LG OLED55C14LB Need a little help with HDMI 2 label

Weirdbeard

Novice Member
On Saturday I setup my OLED55C14LB and overall I'm happy with the results. I do have an issue with the input labelling though, which I seem to be unable to resolve.

I have a Yamaha RX-V679 AV Receiver connected via HDMI OUT ARC to HDMI 2 ARC/eARC on the C1. During initial setup I had the receiver switched on and connected to the TV while it went through the tuning and login process. When all was done, I noticed that HDMI 2 had been labelled "Kodi".

IMG_20211101_162035566.jpg

At that time the RX-679 had a Virgin Tivo box connected to HDMI 2 (labelled on the receiver as " Virgin") and a PC connected to HMDI 3 (labelled on the receiver as "PC").

I did experiment with Kodi a few years ago on the PC (which I mainly use for games) but I don't recall ever renaming/relabelling any Inputs or Outputs on any piece of equipment with "Kodi".

I'm baffled about where this "Kodi" label has come from, but even more confused about how to get rid of it.

Things I've tried:
  • Home Dashboard - Edit Inputs - HDMI2 is missing entirely as an option to edit.
  • Went through "Universal Control" setup multiple times - Yamaha receiver is recognised and Power and Volume of receiver work fine through the tv remote.
  • Hidden Menu (via Mute button spam) AV RESET - HDMI 2 is then recognised as " Yamaha Home Theatre" , which is great, until ARC is selected in sound output options. As soon as I do that a "Simplink" message pops up and the label simultaneously reverts to " Kodi".
  • Factory Reset - Reset to Initial settings. Again, when I select ARC for sound output, "Kodi" pops right back as the label.
  • I've been through every input label on the receiver itself, without finding "Kodi" mentioned anywhere. Also I scoured the receiver manual looking for an "Output" label setting that the LG might be picking up, but other than the network name and the Zone ID's which are all still default, I can't find one.

I'm aware of my advancing years and that the problem is probably situated between the remote and the sofa, but I just want to rename HDMI 2 to anything other than "Kodi" and any insight on how I might achieve this is would be most welcome.

EDIT: I've since discovered that if Simplink is disabled, the HDMI 2 label appears in "Edit Inputs" and can be changed. But as soon as Simplink is enabled the Kodi label appears again and overrides my edit. In fact you can watch it change back and forth by toggling Simplink on and off. As i need HDMI-CEC functionality, leaving Simplink disabled is not really an option.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
That's both strange and interesting, never seen that before.

LG does have a database of devices, that it auto brands with a label perhaps there is some kind of mistake in the database and it looks at that Yamaha and assigns it the incorrect label of some other device that runs Kodi.

Is the TV connected to the internet ?
  • disconnect from internet
  • unplug Yamaha from TV
  • perform factory reset
  • power off the TV from wall power socket for 10 minutes (LG keep a database of recent devices stored in service menu)

Now power back on the TV and leave it off the internet and connect the Yamaha, see if it auto brands it as Kodi, if so whatever is doing it is in the firmware.

A possible workaround is the Sharc, an eARC bridge for older sound systems, this would present as a different device to the TV and give you PCM 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 over eARC so its not just a name change your getting something from it. However if you plan on using HDMI inputs of the AVR this is not possible with sharc.

Weirdbeard

Novice Member

LG does have a database of devices, that it auto brands with a label perhaps there is some kind of mistake in the database and it looks at that Yamaha and assigns it the incorrect label of some other device that runs Kodi.

• unplug Yamaha from TV
  • perform factory reset
  • power off the TV from wall power socket for 10 minutes (LG keep a database of recent devices stored in service menu)

Now power back on the TV and leave it off the internet and connect the Yamaha, see if it auto brands it as Kodi, if so whatever is doing it is in the firmware.

A possible workaround is the Sharc, an eARC bridge for older sound systems, this would present as a different device to the TV and give you PCM 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 over eARC so its not just a name change your getting something from it. However if you plan on using HDMI inputs of the AVR this is not possible with sharc.
Hey there.

Thanks for the suggestions. It hadn't occurred to me that the labelling might be coming from an online database. I'll try this shortly and feedback.

The Sharc workaround looks interesting, but I might be tempted to offset it's cost against that of a new AVR if all else fails. In all other regards though this Yamaha still fits my needs, so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Weirdbeard

Novice Member

• unplug Yamaha from TV
  • perform factory reset

Ok I've tried this now, but even with the Internet disconnected, the TV still relabels the Yamaha AVR on HDMI2 as Kodi when Simplink is enabled.

On a positive note, I am becoming quite adept at whizzing through the first time setup process.

SeekerKuba

Turn on Tv, Turn on AVR. Turn off Avr. Go to home dashboard app on TV and edit name of Hdmi 2. I have noticed that hdmi name can be edited when it isn't in use.
I had also a problem with labels. My avr have 4 devices connected. Ps3, Ps4 pro, XSX and nvidia shield but TV recognised labels only for first 3 devices. Connection order:
1 Xsx
2 nvidia shield
3 ps3
4 ps4 is not recognized and is visible on tv as ps3
Another try
1 ps3
2 nvidia shield
3 ps4
4 Xsx is not recognized and is visible on tv as ps4

but to be honest it works anyway. The only problem i had was when the following issue occurred: tv turns on automatically the last used device but looks like this no longer happen.

Weirdbeard

Novice Member
Thanks to those who offered suggestions. It is appreciated.

The issue lay with a forgotten Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter attached between the HDMI out on the PC and the HDMI cable feeding the TV/AVR.

It had previously been configured to allow HDMI-CEC control of a long gone Kodi setup and was still trying to fulfill its purpose after at least 4 years.

Even with the PC fully shut down (but still connected at the outlet), the adapter was receiving power from the PC's USB socket and broadcasting "Kodi" to anything that would listen.

This didn't happen on either of the two previous Panasonic TV's it was attached to (TX-55CR852B & TX-55GZ1000B) which probably contributed to me forgetting it was ever there.

The fix was to remove the adapter and reconnect the HDMI cable directly to the graphics card.

Everything regarding the C1's input labels, HDMI-CEC behaviour and device recognition then fell into place and functions as expected.

No more Kodi label.

I was a bit too stubborn to just toss the adapter though, so I re-installed Kodi and re-configured the adapter to behave itself.

It's now in a drawer for the foreseeable future. I don't want to see "Kodi" again for a while.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom