house chip rather than mediatek, so doesn't suffer from some of the problems that plague mediatek chips like blurriness in 4k 120hz mode.
this isn't making the decision any easier! 🤣🤣

Its a simple decision imo. If you rate gaming>video then LG.
If you rate video>gaming then Sony.

Neither are bad at either.

last question.. i think!

is 2.4m viewing distance sufficient for a 65"?

Yes, that's very far. I view within a metre of my 65", sometimes even closer, especially for movies and games.

went for the 65" Sony A80.

Seemed like a bargain at 1499 minus the £900 Richer Sounds gave me for the B7 with screen burn.

Thanks for all the advice :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom