LG OLED55C8PLA or Panasonic 55Fz802 Oled

acerick22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Torn between the two, understand both are practically the same panel with different processing by each brand.

I'm going to watch in a fairly low light room, with Amazon Fire stick or Google Chromecast.

Both are same priced at £1500. Which one is better to go with overall please?

That depends on what's important to you. These were also my two top picks. I wanted the Panasonic for the out of the box picture quality, which is reportedly very accurate. The motion is also reportedly better on the Panasonic, but I have not seen them side by side to compare.

Overall I think the C8 is the best value and offers the best user interface. 4x full-bandwidth HDMI ports, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos (not sure how significant this is for TV speakers tbh), magic remote and WebOS.

Thanks for the note.

Picture quality is most important to me than Interface or Audio. Hence I believe the Panny should deliver that due to its better processor than the LG C8?

Both are the same price so it is a tough choice...what does the Panny lack over the C8? Is it just Dolby Vision? Which to be fair I'm not even sure I know what that exactly means?

Thanks for the note.

Picture quality is most important to me than Interface or Audio. Hence I believe the Panny should deliver that due to its better processor than the LG C8?

Both are the same price so it is a tough choice...what does the Panny lack over the C8? Is it just Dolby Vision? Which to be fair I'm not even sure I know what that exactly means?
There isn’t really an answer on here that can help your decision. Go and see both in person and see which you prefer. There’s not much between them.

I was in Richer Sounds Nottingham yesterday and they had the 55 inch of both side-by-side, wall mounted at eye height, showing the same Sky Sports Premier League feed. You could see straight away that the Pannie motion handling of the ball and players was superior with both static and tracking camera shots. The colours on the Panasonic also looked more natural. I then saw a couple of the post match interviews and, again, the Pannie had more natural colouring and skin tones.

Overall, standing back and watching both, my eyes were constantly drawn to the Panasonic over the LG. Of course, now, they are both the same price. It was not overly busy in RS yesterday and they had them on the back wall of their second room with a number of other panels. I was the only person in there for about 10 minutes and could get a good look. Unfortunately, the Sonys on the same wall were showing something else.

I was in Richer Sounds Nottingham yesterday and they had the 55 inch of both side-by-side, wall mounted at eye height, showing the same Sky Sports Premier League feed. You could see straight away that the Pannie motion handling of the ball and players was superior with both static and tracking camera shots. The colours on the Panasonic also looked more natural. I then saw a couple of the post match interviews and, again, the Pannie had more natural colouring and skin tones.

Overall, standing back and watching both, my eyes were constantly drawn to the Panasonic over the LG. Of course, now, they are both the same price. It was not overly busy in RS yesterday and they had them on the back wall of their second room with a number of other panels. I was the only person in there for about 10 minutes and could get a good look. Unfortunately, the Sonys on the same wall were showing something else.
Would a calibrated LG C8 be almost perfect though ?

I do not think there is anything that is close to 'perfect'- however you want to define that. You can also make the same argument for calibrating the Panasonic; that it would also show improvements. All of the current OLEDs have the strengths and weaknesses of their respective brand engineers in hardware and software implementations on the same LG panel.

Yesterday, out of the box (I guess), all I can say is that the Panasonic was the more engaging presentation.

I was in currys yesterday and able to view 65” c8,fz852,and af9 beside each other.the c8 was stunning firstly then I went on to the 852 and just wow.Ive got a Sony with Dv and an LG already and the pana not having it def don’t bother me.finally went on to the Sony and was like the C8 over again but def side by side on the sameness day similar settings over maybe half hour period if I was to take one away free it would’ve been the 852 hands down.

Pannie motion handling of the ball and players was superior with both static and tracking camera shots. The colours on the Panasonic also looked more natural. I then saw a couple of the post match interviews and, again, the Pannie had more natural colouring and skin tones.
Overall, standing back and watching both, my eyes were constantly drawn to the Panasonic over the LG.

I was in currys yesterday and able to view 65” c8,fz852,and af9 beside each other.the c8 was stunning firstly then I went on to the 852 and just wow. .... I if I was to take one away free it would’ve been the 852 hands down.

Thanks guys for the reviews.
As I own 2 of the best TV's ever made, The Pioneer KURO KRP500a, I just went into the Plasma forum, and a nice gentleman posted his personal experience.... @generalgizmo

Pioneer KURO 9G Owners Thread part 14

Quoted here for ease, as I also want to closely compare both of these OLED sites:

Did you check them both out in a demo room..?? Always the best thing to use your own eyes as some reviews or other people's opinions do not always suit your own...
Over the yrs prior to my oled.. the amount of reviews saying how this tv or that was a kuro beater .. so I checked myself... and none were.. only the last gen Panasonic plasmas were an alternative to my eyes..
The panny oled though is better than my kuro for movies as that's all it's for, cannot comment on sports or tv as have a kuro in front room for that... the LG will have dolby vision which the panny hasn't but it's similar in the pro mode 1 /2 with max frame OFF to the pure mode on the pioneers.
Maybe hold off on the LG and go richer sounds and get a demo of them both then decide..
Good luck..:smashin:

LG 65C8PLA vs Panasonic FZ802 or more likely the FZ952 version ...

Panasonic 65FZ952 AVF Review:
Panasonic FZ952 (TX-65FZ952B) Review

LG 65C8PLA AVF Review:
LG C8 (OLED65C8PLA) Review

More comparisons here, in. the Panasonic official owners thread:
Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

I just read the review and comments for the Panny FZ ...

Panasonic FZ952/ FZ950 (TX-65FZ952B) Review & Comments

@Phil Hinton I take from the review you feel the Panasonic FZ952 has 'a smidge' :D more Natural and cinematic image to the LG C8. Is this when playing SDR, HDR and Dynamic HDR? or does the C8 playing DV bring it to the Level of accuracy equal to the FZ952?

With all content and no, the C8 doesn't match (the Panasonic FZ), even with Dolby Vision content.

End of argument!

I just read the review and comments for the Panny FZ ...

Panasonic FZ952/ FZ950 (TX-65FZ952B) Review & Comments

End of argument!

So... are you making an appointment at a RS checking them out in person and see with your own eyes as they'll be the best judge.. more than what anyone else says..
I have only bought 1 tv without checking and that was a last gen kuro but only because I had a 7 series pioneer..
Also the fz802 does not have a speaker or the same remote as the fz952 like the ez..
Ideally the 802 would have suited me as a monitor... I use a 7.1 setup no use for tv speaker but the deal I got on my ez 6 months ago was that good I couldnt resist..

I do not think there is anything that is close to 'perfect'- however you want to define that. You can also make the same argument for calibrating the Panasonic; that it would also show improvements. All of the current OLEDs have the strengths and weaknesses of their respective brand engineers in hardware and software implementations on the same LG panel.

Yesterday, out of the box (I guess), all I can say is that the Panasonic was the more engaging presentation.
The Panasonic certainly would still benefit from being calibrated, but nowhere near as much as the LG (because the Panasonic is far more accurate out of the box). Things would be and are much closer between the two once both have been calibrated, but the Panasonic certainly still does have inherent advantages, including slightly better colour accuracy (even when calibrated), superior handling of colour gradients and smoother motion handling, both with interpolation enabled and disabled. The only real disadvantages it has are only having two full-bandwidth HDMI ports (one of which also serves as the ARC port) versus LG's four, as well as a lack of Dolby Vision support. In exchange for those things, you get the previously-mentioned picture quality benefits. I guess it depends on what you value more.

I just had this same dilemma and ended up going for the Panasonic due to the same reasons listed above, I'm very pleased with it, this was an upgrade to a 10 year old 58" Plasma

I was looking at the same albeit 65 versions. Saw both in Currys and both the missus and I agreed that the Panny had the better picture, though both were great. That said though I went with the LG. Why? most has been discussed in here, Dolby Vision, extra ports and the OS is so much better than the Firefox on the Panny (I was replacing a 55cx802b with the firefox os) which while very easy is also very basic.

Set it up with some settings from cnet and rtings and I'm very happy with it indeed, Dynasties in 4k last night was epic, massively better than the old set.

Philips oled gets my vote. (803)
Best dynamic range, maybe it is slightly second best to Panasonic for colors and to Sony for motion (but probably not) and to LG for OS and format compatibility, but it's the best overall.

Plus ambilight makes a big difference to much of the stuff I have on my screen, it's great!

LG C8 for me because of Dolby Atmos and the price difference. :)

Interesting. Price, makes sense. But I don't get the atmos from a small set of speakers clustered up by the screen. Atmos is fantastic, but you really need a separate system and speakers installation to benefit, at which point having it in the screen as well seems wholly redundant.

I'm not arguing with your opinion, I'm just asking for an explaination as I don't understand the benefit.

...Atmos is fantastic, but you really need a separate system and speakers installation to benefit, at which point having it in the screen as well seems wholly redundant.
A very good point.

I'm not going to get one of these Panasonic 802 OLED's now due to concerns about screen burn in/out so I'll keep my LCD for a bit longer, however if anyone is looking to buy a Panasonic 802 then I got JL to price match me today at £1329.99 and I have a case number I can give to someone if they are looking to buy and save them selves £170...
Just PM me and I'll give you the case number so you can save some pennies...

Interesting. Price, makes sense. But I don't get the atmos from a small set of speakers clustered up by the screen. Atmos is fantastic, but you really need a separate system and speakers installation to benefit, at which point having it in the screen as well seems wholly redundant.

I'm not arguing with your opinion, I'm just asking for an explaination as I don't understand the benefit.

A very good point.

Sorry guys, I meant Dolby Vision :)......... which is one of the factors in me getting the LG C8.

On the subject of Dolby Atmos......
If you have the time, make a trip down to your local Currys and test out the Samsung HW-N850, trust me when I say this.... the Atmos out of this soundbar and sub setup is extremely good and far exceeded my expectations.
I used to be an A/V amplifier and Speakers guy but after hearing Atmos on the these new generation high end SoundBars it has changed my view point.
I have ended up going for the Samsung HW-N950 for my garage conversions :eek:

Fair enough!
Some of the atmos sound projector bars are really good, but they depend on the room they're in having acoustically reflective and consistent surfaces. Installing speakers in all your walls and ceilings still gives you better soundstage separation, but it is a lot more work. I think we'll see tv with speakers sticking out of them soon for that atmos-enabled look. I like the curved acoustic reflection stand on the LG this year.

Dolby vision, if done well, is slightly better than non-dynamic hdr as it allows an OLED to play to its strengths and mitigate weaknesses. I've seen it be worse than regular hdr10 too though, and there's usually not much in it.

For me, ambilight on the Philips set adds something akin to surround sound but for your eyes. While the centre of your vision focuses on the screen your peripheral vision is filled with the colour and motion of the set. A driving game where you are travelling through tree shadowed track and have the whole room lighting up with sunshine as the sun-dappled effect is all around you is truly amazing. Having Sir Attenborough tell you stuff about the rainforest while your whole room is filled not just with the noises of the jungle but also the colour is a huge step up in immersion. Etc,etc.

The Philips isn't the best for ease of use, but it's ok. It's not the best for firmware updates, but it's android so you can usually find a thing to do what you need, although there are many different app developers. If you need an isolated screen with consistent built in apps, not using the inputs, and a "magic" remote, and have tunnel vision or otherwise bad peripheral sight*, then the LG is a better choice - otherwise the Philips gets my vote purely on picture quality and ambilight.

*I'm not mocking the afflicted, in the same way you can't watch 3d TV with one eye there are some people who have a very narrow field of view. This leads to a very inconsistent ambilight experience as they move their head to see the different parts of the screen the ambilight colours come in and out of their vision and it is apparently quite distracting. For people with a regular to wide peripheral vision the colours are always in vision so once the novelty wears off its just another layer of immersion washing subtly over your senses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom