LG Oled48CX5LC AVR connections questions.

fastest

Novice Member
I have an LG Oled48CX5LC on order and should get this Tuesday 8th December 2020. I’m very excited, to say the least! My question concerns connections and future plans for AVR. The current system consists of a 13 year old Panasonic TX-P37X20B plasma telly, (which will be demoted to bedroom duties), a Yamaha RX-V563 AVR (again, pretty ancient in today’s terms, with 2 HDMi inputs and 1 output, all 1080p) and a 5.1 Dali Fazon Mikro speaker set-up. The tv sits on a low-slung tv cabinet that houses a YouvView box, Sony PS4 Pro and the Dali front and centre speakers. I plan to move the centre speaker into one of the shelves in the cabinet (it will be a tiny bit off-centre and around 6 inches lower than it currently sits-I guess this will be okay if I re-calibrate the AVR by using the “wired omni-microphone”?), as the 48CX sits quite a bit lower than my current plasma. The PS4 Pro doubles on Bluray/DVD and gaming duties.

The AVR sits in a Hi-fi rack along-side my Hi-fi (with a Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3 and Roksan K3 Amp-this has a by-pass facility-‘might want to hook my ATC SCM-11’s into the 5.1 setup at some point by getting an AVR that will allow this…’could even go 7.1!)

I’ve read that current AVR’s have the incorrect HDMi module and therefore won’t output HDMi 2.1 features, and I could see a PS5 or Xbox Series X in my future, so I’m inclined to wait until later next year when AVR’s are updated with the latest boards that can fully utilise the 2.1 features.

So my questions are as follows:

• I’m really not sure about what HDMI connector should go where, for best settings-I obviously want to preserve as much 4k goodness, although the only material I currently have on the 4K front would be the odd PS4 Pro game. Which cable should go where, should I just bypass my AVR at present-will routing through this restrict the LG 48CX’s resolution to 1080p?
  • My HDMi cables are all pretty old, so do I need to upgrade these (to Ultra High Speed Certified, again to ensure future-proofing)?
Thanks for any help with these admittedly nice conundrums that I have coming up.

next010

Distinguished Member
Option 1 connect PS4 Pro directly into the Yamaha
* limits to 1080p output with no HDR but all audio formats supported.

Option 2 connect PS4 Pro directly to the TV
* 4K HDR supported but audio is limited to PCM 2.0 (stereo) or Dolby 5.1 via HDMI-ARC.

Option 3 get the Sharc
* an eARC bridge for older sound systems, LG eARC can pass PCM 7.1 and Dolby True HD 7.1.

For PS4 pro set TV preset as game mode and in PS4 pro video settings manually change the RGB range from Auto to Low/Limited as PS4 sends wrong range if left on auto.

You will have to manually cycle between cinema and game modes for Blu-ray playback as Sony refuse to support ALLM (auto game mode) which the TV supports, the PS5 is no different, Xbox does support ALLM.

Getting certified Ultra high speed cables will rule out any problems in that area but do not need to be used for your existing hardware.

The current chipset used in HDMI 2.1 AVR's does not support DSC (dynamic stream compression) so they can pass HDMI 2.1 signals and features so long as the device does not support DSC.

Xbox uses DSC, PS5 does not.

fastest

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, I'll be honest, I'm a bit confused about those options.

Option 1 - does this mean the Tv won't be able to do over 1080p resolution, from any source?

Option 2 - so I would be limited by the Tv's sound system?-I must admit I didn't really look at reviewing the in-built sound of the 48cx, so would I be losing a lot here? Most of my current watching is terrestrial tv and Netflix (though this will change in 2021), so it's mainly stereo that's coming out of the front speakers only (not the centre).

Option 3 - Does the Sharc connect via HDMi cable to your devices, tv and AVR to allow full 4k plus all the AVR's sound modes/capabilities (5.1 or even 7.1, plus Dolby +DTS etc.)?

Option 1 connect PS4 Pro directly into the Yamaha
* limits to 1080p output with no HDR but all audio formats supported.

Option 2 connect PS4 Pro directly to the TV
* 4K HDR supported but audio is limited to PCM 2.0 (stereo) or Dolby 5.1 via HDMI-ARC.

Option 3 get the Sharc
* an eARC bridge for older sound systems, LG eARC can pass PCM 7.1 and Dolby True HD 7.1.

For PS4 pro set TV preset as game mode and in PS4 pro video settings manually change the RGB range from Auto to Low/Limited as PS4 sends wrong range if left on auto.

You will have to manually cycle between cinema and game modes for Blu-ray playback as Sony refuse to support ALLM (auto game mode) which the TV supports, the PS5 is no different, Xbox does support ALLM.

Getting certified Ultra high speed cables will rule out any problems in that area but do not need to be used for your existing hardware.

The current chipset used in HDMI 2.1 AVR's does not support DSC (dynamic stream compression) so they can pass HDMI 2.1 signals and features so long as the device does not support DSC.

Xbox uses DSC, PS5 does not.

next010

Distinguished Member
1 - the yamaha is limited to 1080p so anything plugged into its HDMI inputs will be limited to 1080p.

2 - HDMI-ARC only supports PCM 2.0, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1, even if your sound system supports more than that it cannot be passed from TV to the sound system. LG do not support DTS so that is also removed from the equation.

3 - Yes to all bar DTS which LG do not support over HDMI-eARC on the X series OLED. eARC is the new replacement for ARC but you need a compatible sound system, the sharc serves as a bridge to use old sound systems with eARC.

LG support over eARC
PCM 7.1
Dolby 5.1
Dolby Plus 5.1 Atmos
Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos
Dolby MAT (PCM + Atmos)

The Sharc connects to the TV eARC port and its other end goes into one of the HDMI inputs of your sound system, you don't connect it to the output of the sound system (as you would with a true ARC/eARC system).

DTS and DTS-HD can be decoded as PCM 7.1 if your media player supports it which PS4 does, just select PCM as the output, there is no quality loss.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom