LG OLED55B7V Good Morning Britain Logo

cadguycad

Novice Member
Hi,

I purchased a LG OLED55B7V in July 2018 from @Richer Sounds and its been a really good picture until recently..

I noticed a smudge on the bottom left of the screen which has been getting worse. I believe its the logo from good morning Britain.

I purchased from @Richer Sounds so I'm assuming my warranty is with them? I didn't purchase an extended warranty but it came with 5yrs guarantee.

What is the best method to arrange a repair?

Thanks In advance

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
Hi,

I purchased a LG OLED55B7V in July 2018 from @Richer Sounds and its been a really good picture until recently..

I noticed a smudge on the bottom left of the screen which has been getting worse. I believe its the logo from good morning Britain.

I purchased from @Richer Sounds so I'm assuming my warranty is with them? I didn't purchase an extended warranty but it came with 5yrs guarantee.

Thanks In advance
Hi there,

I was sorry to read your thread regarding the TV issues you've been having and offer my apologies.

To investigate this further with you I've dropped you a PM requesting more details.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

terryf

Hi,

Thanks In advance
You can move the logo off the screen when you want to watch using 4 way aspect ratio.

cadguycad

Novice Member
You can move the logo off the screen when you want to watch using 4 way aspect ratio.
thanks for the tip. it would be great if there is a way to set it per channel and between certain times

surely, It shouldn't be something you have to think about when its only on the screen for a few hours max a day and there are adverts in between. Seems like this model is not fit for purpose as I've seen lots of people with the same issue.

John

My b7 has been used for hours, daily in the 4 years since I got it.
Gaming , movies, black bars, on screen graphics, SkyQ menus etc etc
No issues for me.
You need to remember more people come online to complain than to praise

cadguycad

Novice Member
I would have praised it too. I agree with your comment, mine was great for everything you said until lockdown where I started watching a bit of breakfast tv.
I think it specifically cant handle that GMB yellow logo (even for a short time per day) but what else could cause a problem in future?

If I get it fixed, am I going to get the same issue again if I start watching another programme with a logo? Its such a short period of time that the logo is actually on the screen relative to everything else I watch. e.g. we watch a lot of football with static logo that don't cause issues.

mikej

I would have praised it too. I agree with your comment, mine was great for everything you said until lockdown where I started watching a bit of breakfast tv.
I think it specifically cant handle that GMB yellow logo (even for a short time per day) but what else could cause a problem in future?

If I get it fixed, am I going to get the same issue again if I start watching another programme with a logo? Its such a short period of time that the logo is actually on the screen relative to everything else I watch. e.g. we watch a lot of football with static logo that don't cause issues.

Yes, it appears that it's certain colours that can cause issues on some OLEDs - the GMB, Netflix and YouTube logos, plus the BBC News and Sky News banners are often mentioned and the red sub-pixel tends to get the blame. The pixels in those logos and banners are essentially wearing out at a quicker rate than the others, which is what leads to the ghostly images you're presumably seeing.

Because pixel wear is cumulative, watching GMB for 2 hours a day for a year could have a similar effect (on those particular pixels used in the logo) as watching it for 500+ hours in one go and all advert breaks will do is knock 10 mins or so off each hour.

If your panel gets replaced with an identical one, then there is definitely the potential for it to happen again, in which case avoiding the problematic programs would be the best option if you're willing to do that. If not, then watching them at reduced luminance/brightness settings (or even 'zooming' the banners/logos off the screen) would be a sensible precaution, IMO. What picture modes / luminance settings do you tend to use ?

Not that it helps you at the moment, but the presumption is that the additional measures and features added to recent generations of OLEDs to combat this potential issue will reduce the risk of it happening.

Last edited:

JustTheFacts

My b7 has been used for hours, daily in the 4 years since I got it.
Gaming , movies, black bars, on screen graphics, SkyQ menus etc etc
No issues for me.
You need to remember more people come online to complain than to praise
This is the reason I believe the improvement in manufacturing quality was a big part of why Burn In of 2018 and newer OLEDs is practically non existent. Many owners use their 2017 and older OLED TVs in the same manner and only on rare occasions do a few experience burn in. The vast majority of 2017 and older OLED owners are still using their TVs with no signs of burn in. This suggests a panel lottery due to manufacturing quality. Because there is no longer a panel lottery, with respect to burn in, the reports of OLED Burn In practically disappeared in 2018.

"You need to remember more people come online to complain than to praise." Gadegetobsessed's poll showed 35% of 2017 OLED TVs experienced burn in. This gives you an idea of how unrealistic complaint forums are on social media.

Last edited:

cadguycad

Novice Member
This is the reason I believe the improvement in manufacturing quality was a big part of why Burn In of 2018 and newer OLEDs is practically non existent. Many owners use their 2017 and older OLED TVs in the same manner and only on rare occasions do a few experience burn in. The vast majority of 2017 and older OLED owners are still using their TVs with no signs of burn in. This suggests a panel lottery due to manufacturing quality. Because there is no longer a panel lottery, with respect to burn in, the reports of OLED Burn In practically disappeared in 2018.

Do you think the improvement in manufacturing will be a benefit to me if they replace the panel? or is this only relevant for newer models than mine?

JustTheFacts

Do you think the improvement in manufacturing will be a benefit to me if they replace the panel? or is this only relevant for newer models than mine?
I would assume they are using OLED panels that have been manufactured after 2018 so this should benefit you. Even if they used a panel that was manufactured prior to 2018 the chances are still very slim that you would be the unfortunate one twice.

mikej

Depends if it's possible to fit a recent generation panel to an older OLED. There are likely to be differences (such as how the panel is driven) that could mean this won't be possible.

Some early OLEDs had heat issues which were thought to cause or exacerbate the issue, in which case a new panel wouldn't be a guarantee that the problem won't reoccur.

I would wait and see what happens first though, anyway.

cadguycad

Novice Member
Update>>
@Richer Sounds got this issue resolved for me.
I dealt with someone called Marianne. She was great, very nice on the phone, responding to emails/phone call efficiently.
The delivery drivers (Panther) were polite and helpful and I also received text updates from LG.

Luckily I had kept my packaging, Lg did send a box and lots of bubblewrap but I would have been a little concerned to send it to them just in bubblewrap.

We received the Tv back yesterday. It was away for exactly a week which is quite quick.

Thanks very much for everyone who has responded to the thread.

What I need to know now is are there any recommended settings that i could use to help prevent the issue reoccuring.

Doc2008

I have a similar issue on going at moment.
LG OLED55E7N purchased from richer sounds in November 17 started showing the good morning Britain logo burned in. Contacted @Richer Sounds this morning who advised me it was not covered by warranty and gave me number for LG.
Called LG and the guy there immediately agreed there were issues with panels produced in 2017, he advised that a discounted repair could be made.
I explained that if it is a fault then i should not have to pay at all. His reply was that they were acknowledging the fault by repairing at discounted price of £200. I told him that i had read that there were no 55E7N panels as they were the ones printed onto a glass sheet.
He checked stock and advised that his records show them as in stock. TV will need to be taken away for repair and could take up to 2 weeks. Couriers will contact me within a week to arrange this.
In order for this to proceed i had to pay the £200 during the call.
I went from a 42 inch Panasonic plasma to a 50 inch Panasonic plasma and never experienced any burn in. Thought OLED was the closest thing to plasma but am really disappointed at this having happened. Moreso as i was already nagging the wife that next TV would be another trip to richer sounds to get a 65 inch oled.
Now i am really not so sure.
Also unhappy at uncertainty now waiting to see if they take TV away only to find they don't have the panel it needs.
Real nuisance.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom